Just returned from the Shadow

luvtojump

Bldsld and other Seabourn fans,

I've never taken Seabourn, but my friend swears by it just as you do. What do you see as the biggest difference between those two lines? I'm very curious to try out Seabourn, but smaller room and no real balcony I can step out have been stopping me from trying out. What do they have that Silversea doesn't?

The food and service on the Seabourn are outstanding--both lines are great, but Seabourn has the edge on food and servtce. We just returned from a week on the Seabourn, and loved it--in 40 days we are off for a week on the Silver Shadow, and we expect that also be great! You can't miss on either line.

It is really difficult to compare two such outstanding lines as Seabourn and Silversea, but I would also have to give the edge to Seabourn on service and food.

Probably due to the small size, Seabourn crew know your name within hours, and the bartender quickly knows your favorite drink and is already making it as you step up to the bar on subsequent occasions. Additionally, the officers interact more with the passengers and host tables at dinner each night. They mingle with the passengers, which was not the case very often on Silversea. This is not a complaint, mind you, as I prefer to dine with friends as opposed to a different officer every night; it is just a comparison in response to an earlier question. Additionally, the food is more creative, IMHO, the light menu is truly "light", and whatever you want, you can have. "No" is not in the Seabourn vocabulary, whereas Silversea "will have to check" to see if your special request is possible. Generally, it is possible, but not automatically.

As for the ship, the pool is far superior on Silversea, while the gym is far superior on Seabourn. Silversea, hands down, has the better entertainment, and a wonderful bar and disco at night. Seabourn is spotty in this area. Seabourn, OTOH, is more intimate, and the passengers interact more as well.

I do prefer the Moulton bath supplies on Seabourn to the heavily-scented Bulgari toiletries on Silversea, but that is just a matter of personal taste. Seabourn's suites have more entertaining room but lack true verandas, Silversea has better bathrooms on the Shadow and Whisper. Seabourn has reading lights over the bed, and drawers in the night stands, and in general, more storage and closet space for clothing. Silversea, OTOH, has the safe at a height that is easier to reach than on Seabourn.

The Terrace Restaurant on the Shadow is a real restaurant, while the Veranda Cafe on Seabourn is truly more of a cafe. And, the sushi at lunch on Silversea is superb, while I prefer the room service menu, particularly for breakfast, on Seabourn.

Frankly, as I'm wracking my brains trying to note the differences, the similarities are what stand out, and I have to say that you can't go wrong on either line!

Regards,

Denyse

Denyse,

That was a great comparison. Very detailed and helpful. I thought after experiencing Silversea and SeaDream that it couldn't get much better. Now I find myself looking at summer/fall itineraries on SB. Why not try them all, right??

Thank you for your insight.

Lisa

bldsld:

Just curious, you mentioned "sushi" on the Shadow at lunch, what does that include? Just California rolls and other rolls, or also raw salmon and tuna, etc.? Any terryaki or tempura? Besides, I read somewhere that for the poolside grill, they even roast whole pigs, is that true? Any king crab legs? Thank you.

bldsld:

Just curious, you mentioned "sushi" on the Shadow at lunch, what does that include? Just California rolls and other rolls, or also raw salmon and tuna, etc.? Any terryaki or tempura? Besides, I read somewhere that for the poolside grill, they even roast whole pigs, is that true? Any king crab legs? Thank you.

Yes, all of the above is true. There is a wide array of sushi, including tuna, salmon, California rolls, tamago yaki (egg), and more. The first day, I asked the sushi chef if he had Ikura, a sushi with salmon roe, and he made it for me every day thereafter. When other passengers saw what I was eating, they ordered it as well. I "think" there was tempura, but as I prefer the raw sushi, I wasn't actually looking for it. BTW, the sushi was usually my highlight meal of the day, and it was every bit as good as what you would get in a fine San Francisco restaurant. This was quite a treat.

There were king crab legs often served at lunch, and at the on-deck barbecue there was, indeed, a roasted pig, among about 1000 other things.

Regards,

Denyse

One area where Seabourn score over Silversea is the lengths to which they will go for a passenger.

On our recent cruise on the Pride,one evening I enquired if they had any After Eight mints.The answer was no,but they would get some for me at the next port of call.Sure enough,the next night they were produced without my asking for them.

On another occaision I mentioned that their double chocolate chip biscuits were not as good as on our previous cruise.I was asked to describe the "better" biscuit.The next day biscuits in accordance with my description were produced.

Archived