Gastric By-pass travelers -do you?

txtwinmom

Do you tell your waiter and tablemates why you are not eating much? When I travel I will be at 15 months after my surgery. I just don't eat much and somethings really still upset my stomach - like tomato sauce! So how much do you share?

I did not have gastric bypass but I had the gastric band. On my last cruise, after about 4 days, the waiter leaned over and whispered in my ear, "don't you like our food?" He noticed that I did not eat much but I tried most everything. I laughed and told him that I had stomach surgery and could not eat very much at all. He was glad to know that it wasn't due to the food! He saw to it that I got smaller portions and asked if there were any special requests. I told him that I just could not eat a lot at one time.

They are very eager to meet your requests about tomatoes, so just ask.

I didn't gain a pound and did sample a lot of foods. It helped that my husband and brother who were along, ate my leftovers!

Have a great time and don't worry!

I have cruised before, and I use the answer that I give most every waiter in every restaraunt..... It was delicious, I just don't eat very much. I have also told the waiters that I don't tolerate sugar, so they brought me sf desserts each night... only a bite or two, but YUM!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, even though I am 10 years out, I still can't finish the big, rich meals.

At home, I am conservative and share, or order light. But on the cruise, I do order the appetizer or soup, and and an entree. I sometimes order dessert. I get concerned comments from wait staff (and floor managers) who think that I don't like the food. I usually just point to my stomach and say something like "I had an operation on my stomach and I can't each much). It doesnt take long for them to understand my eating habits and not worry about the food quality. Unfortunately, the biggest problem is that I am ready for a snack later, and keeping food inside the room is difficult, even with a suite. I usually try to train the cabin steward to keep my ice stocked up so I can keep a small snack (a little cheese or fruit, also diet drinks or juice) in my lunch bag-ice chest. Do yourself a favor and bring some small ziplocks or Gladware. In closing, I think that cruising is the one time I dont feel guilty about ordering something I may not finish. I know that I have already paid a good price for it!

PS. Congrats to you. I know it was hard!:o

I don't volunteer the information (I'm 6 years post-op RNY), but at meals when I ask for a sugar-free dessert or jam/syrup substitution, someone will always ask if I'm diabetic and then I tell them. The waiters seems to accept that I don't care to eat the full portion but that I am enjoying the part I do eat, without going into any detail. I think it's more prevalent now for people not to clean their plates.

I am post op rue-n-y 4yrs and I have been on 2 cruises since then. I am asked on day one in the Dining room if my food is o.k., but I have noticed that after that our wait staff seem more concerned that I have something that pleases my palate than the amount of food I eat. I look forward to my next cruise as I wish to see the exercise room on the Freedom.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for answering my question - I to had Gastric bypass - and eat in small amounts - I am usually hungry sometime later in the evening. I at least will be able to taste - which is still great! I have a husband who doesn't mind my leftovers....

Hope all stay well.

My husband and I have both had RnY gastric bypass (we actually met at a support group - he was post op I was pre!) anyhoo - he tells people about having the surgery - why he doesn't eat as much, why he always orders the sugar free dessert, etc - he's really open that way - and it's one of the things I love about him. I'm not as open and tend not to share that info with people becasue I'm not as comfortable talking about weight - or anything else that is really personal. He respects that and has never "volunteered" my info to others without my permission (another reason why I love him so).

I say, share whatever info you feel comfortable with. :D

• 5 months later...
Do you tell your waiter and tablemates why you are not eating much? When I travel I will be at 15 months after my surgery. I just don't eat much and somethings really still upset my stomach - like tomato sauce! So how much do you share?

We share with the wait staff if they start flipping "does Madam not like, let me get you something" also we have started cruising NCL exclusivly they are more accomidating I have found for dietary changes, always happy to have me a big cheese plate ready to go after each meal ( I can no longer eat meat, much like your tomato sauce I assume) with some fruit and crackers. We usuall sit alone my hubbie does not like to eat with strangers and works with the public at home so likes to be very private when with his family.

• 11 months later...

also just had gastric bypass in june, will be on oasis oct 10. glad to know what to do. i get questened often when i eat out, which is every friday nite with a grp. do not want to 1. gain wt 2. throw up the whole cruise. again thanks alma

I'm 7 years post-op RNY gastric bypass. I still don't each very much at one time - I tend to do 5 or 6 small meals a day. I'm totally open about my surgery and tell the wait staff the first night because they're concerned I didn't like the food because I leave so much. I do ask them to find me the smallest portions if possible so I don't waste so much food.

Another thing - I have no problem ordering more than one item - I ask the table to share with me so I can have a taste of everything I want. I've found that most folks are happy to do that and are glad that someone has suggested it.

I had RNY 18 months ago, and this will be my first cruise since then. I'm still a "foodie"...I like to try a bite or two of everything. I tend not to share with people (especially strangers) that I've had the surgery, because it tends to become a topic of discussion. That makes me uncomfortable, and it's typically the 110 lb women who ask a million questions (like they really need to know, lol). :p

I see myself still ordering like I did before...soup, appetizer, entree, and dessert. But of course I'll just be eating a little bit of each, and not cleaning my plate like I would have a couple of years ago. :o I'm pretty tolerant of most foods, but for those who aren't there's usually some good choices on the alternative menu (grilled steak, chicken, fish, etc)

I don't intend on telling the wait staff about my surgery, but I have been looking at some of the menu's I've found online, and deciding what would be okay for me to eat. If I'm questioned about it, I'll probably just blame it on pregnancy (I'll be 5 months along by then, and I'm sure it will be pretty obvious).

Does anyone else have problems with sugar alcohols (a common substitute in sugar free deserts...commonly referred to as malitol, sorbitol, etc)? Personally, I can tolerate a few bites of a real dessert better than I can something with sugar alcohol. It gives me bathroom issues, if you know what I mean. :eek: How would I go about finding out what type of sweetener RCCL uses in their sugar free desserts?

I had the DS/BPD 10 years ago. I still have an eating disorder and a foodie to the max.

I eat small portions several times a day breakfast, snack, lunch, afternoon snack, 5 pm sushi, then, late dining. I usually order an appetizer, soup and entrée in the main dinning, I just take my time nibbling and usually I don’t finish everything. The portions are not huge, so I don’t feel like I am over ordering. Dessert is not a big deal, if I get one at all I take a couple bites with a cup of coffee. I can eat sugar, I just am not a big sweet eater. I am an over eater of fats. I will eat seafood, anytime, anywhere, a cruise ship is like my seafood heaven.

• 2 weeks later...
I had RNY 18 months ago, and this will be my first cruise since then. I'm still a "foodie"...I like to try a bite or two of everything. I tend not to share with people (especially strangers) that I've had the surgery, because it tends to become a topic of discussion. That makes me uncomfortable, and it's typically the 110 lb women who ask a million questions (like they really need to know, lol). :p

I see myself still ordering like I did before...soup, appetizer, entree, and dessert. But of course I'll just be eating a little bit of each, and not cleaning my plate like I would have a couple of years ago. :o I'm pretty tolerant of most foods, but for those who aren't there's usually some good choices on the alternative menu (grilled steak, chicken, fish, etc)

I don't intend on telling the wait staff about my surgery, but I have been looking at some of the menu's I've found online, and deciding what would be okay for me to eat. If I'm questioned about it, I'll probably just blame it on pregnancy (I'll be 5 months along by then, and I'm sure it will be pretty obvious).

Does anyone else have problems with sugar alcohols (a common substitute in sugar free deserts...commonly referred to as malitol, sorbitol, etc)? Personally, I can tolerate a few bites of a real dessert better than I can something with sugar alcohol. It gives me bathroom issues, if you know what I mean. :eek: How would I go about finding out what type of sweetener RCCL uses in their sugar free desserts?

I have a similar prob w/ artificial sugars, except sweet n low, it is better for me to have 2 bites of the real stuff. BTW becareful it is still easy to gain a lot of weight while prego even after gb, and then its still hard to get it off. LOL but cruising helps me lose weight, all the walking, so its my diet trick.

I've not had a surgery and I'm heading off on my first cruise in about 5 months. I've always struggled with my weight and this year I've lost 120 pounds so far. I still don't eat potatoes, pastas or breads but just about anything else is good! I've been worried they would put it in front of me and it would go to waste... So I guess I can just tell them ahead of time to not serve it to me so it wont.

I'm not sure it's anyone's business....and I doubt they will care what or how much you eat!

On the contrary, weight loss surgery patients are frequently asked by servers (both at home and on cruises) if their food is okay, etc. Most of us eat very small amounts, and that sometimes gives the impression that the food is bad. I don't think I've had a single restaurant meal go by without some type of comment from the server, even though they are always polite about it.

As a 10 year post-op all I can say is RELAX and order what your post op criteria is. If you want to take one bite of many different dishes --DO! You have no explaining to do; no excuses to make. This is the time to have foodie fun! Ok so for those who need to "protein first" then follow your personnal post op requirements. For me...and only me.... here is what I do...

Protein first - vegetables second - carbs third

Seafood goes down sooo goood...soup OH YES...starches...not so much...leave it on the plate? Sure.

OR

3 bites of protein, 2 bites of veggies, 2 bites of carbs--repeat until full.

YMMV

Teri

As a 10 year post-op all I can say is RELAX and order what your post op criteria is. If you want to take one bite of many different dishes --DO! You have no explaining to do; no excuses to make. This is the time to have foodie fun! Ok so for those who need to "protein first" then follow your personnal post op requirements. For me...and only me.... here is what I do...

Protein first - vegetables second - carbs third

Seafood goes down sooo goood...soup OH YES...starches...not so much...leave it on the plate? Sure.

OR

3 bites of protein, 2 bites of veggies, 2 bites of carbs--repeat until full.

YMMV

Teri

Good advice Teri. You've been "living the life" for 10 years, and that experience counts for a lot. :)

I'm debating on whether I should try any of the chilled fruit soups. They've always been a favorite of mine, but I'm a bit concerned with the amount of sugar in them. I actually tolerate moderate amounts of sugar okay, so maybe I'll try a bit.

Good advice Teri. You've been "living the life" for 10 years, and that experience counts for a lot. :)

I'm debating on whether I should try any of the chilled fruit soups. They've always been a favorite of mine, but I'm a bit concerned with the amount of sugar in them. I actually tolerate moderate amounts of sugar okay, so maybe I'll try a bit.

Try 1 bite, 1 wonderful, tasty, savory, bite...if it goes down (and we know if it will!!!) take 1 more...take your time...eating is not a race or a man verses food contest.

Post ops really have to learn not to get too hungry or eat too fast. I will nibble all day long. If I wait too long, my tummy will close up and I will get sick on 2 bites. Just me...but I would rather be less hungry at dinner then too hungry and running for the nearest ladies room.

I am not fat...I am not thin....I put my fork down without even thinking about it. I eat what I want...when I want...but I am satisfied with 3 bites...really!!! Everyday is a new day...love your food!!!!

Teri

Try 1 bite, 1 wonderful, tasty, savory, bite...if it goes down (and we know if it will!!!) take 1 more...take your time...eating is not a race or a man verses food contest.

Post ops really have to learn not to get too hungry or eat too fast. I will nibble all day long. If I wait too long, my tummy will close up and I will get sick on 2 bites. Just me...but I would rather be less hungry at dinner then too hungry and running for the nearest ladies room.

I am not fat...I am not thin....I put my fork down without even thinking about it. I eat what I want...when I want...but I am satisfied with 3 bites...really!!! Everyday is a new day...love your food!!!!

Teri

Ha ha! I know it will definitely go down, but the problem is what it may do to me about 20-30 minutes later, lol. ;) I don't "dump" per say, but too much sugar will give me the poops.

I'm almost 19 months out from surgery, and I'm still amazed at the different attitude I have toward food now. I made 6 batches of homemade fudge since yesterday evening, and I indulged in one tiny piece...and that was all that I wanted. A couple of years ago, I would have taken out a whole pan of it by myself. :eek:

Oh sister, do I know it. Before the "surgery" the concept of "all", "some" and "none" was lost on me.. I know "all"; and I know "none"; but having "some" not so much.

So here is my post-op speel.... "some" is good, even if no one else knows.

Teri

Archived