Passenger Vessel Service Act latest info

Present Monkey

Here is a link regarding the most recent information on the Passenger Vessel Service Act. This article was from April 9th and says that there should be a decision soon. If you have not heard about this decision, it may affect Alaska and Hawaii cruises.

http://www.capitalcityweekly.com/stories/040908/news_20080409006.shtml

another neg impact would be for cruisers who might be denied entry to Canada if they have petty convictions...if more than half the cruise is in Canada it would hardly pay for them to go.. Right now they can leave from Seattle & skip Victoria or Vancouver or hope their name is not really on the list!

Glad we already did our RT LA to Hawaii on Summit--I don't like to fly that much so the many days at sea was worth it--the only US crewed ship at that time was just going around Hawaii--& there were not very good reports about the cruise line that offered it...we met one of the crew members & it did not seem like a viable endeavor all around....guess US wages are too high to make it competitive

Glad we have nothing booked for this area until after it is all settled--imagine the havoc with new itins etc...

another neg impact would be for cruisers who might be denied entry to Canada if they have petty convictions.

As long as they don't include "fix-it tickets", as in forgetting to put the sticker on the license plate after renewal, we're good to go. :)

I got one of those tickets 30 years ago. Do you suppose I'm still in the system??? :eek:

another neg impact would be for cruisers who might be denied entry to Canada if they have petty convictions...if more than half the cruise is in Canada it would hardly pay for them to go.. Right now they can leave from Seattle & skip Victoria or Vancouver or hope their name is not really on the list!

There is no change in the admittance to Canada for those with prior criminal convictions. For the most part, you'll be fine if it was minor, or a long time ago. If you're overly concerned, contact the nearest Canadian Consular office for more details.

As a Canadian, I'd like to remind our American cousins that the admittance into Canada with a prior conviction is WAY LESS stringent than for those entering the USA.

another neg impact would be for cruisers who might be denied entry to Canada if they have petty convictions...

Nobody is denied entry to Canada for a petty conviction. However if you have been convicted of a crime including a DUI conviction then you will not be admitted, but that is also true of a Canadian going into the US with a conviciton.

The good news is that after some 5 to 10 years after the conviction and the person having demonstrated that they are rehabilitaded they can be admitted into Canada at the discretion of the Canadian Border Services Agency. I do not believe that is reciprical on the part of US Customs.

Archived