AquaClass on Solstice

zxcvgt

Just booked Solstice on 2/22/09. Orignally booked AC and after speaking with Celebrity directly it turns out that a significant portion of AC rooms are directly below the pool deck. I asked the agent for a room not under the pools and there apparently are on 10 or so rooms aft that fit the bill.

Reverted back to Concierge class on a lower deck.

It's always a personal choice, but a spa inspired cruise does not include traffic and chaise lounge noise overhead!

I don't know if being one deck below the pool is that big of a deal. On Connie I had CC cabin directly below the pool deck. Noise from above was very minor. It was nice having to run up only one deck to get to pool, snacks, etc. I guess though if you could avoid the issue by getting a cabin forward below the spa or aft below other cabins, that would work as well.

Other than on the Mecury, I would not book anything that is not between two residential decks--I guess you could get stuck with noisy neighbors but at least no chairs moving or swooshing noises when the pools are drained..

Other than on the Mecury, I would not book anything that is not between two residential decks--I guess you could get stuck with noisy neighbors but at least no chairs moving or swooshing noises when the pools are drained..

I'm with you. On my first cruise on the Infinity, we had a room under the pool. Never again!! Those scraping chairs drove us crazy. Especially when they washed the deck down in early morning and put the chairs back.

I think you'll be fine under the spa where it's carpeted.

I also have been playing with the cabins. I have booked 1546 on Equinox which appears to be under "retail" space near the hair salon. Do you think we will be bothered by noise? (Had a cabin on RCL Serenade below the pool and the chair scraping made me want to scream!) Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!

We learned our lesson years ago, when we booked both suites and mini suites under the pool deck. Never again, each morning we found ourselves awake at 3 or 4am when the crew cleaned above. It sounded like someone was rolling a cannon across the deck above. When we complained staff acted like we were crazy. Obviously they knew about the problem and played dumb.

I always find it amazing cruise lines continue to build with their best cabins under the pool deck.

We booked a "CC" cabin on the Equniox so that we avoid this problem. I would not even accept a upgrade under the pool deck. :eek:

Our AC cabin is under the spa, there are quite a few cabins in this forward area, so hopefully the therapists are light footed

I have found it is not if they are "light footed" the noise comes from their rolling carts. I think it was the Infinity that we were under the Spa, I would avoid it if I could. They problem is, they make it hard to find a cabin the is not under "something undesirable".

They sell the AQ staterooms at a higher cost but we will be right under the pool deck - OH JOY! The early bird chair hogs will be up their fighting over chairs!

I guess you can't win unless you travel steerage.

A bit OT.

What amazes me is that they've put the Penthouse Suites right under the pool. What are they thinking of??

Hi Dmk !

You are right. I have always wondered why Celebrity chooses to put some of their best (and more expensive) cabins right below the Pool Deck. On the M-Class ships, many CC Cabins are on Deck 9, and for that reason, I rarely book CC. Many other CC cabins are on Deck 8 aft and Deck 7 aft. Most of those cabins are connecting. I dont care for those much either.

If it were my decision, I would have located the CC cabins and Suites as the most mid-ship cabins on all of the higher decks other than the deck right below the pool. All the cabins directly below the pool should be category 2A, 2B etc.

Now, it looks like they have done the same thing on the Solstice Class with the Aqua Class cabins. Why put them right below the pool ? It really isnt a great location. If history repeats itself from the M-Class ships, I probably wouldnt want to book AQ either. On the bright side, hopefully Celebrity has thought of this, and there will be more soundproofing on the S-Class ships and the AQ cabins wont have to deal with any Pool Deck noise. We will have to wait and see.

Just out of curiosity - is the only problem with cabins below the pool deck the noise that might wake you up?

If that's the case -- why not just wear ear plugs?

I've been wearing ear plugs to sleep for many years now (a reaction to being married to a snorer). I can't tell you how grateful I am that my husband snores. It has completely freed me up from ever having to worry about being stuck in a noisy room. I've received fabulous discounts in 5* hotels for the exact same room everyone else gets, but mine were considered "undesirable" because they are next to a noisy bar or heavily-trafficked road. I've been able to sleep like a baby on overnight trains, and on those long transatlantic flights. And I NEVER have to do all that research to find out if my cabin is somewhere noisy, because I know I won't hear it.

I swear, it's the secret to successful traveling, and I wouldn't dream of leaving home without them.

Just out of curiosity - is the only problem with cabins below the pool deck the noise that might wake you up?

I've been wearing ear plugs to sleep for many years now (a reaction to being married to a snorer). I can't tell you how grateful I am that my husband snores. It has completely freed me up from ever having to worry about being stuck in a noisy room. I've received fabulous discounts in 5* hotels for the exact same room everyone else gets, but mine were considered "undesirable" because they are next to a noisy bar or heavily-trafficked road. I've been able to sleep like a baby on overnight trains, and on those long transatlantic flights. And I NEVER have to do all that research to find out if my cabin is somewhere noisy, because I know I won't hear it.

I swear, it's the secret to successful traveling, and I wouldn't dream of leaving home without them.

Hi Leejnd4 !

For those that Travel Solo, I cannot recommend ear plugs, as you might miss an important announcement or Fire Alarm etc.

As long as there is someone in your Cabin that does not wear ear plugs and who can alert you to a problem, then I suppose this may be a good solution.

Hi Leejnd4 !

For those that Travel Solo, I cannot recommend ear plugs, as you might miss an important announcement or Fire Alarm etc.

As long as there is someone in your Cabin that does not wear ear plugs and who can alert you to a problem, then I suppose this may be a good solution.

Host Andy:

The earplugs that I wear do not completely eliminate all sound. They are actually designed as such. Any particularly loud or piercing noises would most definitely get through. I am able to hear my alarm clock every morning, and I certainly would hear a fire alarm. As for announcements, I'd be pretty PO'd if an announcement came in the middle of the night during normal sleeping hours anyway -- if there's an emergency, there will be an alarm.

So I respectfully disagree that all occupants of the cabin can't wear them.

My husband is a snorer and I wear ear plugs. They are great for blocking out his snores. But they were not effective in blocking out the noise from under the pool. I was really frustrated.

My husband is a snorer and I wear ear plugs. They are great for blocking out his snores. But they were not effective in blocking out the noise from under the pool. I was really frustrated.

WOW! That must be some unbelievably loud noise from the pool. If it's so loud that it would pierce through my earplugs, then it must be loud enough to pretty much prevent conversation. I do hope that they have better soundproofing on these new ships. Well, I'm booked in an Aquaclass cabin on Equinox in 2009. I guess I'll find out for myself.

We booked the Solstice B2B -a C1 completely aft on the penthouse deck thinking that because the RS and the PS were there that it was going to be a great deck.

think now we may have made a mistake

but to change cabins now, to a SV that are available will cost more money and we would have to change cabins during the B2B

Sure it will work out.

We booked the Solstice B2B -a C1 completely aft on the penthouse deck thinking that because the RS and the PS were there that it was going to be a great deck.

think now we may have made a mistake

but to change cabins now, to a SV that are available will cost more money and we would have to change cabins during the B2B

Sure it will work out.

Try ear plugs. I'm pretty confident it'll work. :) Usually all it takes is muffling the noise to allow you to sleep undisturbed. Most people don't need absolute quiet.

WOW! That must be some unbelievably loud noise from the pool. If it's so loud that it would pierce through my earplugs, then it must be loud enough to pretty much prevent conversation. I do hope that they have better soundproofing on these new ships. Well, I'm booked in an Aquaclass cabin on Equinox in 2009. I guess I'll find out for myself.

Perhaps, your ear plugs are more soundproof than mine. Which kind do you use?

Good Luck.

Perhaps, your ear plugs are more soundproof than mine. Which kind do you use?

Good Luck.

Here's what I used: Hearos Ear Plugs

I've tried other kinds, but settled on these years ago. They are the most comfortable, stay in the best, and block just the right amount of noise for sleeping. As Host Andy mentioned, one needs to be careful not to block out ALL noise, as you need to be able to hear loud noises that might indicate an emergency.

Best of all, they're among the cheapest too!

When the first Solstice cruisers return could you please let us know if the spa area pool or any pool/hot tubs have lifts for the less mobile? There are 4 handicapped cabins in the spa class but they're useless if we can't get into the spa facilities. Ladies? Any info on hair and nail areas also appreciated like is there one hair station where the chair is not attached to the sink. Unfortunantly no one tells the special needs folks at Celebrity this stuff. TIA!

I would like to know where and what kind of ear plugs you buy too

Mine are always too big and very uncomfortable, or they pop out.

Please tell us about your ear plugs

Thanks

Lou

See post #21 :D

I would like to know where and what kind of ear plugs you buy too

Mine are always too big and very uncomfortable, or they pop out.

Please tell us about your ear plugs

Thanks

Lou

Lou - look two posts above yours.

Archived