Getting to the Port $$$

Hurricane Girl

Were you going to drive over to Asheville and then down? I know it was about an hour shorter than driving through Chattanooga when I did that.

I would think if you took into account the time needed and hotels too, it would be no contest, airfare would win. Check out flying Southwest out of Nashville. They fly to FLL. I got a great ding fare to Orlando right before Thanksgiving last year, just in time for our trip to Disney. Also look at Allegiant and renting a car and driving from Orlando down. It's about 4 hours to Miami from Orlando.

and is your name because of East High?

We went from Dallas to Port Canaveral and it cost me about $600 (could have been more), didnt get lucky filling up, seemed to hit the most expensive gas stations and paid more to stay at hotels on the coast instead of driving more inland.

I decided next time to pay more and just go out of Galveston.

PS the reason we decided it was about the same to drive was we would have flown into Orlando and then had to get transfers to Port Canaveral and that would have cost plus we would still have spent one night in a hotel and more worry about connections.

Hard to tell in real costs which would have cost more... about the same when you take into consideration you still have to get to the port from the airport?

We figured what gas is going to cost us to get to Miami and back home. If it were only the two of us going it would be cheaper to fly. It will cost us almost $500 in gas.

What are you driving.....a tank?? It shouldn't cost more than about $350 if you're driving a vehicle with a modest 20 mpg.

Were you going to drive over to Asheville and then down? I know it was about an hour shorter than driving through Chattanooga when I did that.

I would think if you took into account the time needed and hotels too, it would be no contest, airfare would win. Check out flying Southwest out of Nashville. They fly to FLL. I got a great ding fare to Orlando right before Thanksgiving last year, just in time for our trip to Disney. Also look at Allegiant and renting a car and driving from Orlando down. It's about 4 hours to Miami from Orlando.

and is your name because of East High?

Yes, we always go through Asheville. We went down 75 and took the Florida Turnpike one time when we went to Miami on vacation with some friends. We came back on 95. It was shorter.

Considering we have 7 people going, we can't afford to fly. We got a room to sleep all 7 for $230 and we can park our vehicle at the hotel for free.

and No, my name is because I absolutely LOVE the frozen Southern Comfort Hurricanes on Carnival ships. I had one on my first cruise and have been addicted ever since. I went to West High and so does my son.

if you are driving 1500 miles at 20 miles to the gallon paying 3.65 a gallon it is 274.00 in gas????

We are driving 1800 miles and if gas keeps going like it is we'll be paying $4 a gallon by the end of May. (And the last few times I've been to FL. the gas was always 10 to 20 cents higher than we usually pay).That comes to $360 at 20 MPG. We'll do better than 20 with both vehicles so I figure about $500.

We are driving 1800 miles and if gas keeps going like it is we'll be paying $4 a gallon by the end of May. (And the last few times I've been to FL. the gas was always 10 to 20 cents higher than we usually pay).That comes to $360 at 20 MPG. We'll do better than 20 with both vehicles so I figure about $500.

wll that makes a bit more sense, we just paid 3.48 a gallon here in nc to fill up, at least you can split it multiple ways:D

With 7 people and all of our luggage we will have to take 2 cars.

Did you think about getting a rental that will hold all of you? You could rent it at home, drop it off on embarkation day and then pick it back up the day you disembark to drive home. It will save on wear and tear for 2 vehicles and could be cheaper in the long run.

How do you figure.. checking mapquest.. going from Morristown TN to Miami FL it is 879 miles...are you doing a loop de loooooo :D

yeah if we went out of Miami we would fly

but we have driven to all the other ports... NOLA twice and port canaveral....it was cheaper to drive then buying tickets for the airline...plus easier with an infant driving....he wouldnt last on an airplane....

FOX says gas will be averaging $4 a gallon by Memorial Day.

I dont even get 20 mph, maybe I was foolish to drive too. Plus hotel rooms ran higher than I expected and I stopped 2 nights on the way and one night on the way home, so add in 3 nights hotels. Florida has a particularly high hotel tax FYI.

I dont care how you estimate, it costs more than you think to drive. Thats not even counting meals on the road. One time we stopped and paid $19.99 for a sea food platter, bad choice of restaurants Im sure, but it was sure good and fresh tasting.

Just dont think it will be cheap to drive, enjoy the drive and stop and smell the roses along the way.

edit to add....on last weeks cruise to NOLA ...we drove about 720 miles round trip (360 each way) and spent about 140 in gas...that's not bad considering that we are a family of 3....to 3 air line tickets plus the price of the extra luggage costs would of been way more... 6 hour drive each way wasnt bad for us

I have been trying to figure the cost of gas and for my Aug31 trip from Clarksville TN to Miami Its 952 miles. at the moment it be at least 450 to fly Southwest into FLL the day before and then trying to get to a hotel and port costs I think it will still be cheaper I hope. The car I am driving gets at least 30 miles to the gallon. I think Iam driving unless we get some great rates on flights

FOX says gas will be averaging $4 a gallon by Memorial Day.

I dont even get 20 mph, maybe I was foolish to drive too. Plus hotel rooms ran higher than I expected and I stopped 2 nights on the way and one night on the way home, so add in 3 nights hotels. Florida has a particularly high hotel tax FYI.

Why not use Priceline? Plus no reason to stop if its just 900 miles. With multiple drivers.

I dont care how you estimate, it costs more than you think to drive. Thats not even counting meals on the road. One time we stopped and paid $19.99 for a sea food platter, bad choice of restaurants Im sure, but it was sure good and fresh tasting.

Always best to make your own snacks when doing a road trip.

Just dont think it will be cheap to drive, enjoy the drive and stop and smell the roses along the way.

If you do some pre-planning it can be cheaper. Just like you would plan a cruise, you have to plan your car trip.

I am sure glad that I have my airfare already for my cruise to Mexico in November. The advantage to driving ( if one can afford gas and time ) is that now the airlines are limiting the baggage or charging more, and if you drive you can take as much as you want...but I saw a TV show that said extra weight in the trunk gives poor gas mileage...we are hooped either way.. but once you have paid all the extras, just sit back and relax and let the Captain worry...where ever you cruise, have a good one!

Jan

Archived