Shorts or pants for a teen in restaurants?

Don't know about Norwegian, but on Princess there are no shorts allowed for dinner. For lunch and breakfast are fine.

Cruised last year with DS (then 15) and a couple of his buddies were not allowed in the dining room on formal night because they were not wearing a jacket.

My son is 14 now, but we started cruising when he was 11. The guidelines on every line we have been on including NCL all state No Shorts in the Dining Rooms. He has always worn long pants in the dining rooms as I feel it's important to respect the dress requirements, regardless of age. While a very young boy or baby might be fine in appropriate shorts, an older child and certainly a teen should be expected to follow the dress code.

Put a pair of dockers on him and you will have no problem.

Use it as a good learning experience for him to continue learning about dressing properly for certain occasions. Good for all the kids to learn there are dress codes in the world and some situations call for different clothing that other events.

Have a great cruise with your son.

Directly from the NCL website :

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner?

Do people dress up at night?

Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

Accordingly,he will only have to wear pants in the evening.

I took my then 12yo son on a 9 day cruise in 2006 - he complained a bit in advance - but he wore pants every night in the dining room - I took 2 pair of khaki's - black and gray - and different sirts - polo's for casual, and dress shirts for the other nights - and even a tie I think - tho I don't think I ever made him wear it. I was more lax in dress code for him - but never allowed him in the dining room in shorts. After the first day, he adjusted and I just had to say 'dress for dinner".

Guess it was good practice - he is now in high school - a charter school - and they have a uniform - the pants are khaki's - and I had no problems getting him to adjust to that.

We will sail the Norwegian Spirit in June. Does my 13 years son will have to wear pants in the restaurants?

Archived