adding hand beading to a dress?

I bead dance costumes all the time for my daughter and myself, but I have never done an evening dress.

I just bought a strapless matt satin cream colored evening gown. My daughter suggested that I add some beading to it.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Ever done it. I'm thinking that I would copy a very simple pattern from another dress and use gold and amber beads.

HI

If you are having beading attach to the hem of the dress just be careful with the weight of the bead. I had beading attached to the hem of a gown and the weight of the bead interfered with the 'flow'.. The gown kept getting caught between my legs.. it was a mess LOL

Good Luck!

I bead dance costumes all the time for my daughter and myself, but I have never done an evening dress.

I just bought a strapless matt satin cream colored evening gown. My daughter suggested that I add some beading to it.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Ever done it. I'm thinking that I would copy a very simple pattern from another dress and use gold and amber beads.

Just my opinion (I'm jealous of your talent, I tried to do this to a skirt once and it was a mess) but I think tone on tone would be prettier.

I looked online to find a picture of the dress and couldn't find one. It is a prom brand, Jump Apparel. But because of the clean lines and subdued color, I felt it was more classic than prom.

I think I may try some practice beading before I actually stitch the dress. That way I can get my pattern down. I'm thinking something to give it a bit of sparkle but nothing too flashy.

I've done some beading and it's not easy. It's hard to get the beads tight without making the item itself pucker. But if you've beaded things for your daughter, I'm sure you know what's involved.

I don't know what the lines of the dress are but have you considered adding the type of beading that comes by the yard, maybe around the neckline? I've seen some gorgeous stuff but you need access to a GOOD fabric store that sells wedding or evening wear fabric.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

I looked online to find a picture of the dress and couldn't find one. It is a prom brand, Jump Apparel. But because of the clean lines and subdued color, I felt it was more classic than prom.

I think I may try some practice beading before I actually stitch the dress. That way I can get my pattern down. I'm thinking something to give it a bit of sparkle but nothing too flashy.

I think practicing is a good idea.

Though you've beaded costumes for your daughter, this is different, and you have to be careful that the finished product looks elegant, rather than like a craft project.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Hi, just a thought here...I don't know what kind of fabric stores you have in your area but if you have a good fabric store as opposed to a craft store that sells fabric....Some fabric and trim stores sell very beautiful "Trim" pieces that are beaded or come with very elaborate stones on them,they areon a netted background and are put on with a very good fabric glue. They can be cut and pieced together in almost any fashion you like. I trimed up a capri pants suit like thins and it looks fabulous. Especially if the dress is cream you can do the tone on tone which they will have a ton of because of the bridal business. Appliques are very easy and they run the gammut now adays from simple to elaborate, you'll look like a "Million"!;) Take the dress with you whenyou go, the people in these places are usually very helpful because they tend to be creative.

Jennifer

It's so hard to give advice on something you can't see.

I think, if it were me, I'd forego the hand beading and instead find a great set of beaded jewelry to go with the dress. That way, I could dress it up or down for different occasions.

There are a couple of places I will have to check out in Tucson. There is one places that is a discount store and one full price, and they may have some of those strips of trim that a couple of people mentioned. I'll owe you a picture of DD dance costume and some of my other work.

Archived