Danube: Questions about Prague

pjtraveler

We will be leaving on May 17 for a trip with Uniworld on the Danube (Nuremburg to Vienna) with a pre-extension in Prague? Have any of you done the stay in Prague with Uniworld (or another cruise line)? If so, what optional excursions were you offered in addition to the city tour? Anything you particularly enjoyed doing on your own?

Thanks in advance for your responses!:) :)

Hi! We went with Globus on the Avalon Artistry in June 05. Prague was beautiful!

Only the city sightseeing tour was included on our cruise so we went with another couple we met to the Charles Bridge area (30 statues are on the bridge). Another evening we walked over to the Newtown (Wenceslas Sq) & Old Town ~ lovely old buildings, cafes etc.

Some optional excursions were concerts, a folklore performance,a guided walking tour of the City centre, Prague's Jewish Heritage (which I, a Christian really enjoyed), a Palace & a fortress ~ something for every taste.

Have a great time ~ I'd love to go back.

~Jo~ :)

Spent a week in Prague several years ago on our own. We did take a local sightseeing tour of the city. But just about everything you want to see is easily walkable if your hotel location is fairly good. I would think that is the key. Being close or in the "old Town". If you don't mind walking, after you check out the "old Town", you can easily walk across Charles Bridge and up to the castle. We stayed at the Marriott and found the location to be very good.

I loved Prague for the history...my husband loved Prague for the beautiful women!

We enjoyed Prague for 2 days pre-cruise last December. The old town was interesting, "Paris" Avenue was good for window shopping, but the most memorable highlight by far was a visit to the Terezin Concentration Camp (located about an hour outside of the city). The tour to Terezin was an optional excursion through Amadeus Waterways. We had the chance to see the surrounding countryside, and small villages along the way. The price was worth every penney, and left a lasting impression that I will never forget.

I don't know anything about Amadeus tours, however the Jewish Community of Prague has private tours with guides who in many cases are survivors. We had a man who was and gave us an unforgettable day.

We also toured Prague with a survivor from the same source and have kept up with her since. Unfortunately she is now too old to do the walking tour.

Try www.kosherprague.com

Thanks, orchestrapal! Sounds like you had very meaningful touring in Prague.

I have been in touch with Jewish touring companies in both Budapest and Prague and we will do our private touring through both those companies for a more personal/religious perspective. I am of Jewish Hungarian ancestry; therefore, our touring will be of a very personal nature; specifically in Hungary.

The guide I am in contact with in Budapest is helping me trace family roots, thanks to a birth document I faxed to her giving lots of information. Hopefully, something develops and we are able to make our way into the city my Grandmother was born in. The guide is working hard to help.

I was just curious as to what Amadeus is charging for this optional tour.

HI again! The tour Terezin - a 1/2 day excursion on our Artistry cruise in June 05 was $49 US. Prague's Jewish Heritage was $36 & went to the old cemetery where graves are stacked, the Synagogue, the museum & other places. It was very interesting.

~Jo~ :)

We are on the Black Sea tour in early July on the Avalon Artistry that goes from Budapest to Bucharest. We are doing pre-touring in Prague and Vienna before the cruise. Since we want to maximize our experience in Prague (we are there for only a day and a half), I arranged for a guided tour the first day through Sarka of Personal Prague Guides. I did that based on a travel recommendation I found in the LA Times. In my correspondence to date I have found them to be very informative and responsive. If you want to have a guided tour you might want to consider using their services. Has anyone used them before? Their web site is at:

http://www.prague-guide.info/

I also arranged our transportation from the airport to the Marriot through them also (23 Euros). Might have found someone cheaper, but dealing with one company was easier.

You will be happy with the guide. Regarding taxi service, use only the companies recommended by the hotel, there are huge issues with taxi services overcharging in Prague. We were in Prague 2 years ago and stayed at the Four Seasons, it is perfect in every respect and close enough to the main sights for walking.

Prague is a wonderful city and you will enjoy every minute of it. Be sure to try the gelato at the shop across from the Jewish Quarter, as you stand in front of the shop the Intercontinental is to your left, and a Jewish restaurant behind you.

We did Uniworld Budapest -> Pasau with the Prague extension 3 years ago. They put us up in the Hotel Renaissance, within easy walking distance to the old town square, Charles Bridge, etc.

There were no optional excursions offered beyond the city tour. There was plenty to see and do, great (and cheap!) restaurants too! in the Old Town. You'll love Prague. We did.

Archived