It's time to stop worrying.....

julieanne

That's me: 4'11" (on a good day, lol!) and wear a size 4 or kids 2.5. It is a royal pain in the you-know-what.

Being from the Tourist Capital of the US, Orlando, I try to avoid "the tourist look" when I travel myself. I can be comfy, cool, and still look very presentable.

However, if I were to go to Europe, my American identity would be revealed the moment I opened my mouth to speak and my Southern drawl came out! :)

Katie Gator, I see we are from the same neck of the woods, but I am the opposite of you... a little over 6'tall.

Julieanne - just interested, do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit because of your height? I am 4ft 11ins and from the UK and have a hard time getting clothes especially trousers that fit. I usually have to take trousers to the menders and get them hemmed.

Is it different in the USA? Our petite sizes are usually 5ft 3in, and there is a big difference between 5ft 3in and 4ft 11ins. Just wondered if you where better catered for over on the other side of the pond.

Oh yes! LOL! I was so glad when capris came back in style! Now I can get "long pants" that I don't have to hem! I have found that petite sizes are not consistent over here. Some ladies may have a hardy laugh, but I am most lucky at Kohl's. If I find a pair of slacks that fit nicely, I buy them in every color! I can also wear girls sizes 14 or 16, same for boys jeans, fortunately my feet are a normal 6 1/2-7! HAHAHAHA

I would just like to say, we have never been refused entrance to any temple or church. If I am dressed inappropriately, I will stand in the doorway and take one photo. We did this in Ponta Delgada where they have the world's oldest Temple (what we were told). I always use the wrap when the local women wear a wrap. I feel like it is disrespectful to not observe their customs, it has nothing to do with Canon law.

I asked this question on another thread as it's a quote I've read often on message boards and seen as part of marketing campaigns for various tv shows and tour agencies. Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/16/TRGQBF78L41.DTL&hw=john+flinn&sn=226&sc=308

Oh my gosh! I loved this article! I could really relate to it! I especially loved this paragraph:

Travel for me is humbling, and the more I do it, the more I realize it's impossible to come home after a few weeks with any more than a surface-skimming understanding of other people, no matter how many chicken buses I ride. I try to make a few friends and absorb as much as I can, but I've come to appreciate that the world is an impossibly vast and complicated place.

Thank you for this link! :)

Packing is never an issue for me. I don't "worry" about my clothing choices on cruises, in Europe or anywhere else. I dress with a enjoyment of fashion, a respect for the culture of the area I am visiting, and a eye toward practicality as I chose to travel light. I carry designer handbags and don't leave them at home when I travel. I am as careful in large European cities as I am in New York, Chicago or other North American cities.

They say there is a difference between a tourist and a traveler and I believe this to be true. I have always considered myself a traveler.

Ditto here. I also don't wear capri pants or whatever they are called. I instead will wear a dress, skirt, or pants. I don't wear shorts unless I am working out or running.

I find that I usually fit well into whatever culture I happened to be in. I've been asked for directions in every country I've ever visited and also think of myself as a traveler and not a tourist.

:D :D To those of you who consider yourselves "travelers" rather than "tourists" perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us poor shmendriks as to the difference between the two. The dictionary says a tourist is one who travels for pleasure and a traveler is one who travels. So, pray tell, why do you feel the need to differentiate?

:D :D To those of you who consider yourselves "travelers" rather than "tourists" perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us poor shmendriks as to the difference between the two. The dictionary says a tourist is one who travels for pleasure and a traveler is one who travels. So, pray tell, why do you feel the need to differentiate?

I think the first paragraph of this link sums up what I think of as the difference between being a traveler versus being a tourist.

http://dingx.blogspot.com/2005/07/tourism-vs-travel.html

When I say that I think of myself as a traveler, I generally mean that I have read thoroughly about the place I am going to visit (not only its "must see" spots, but its history, traditions, politics, current issues, art, religion, etc). During my stay I will try to seek out individuals (not just tour guides) who live there and ask questions about day to day life. I will seek out restaurants that are off the beaten path and serve locals, not tourists. I will try to be informed about and respectful of local customs. I will try to learn a few words of the language so that I can communicate at a basic level. I will, when I return home, reflect on the experience and hopefully will have learned something not only about that country but also about myself and about the world at large (or should that be "at small"?)

I think the first paragraph of this link sums up what I think of as the difference between being a traveler versus being a tourist.

http://dingx.blogspot.com/2005/07/tourism-vs-travel.html

When I say that I think of myself as a traveler, I generally mean that I have read thoroughly about the place I am going to visit (not only its "must see" spots, but its history, traditions, politics, current issues, art, religion, etc). During my stay I will try to seek out individuals (not just tour guides) who live there and ask questions about day to day life. I will seek out restaurants that are off the beaten path and serve locals, not tourists. I will try to be informed about and respectful of local customs. I will try to learn a few words of the language so that I can communicate at a basic level. I will, when I return home, reflect on the experience and hopefully will have learned something not only about that country but also about myself and about the world at large (or should that be "at small"?)

So you ARE a tourist, just like me!! :) :) that's exactly what we try to do on our travels!!

So you ARE a tourist, just like me!! :) :) that's exactly what we try to do on our travels!!

Umm, well if that's your definition of tourist, then I suppose....

I tend to think of a tourist as the person who will walk through the Vatican museum ignoring centuries of priceless sculpture and artwork in order to get to the Sistine Chapel, view the ceiling, and check it off their list. Or the one who can't wait to find the closest Hard Rock Cafe and order a burger, when there are 10 other local restaurants within a couple of blocks. However, that's just my own personal feeling......

Umm, well if that's your definition of tourist, then I suppose....

I tend to think of a tourist as the person who will walk through the Vatican museum ignoring centuries of priceless sculpture and artwork in order to get to the Sistine Chapel, view the ceiling, and check it off their list. Or the one who can't wait to find the closest Hard Rock Cafe and order a burger, when there are 10 other local restaurants within a couple of blocks. However, that's just my own personal feeling......

Nope...those are just idiots...but they're travelers too...LOL. :rolleyes:

Nope...those are just idiots...but they're travelers too...LOL. :rolleyes:

The definition of "travelers" around here has nothing to do with tourists or vacations but professionial flim flammers.

Archived