Is Concierge Level Stateroom Worth It?

Reggiefan

I have never cruised before and am considering a Mediterrarean cruise on Oceania, which based on my readings fits my style and budget.

Are the concierge level veranda staterooms on level 7 worth the somewhat higher price compared to the regular veranda staterooms?

We just returned from a 12 day Med. cruise on Insignia. We had booked a deck 7 (7078) room but upgraded to a penthouse on Deck 8. I must say that as much as we loved the extra room and the perks, we did not take full advantage. I think we both enjoyed the veranda and would not sail without one. We spent a lot of time on the veranda during the docking and during time in port. We did use the extra 2 reservations in Polo and Toscanna, but, learned that there were other opportunities to get those reservations if you just asked and were flexible. We did not take full advantage of the Butler, but, there were some nice services. Our cleaning was taken care of by just leaving it out and then returned, we didn't have to collect our passport, he brought it to us and a few other things. Honestly, next time we cruise, we will probably just get a veranda room and not spend the extra money. The Oceania ships are such a nice size, it is no trouble to get up and go to Horizons for coffee in the mornings or order room service and the same for any other times.

I have never cruised before and am considering a Mediterrarean cruise on Oceania, which based on my readings fits my style and budget.

Are the concierge level veranda staterooms on level 7 worth the somewhat higher price compared to the regular veranda staterooms?

Unless you really need the extra perks! No. We had a PH and really never took advantage of the butler or other services. Room service is the same any time you want it.

The additional space is worthwhile on longer cruises.

We had an A2 on our last cruise and have an A2 booked on our next, but in our case its because we like the aft cabins. The A cabins are the same size and layout as the B cabins, is the concierge level worth it? hard to say. We did use our mini fridge, did not use the cashmere throw, the champagne is nice if you like champagne, not a really expensive bottle but something nice to have on a picturesque sailaway. You get a couple of garments pressed for you on the day of boarding, I really don't know if there is a big difference in the toiletries or not. We could have reserved an aft cabin on deck 6 which is a B but we went with the A2 on the higher deck since we remember feeling early morning/late night arrivals and departures from the engines (not much, just enough for us to notice it) and figured we'd feel that a bit more on deck 6. Depending on what you are comparing, if its usually $100 or $200 more per person for the cruise, that's only $10-20 per day for a 10 night cruise, not much in the bigger scheme, to some its their evening drinks, only you can decide if its worth it for you.

We had an A2 (Deck 7) on our first cruise because that's all that was left by the time we booked. We chose a C1 (Deck 4) on our transAtlantic because we wanted to be down low and in the center. We have not yet had a Category B (deck 6).

For our upcoming trip around Cape Horn, we again chose an A2 on Deck 7, even though we were booked early enough to have almost any stateroom (booked about 3 minutes after the booking opened on the first day). We decided that the extra cost for the concierge level was worth it, for us. The primary reason is the mini-fridge. I want a cold Diet Pepsi when I get up in the morning, and I don't want to wait for someone to bring me ice (I bring my own Diet Pepsi on board).

The rest of the amenities are OK; we used some and did not use others.

If you are interested in a specific perk, such as the mini-fridge, enough to pay for it, then Deck 7 is worth it. If not,I would have to say that Deck 6 is a better value.

For our needs the level 6 staterooms are great. We have travelled on the concierge level. We don't like champagne, the minifrig replaces 3 drawers which, we find, are needed and you can get ice in your room anytime. Room service is available and the services are comparable.

I've heard there's a better hair-dryer in the Concierge cabins and up. Hand-held versus, what? Is the regular hair dryer adequate?

A second vote for the mini-fridge.

All cabins have a hand held hair dryer .

I can only make comment on the Deck 6 & 4 cabin they have the wall mount ones as well

As far as I know, all cabins started out with the wall-mounted hair dryer in the bathroom. The hand held dryers were then added as a perk to concierge and above staterooms. Finally, all of the cabins received the hand held hair dryers. The wall mount dryers are still mounted and functional. I actually prefer the wall mount, but then, I have little hair left to dry. The hand held dryers are usually located in the dresser or the closet, and are plugged in at the dressing table. If you want to use a hair dryer in the bathroom, you are limited to the wall-mount.

Thanks for bursting my bubble Hondoner- I thought for my extra $1,000+ we at least got a 'special' hairdryer!

It seems the only actual perks left in concierge cabins are the skimpy cashmere throw (put in the closet and left there) and a cheap cotton bag (have one thanks). Everything else is either included in other cabins or readily available.

Oceania, if you are listening, concierge class was a great marketing idea, but it only works if you actually provide something special. Otherwise, people start feeling they are being conned!

The two perks that are meaningful to most passengers who choose Deck 7 are the mini-fridge and being able to make two reservations for Polo and Toscana when you board.

Someone mentioned somewhere on these boards that they were able to order a mini-fridge for their cabin on Deck 4. I don't know if that is true.

I DO know that you usually can get multiple reservations at Polo and Toscana if you are willing to share a table and are flexible as to your dining time.

SOOOOO - is the extra money worth it? If Location, Location, Location is important, yes. If it isn't, no.

We booked a B1 for our July 7th cruise on Natica, and was on the waiting list for an A1 cabin.When it was avalliable they wanted to charge us $1100.00 more .We refused.As far as the mini fridge I requested it and see if I get it ,if not I will use an ice bucket to chill botttle water.

.We refused.As far as the mini fridge I requested it and see if I get it ,if not I will use an ice bucket to chill botttle water.

A lot of times they (meaning cruise lines and even hotels) will give a mini-fridge free of charge to diabetics who need to refrigerate their insulin. I was on a long Caribbean cruise once and really missed a mini-fridge; our first stop was St. Thomas so we went to K-Mart and got a small styrofoam cooler. It was fabulous, and our steward put fresh ice in it for us 2x a day.

Passengers in Penthouses, Vista Suites and Owner's Suites have butler service.

Shari

Hi Shari, What do the Butlers do that the concierge does not?

Thanks!

Hi Jana,

The concierge takes care of all passengers on the ship. The butler's take care of the following for the passengers in Penthouses and above..

They make dinner reservations in the restaurants

Take care of your room service orders

Take care of the complimentary garment pressing(4 garments)

Brings in 4:00PM tea, and 5:00PM canapes

If you would like to host a cocktail party, he will make the arrangements

Serves dinner in your stateroom, course by course from any of the restaurant venues

Shines shoes

And much more......

Shari

Jana- just to be clear, there is no concierge in concierge class. I made that mistake and was told by the ship concierge that, as Shari said, he was there for all of the ship passengers, and offered no 'special' service to concierge passengers.

Yes, Oceania usually supplies refrigerators to anyone who asks, and it is easy to dine extra nights in the special restaurants, thus my point that the only real extras in concierge cabins are the cashmere lap blanket(stays onboard), and the canvas tote bag you get to keep

Let me quickly add that if you are fortunate enough to get a mini-fridge added to a non-concierge cabin (they have a very limited number), it will take up floor space in the not-overly-roomy cabin. It is built into the dressing table in category A, and does take the place of 3 drawers that are present in the lower categories.

Personally, I take note that the extra mini-fridges are on board for passengers who have a genuine need, such as a diabetic taking insulin, and I would feel guilty if I requested one of these fridges when I don't NEED it, and might possibly deny it's use for someone who DOES need it. My own code of ethics requires me to pay the price for a mini-fridge-equipped cabin if I want one.

The DVD player was also a real plus for us, however, I don't know if all of the new TV's are equipped with a DVD player or not. This may still be an exclusive perk.

We all have our personal limits. For me, it's worth it to upgrade from a "B" to an "A", even if the perks cannot be financially justified in a technical way. However, a little extra cabin space, a bathtub that I have to step over to take a shower, and the services of a butler for the things I enjoy doing for myself are not worth the upgrade to a penthouse. And, paying a small fortune to be at the far front or rear corners of the ship where all the noise, vibration and movement are, regardless of the size of the suite, is not my idea of a worthwhile investment.

The point is, each person must judge for themselves. It is impossible to answer someone's question about whether it is "worth it".

The DVD player was also a real plus for us, however, I don't know if all of the new TV's are equipped with a DVD player or not. This may still be an exclusive perk.

Don

When we were on the Regatta this March the new T.V's were installed with a separate DVD player in all the cabins for the peons.

You get a list of DVD's available from reception if it is not already in the cabin.

I agree Hondonor- I like to know that I have early boarding, not just hope for it. Still, given that all of the perks are now pretty readily available, it seems time for O to think of providing something really 'exclusive' to concierge that justifies the extra $. We probably would not have signed up for an A cabin again if we had a choice, but all of the B's were gone, as well as P and OS.

Hondorner,

I had to smile when I read your reply. I had an elderly neighbor who would always ask, "Was it worth it?" no matter where we went, what we bought, where we ate. It got to the point, we always answered, "No. We just like wasting our money."

When deciding your category of cabin for a cruise, you have to decide what YOU need. If its something that meets a need of yours, it is most definitly worth it. Other than that, "We just like wasting our money."

Connie

Someone mentioned somewhere on these boards that they were able to order a mini-fridge for their cabin on Deck 4. I don't know if that is true.

It is certainly true and it was me (or at least me) who mentioned it. I had a F grade inside cabin and Oceania were good enough to supply me with a fridge. I don't have diabetes but I do have temperatur sensitive drugs that need to be refrigerated and a genuine letter-headed doctor's certificate to that effect.

Archived