Getting to the Port $$$

Hurricane Girl

yeah when we drove overnight in feb to port canaveral...about a 10 hour drive....we never stopped we had multiple drivers so it worked out well.....we also just did the cheap food....so mcdonals...where all 4 people could eat for 20 bucks was not bad at all

we are fortunate to live within driving distance to quite a few ports (NOLA, Galveston, Mobile, Port Canaveral, Tampa and Jacksonville) So plenty to choose from.

I am sure after we cruise for a while out of those places then we might want to go out of Miami or California...which in that case then we would probably fly.

If you do some pre-planning it can be cheaper. Just like you would plan a cruise, you have to plan your car trip.

I did pre plan, what would make you assume I didnt? It was about a 20 hour drive for us 9each way). It sounds to me like my drive was farther than some others who drove.

Why did I splurge on a fish dinner? I promised myself to stop in Biloxi and have some wonderfull fish that I remembered from before. Katrina just messed up my plans and the places I remembered, none had been rebuilt.

Of course I tried priceline for biloxi and surrounding area, but it just wasnt cheaper too few hotels had been rebuilt, the competition isnt back to that area like it used to be.

If you drive you also either need to pay for a more expensive hotel in Florida which has cruise parking or pay for a hotel anyway plus parking at the port, $12 to $20 (Miami).

I dont think $600 or so is that out of line for 20 hours each way of driving. Most airfare was running about that much just for the airfare out of Dallas which always seems to be a expensive airport to fly out of. If you think I post this much on CC and dont plan ahead boy you have me wrong.

I did pre plan, what would make you assume I didnt? It was about a 20 hour drive for us.

As I mentioned I drove from Dallas and I drove along the coast. As it happens I had memories of Biloxi and wanted to see Biloxi (I was sorely dissapointed, I read it had not come back from the hurricane, nor had most of the coast, but I still thought surely there would be more .... there wasnt).

All 3 nights were prebooked of course. I tried priceline, but had no luck with biloxi or those small ocean towns. It was cheaper to go thru the hotels directly. There just were not the same number of hotels along the coast as when I last went thru before Katrina. I also thought surely there had to be a fish place along the coast in Biloxi, there wasnt. I finally ended up at a biyou (cant spell it) and paid the price because by then we were starving for that fish dinner I remembered getting on the coast.

Amazing the things folks assume about you, sometimes it makes me laugh when they are totally 100% wrong. If you have a question why not ask, instead of making assumptions. Of course I didnt just stop because Id driven a certain number of miles. My Dad used to be stationed in Biloxi and Id been there before and wanted to stop in, and was determined to spend the night there.

I also stayed at the Radisson in Port Canaveral based on the free cruise parking and free shuttle, but that was still another $110. It all adds up. Im sure I spent that much when I drove. If you drive you either have to pay for parking at the port or stay at a hotel with free parking. Im saying thats part of the cost of driving vs. flying.

WOW...arent you a little defensive. While I quoted you, the pre-planning part was a general statement for anyone driving. So yes, it can be cheaper.

Im not sure how your trip can be compared to the OP's. Since it sounds like you didnt take a direct route to the ship. Thats the beauty of driving, you can go where you want when you want and how you want.

It sounds like the OP will be taking the most direct route to the ship and I doubt she will be stopping on a 900 mile trip. Plus she has a hotel with free parking for the duration of the cruise.

Op, didnt mean to hijack your thread. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip down!!!

WOW...arent you a little defensive. While I quoted you, the pre-planning part was a general statement for anyone driving. So yes, it can be cheaper.

Im not sure how your trip can be compared to the OP's. Since it sounds like you didnt take a direct route to the ship. Thats the beauty of driving, you can go where you want when you want and how you want.

It sounds like the OP will be taking the most direct route to the ship and I doubt she will be stopping on a 900 mile trip.

Look at the map, its about the same mileage from Dallas to Port Canaveral thru I20 or I10 which goes along the coast. The coast may have been another 25 miles each way out of my way to go along it that first night.

if someone is quoting me, then whom should I think they are posting to?

The OP is not driving as far as I did, but much of what I said I thought applies you need to think about port parking and eating and hotels and everything to evaluate the cost. nevermind....

OP have a great trip. Im done here. I was just trying to help with all the costs of driving.

There's other costs to take into consideration, like stopping and eating along the way, and parking fees. Also, there's nothing worse than getting off a lovely cruise and driving for miles and miles back home. We did that a few times until I couldn't bear the long boring drive back home and getting into bed at 3:00 a.m. It was exhausting! I'd rather pay the additional cost of an airline ticket and be comfortable. JMHO.

We also looked at the cost of gas for NC to Miami. We are now looking into taking the train. For our SUV (at the current the cost for gas we will have to spend a little over $400 round trip. No telling how much it will be in October. For our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) we can take Amtrak for $365, roundtrip. Yes I know it takes a lot longer and there are delays, but we have decided to do it. If the gas rate is cheaper in Oct., we can cancel without penalty and drive.

Originally, I was going to book Legend 12/14, but when I saw Fascination was moving to Jax and doing 5 day, and going to HMC, I had to book that instead.

So, I needed a Western Carib, so I booked Glory because I didn't want to drive to Tampa.

Booked insides on both and planned to drive to both, getting there the day before, and splitting the drive in half each way for Glory.

Had checked air ever since booking and fares just kept going up, like everything else.

For some reason, I decided to check Southwest the other day. Found fare from Raleigh to Orlando for $306 for both. Even with parking at the airport, and renting a car for a day each way, I figure I'm only spending a little more than I would if I drove, since I'm eliminating two nights in hotels plus the extra food.

More importantly, I'm eliminating all those HOURS of being in the car. And I even enjoy driving! But driving home from a cruise is just SO dull and dreary.

We have to drive from Clearwater to Tampa, so it will cost 3, maybe 4 bucks. We could fly, but we'd have to take off and land at the same airport and that would probably cost more than $4. So, we'll probably drive..

Thanks for the empathy with those who must fly or drive long distances. :rolleyes:

Well, you could move to FL and pay $3000 a year in homeowners insurance... Now you should feel empathy for me.. :rolleyes:

Did you think about getting a rental that will hold all of you? You could rent it at home, drop it off on embarkation day and then pick it back up the day you disembark to drive home. It will save on wear and tear for 2 vehicles and could be cheaper in the long run.

My DH has been doing the other posts on this thread but I seen your post and wanted to ask a question. I looked into renting a bigger van for this trip but if I drop off in another state I have to pay somewhere around $500 to do this. Do you know of a way for me to get around not having to pay that? If so please let me know.

Although the cruise rates are still affordable, the surcharges and travel costs are eventually going to have an impact on the cruise industry IMO. I know we are all hopeful the fuel prices back off........but right now it sure doesn't look that way.

Although the cruise rates are still affordable, the surcharges and travel costs are eventually going to have an impact on the cruise industry IMO. I know we are all hopeful the fuel prices back off........but right now it sure doesn't look that way.

I know what you mean!!! yesterday my DH filled our mini van up and it cost $74 and I filled my corolla up and that cost me $37 :eek: ...I only expect it to keep going up over the next few weeks. :mad:

Were you going to drive over to Asheville and then down? I know it was about an hour shorter than driving through Chattanooga when I did that.

I would think if you took into account the time needed and hotels too, it would be no contest, airfare would win. Check out flying Southwest out of Nashville. They fly to FLL. I got a great ding fare to Orlando right before Thanksgiving last year, just in time for our trip to Disney. Also look at Allegiant and renting a car and driving from Orlando down. It's about 4 hours to Miami from Orlando.

and is your name because of East High?

Allegiant Air flies into Ft Laud.

We stupidly didn't think of any of this before we booked :eek:. It is going to cost us 470 to fly, 170 dollars to rent a car, however much I will have to pay for the gas we use, and 70 bucks for a hotel. That really adds on a lot to our cruise. I think we should have gone back to Mexico because it is a relatively short drive to LA from Las Vegas!

We figured all of the extras into ours but we were going to drive our corolla instead of a van until a few weeks ago. My DH realized that we might not have enough room for all of the luggage so he went out and bought a mini van. It doesn't get anywhere near the gas mileage as my car does.

I have parked our Suburban but will have to take it to Ft Laud in Nov. Luckily it will be a straight trip and mileage will be better. also will fill up on our way down before we get to South Fla. Prices jump in SF.

were going to drive from Nashville to NO for our cruise. We have 5 total in a Honda CRV with a topper on it to hold everything. Ive tried to convience my DH that we should drive to Memphis and take the train down, but he won't even consider it. It would be about $350 for a round trip for us, plus parking and hotel in NO for one night. He thinks it will be no difference in cost and we just got a "free" $100 gas card for buying some furniture, so driving it is.

we will be driving from central Pennsylvania to Norfolk Virginia May 31st. the way road construction and toll roads are I have planned about $400 for the round trip. It is hard to plan mpg in gas when you spend hours sitting in traffic from road construction as well as not sure the toll prices. :eek: Our gas in this area is $3.69 right now, so to plan $4.00 a gallon for the trip might not be enough.:( Map quest says 410 miles from our sons house where we are meeting. we will have an additional 30 mile to get to his house. driving is still the better choice for us. there will be 6 of us between 2 vehicles plus luggage. with children there will be a bit more luggage. that would add up on flight costs. plus we can take items that would not be permited on flights; some liquids and small scissors etc. I agree with the person that said not looking forward to the boring trip back though:( somehow driving down won't seem as boring:p

We are driving down to Miami from Charlotte in July. I am figuring that gas prices will be over $4.00 a gallon by then. However I still think it will be cheaper than flying for 4. Also we can take as much luggage as we need. We are going down 2 days before the cruise. We have a hotel booked for 2 nights. I know it will be a long ride, but we will be excited going down and tired going home.

We'll be driving from Northern Kentucky in October to Miami. My husband will not fly so flying not an option. We will take 3 days to get there which means 3 nights in hotels. Flying would definitely be cheaper for us. We have a small car, a Chevy Cavalier, so we get the most in MPG. We figure $350-$400 in gas plus hotels and meals. No choice. Gas here in Northern Kentucky is about $3.60/gallon and rising. Only God knows what it will be in October.

Archived