For those of you who have purchased formals off of Ebay - have you EVER had a problem with them?? I have been searching everywhere for a formal gown that I saw in the store about 6 weeks ago, which they had only one of in my size and it was damaged. I found the dress on Ebay, in the right size and I VERY tempted to bid on it - however, the auction claims it's new with tags, but the picture of the tag looks like someone took the papertag off the plastic thing and tried the slip it onto the fabric tag sewn into the dress (not sure if I can post the picture from the Ebay site or not) - at any rate, it looks altered. Plus the papertag looks like someone dug it out of the trash . . . also, there is no picture of a size tag to indicate the size is actually what they claim it is. I am NOT an Ebay expert - rarely have I ever bid on anything from Ebay and I'm VERY hesitant to bid on this dress and wind up with it and have it NOT be what they claim it is or worse, get it in and it's damaged. Have anyone of you ever bought something and had it turn out to be something other than what it was claimed to be and if so, is there anything that can be done about it??

Thanks!

Never had any problems with eBay.

If an item is NOT what it claims to be, there is something you can do but you must have purchased it with PayPal. Too much to explain here. Can you give me the item number and I'll take a look?

If an item is NOT what it claims to be, there is something you can do but you must have purchased it with PayPal. Too much to explain here. Can you give me the item number and I'll take a look?

The item # is 360048248295 - thanks so much for offering to take a look, you're awesome!! My biggestest concern is just that it looks like the tags been removed and tried to be made to look like it hasn't, kwim?

I don't think I'd have a problem buying from them, they're a power seller with 53,692 sales and their feedback is 99.6% positive. They've had only one negative in the last month, couldn't find it, too many pages to go through.

They're had some neutral feedbacks on labels, which are similar to your concerns but seems it was stated the reason was they were probably sample sizes.

You can always use the, Ask Seller a Question option. Being so late in the auction, don't know if you would get a response.

Like I said, if something is damaged and not noted in the auction or the size is not correct, you can file a dispute which can take some time.

Here's another way to look at it. There's only 8 hours to go on it. Watch it and maybe no one else will bid on it. Decide if it's worth the chance to get it for a real bargain although there's a slim chance there might be something not quite right.

Don't know if any of this has been helpful.;)

I don't think I'd have a problem buying from them, they're a power seller with 53,692 sales and their feedback is 99.6% positive. They've had only one negative in the last month, couldn't find it, too many pages to go through.

They're had some neutral feedbacks on labels, which are similar to your concerns but seems it was stated the reason was they were probably sample sizes.

You can always use the, Ask Seller a Question option. Being so late in the auction, don't know if you would get a response.

Like I said, if something is damaged and not noted in the auction or the size is not correct, you can file a dispute which can take some time.

Here's another way to look at it. There's only 8 hours to go on it. Watch it and maybe no one else will bid on it. Decide if it's worth the chance to get it for a real bargain although there's a slim chance there might be something not quite right.

Don't know if any of this has been helpful.;)

YES, your feedback has been VERY helpful, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to look and offer your opinion!! Thank you so very much!!! :D

If all else fails, go to the dress manufacturer's website--sometimes you can buy directly from them! I did that once, with great, fast results!

I have looked at the manufacturer's website and the price is A LOT more than the ebay price . . . it's not even on sale through the manufacturer. Thanks so much for the response though, I appreciate it!!

Paypal does NOT honor their guarantee. I never received a dress and because the seller gave Paypal a tracking number of a package delivered in my town but NOT my zipcode, Paypal said this was "proof" of delivery.

Now I live in a suburb of Atlanta that has 150,000 population and this seller had a store on Ebay and sold lots of stuff there -100's of items in a month-so the odds of their selling to another person where I live is VERY good.

I reported this to the post office to see if they had an address where delivery was. The post office told me they only keep tract of zipcodes on deliverys by tracking number. They also said the odds of my dress being delivered to the wrong address and wrong zipcode are pretty much nil. The address could be goofed but that mail is seperated by zipcode, and mail from two zipcodes would not be delivered together.

I know the Post Office called it "fraud" what the seller did and they went after them but I never got a refund from Paypal.

All I can say is beware. Now you can get some good deals on Ebay but realize you can get burnt also, but if the deal is good enough, maybe it is worth taking a chance.

I've bought some stuff on Ebay and so far I've never been cheated, although I live in Europe. The first thing to be aware is the feedback score - if the member has 98-99% they're probably going to handle your order perfectly. As a buyer I'm always concerned with MY feedback, I try to pay my winnings right away in order to get good feedback.

My best tips are to (1) read the description properly and (2) look up the shippinginfo. If you've done so, not much could get wrong if you buy from a certified, secure seller.

Other posters have given you good advice. I wouldn't hesitate with a Power Seller and that high a positive feedback rating.

One note on the sizing. I always ask for measurements of the actual garment (if it's not posted). That way I'm sure it will fit regardless of the sizing which can vary.

I've been buying and selling on Ebay since 1996. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that gown if you know it's your size and that's the one you want. It's a great price. The seller is reputable. Use your credit card through Paypal. You always have the recourse to file a dispute with your card company if there is a problem but this seller wouldn't have gotten where he's at if he wasn't reputable. Good luck and I'd go for it!

Kristy

I've bought lots of things on ebay. Look to see if they have a return policy. Several of the stores I order from do. All want 5 star ratings and will do alot to make sure they get no negative feedback. In fact I bought 4 of my dresses for my cruise from ebay in the past 3 months.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond! I've finally decided just to "bite the bullet" and give it a try - I REALLY want this dress! I've been searching for it ever since I tried it on in the store and would have bought it then had it not been damaged. The only other way besides Ebay I can get it is to buy it off the manufacturer's website for $440 SO Ebay is a MUCH better deal and hopefully I won't get burned! Auction closes in less than 4 hours, so we'll see . . . DH LOVES this dress on me just as much as I do, so here's hoping I get it!! DD also has a dress that will coordinate with it nicely for pictures! Again, thank you all so much!

Well, this isn't going to help since you decided to go ahead and buy the dress, but I have concern. It looks as though the tags have actually been removed. Which means, to me, that the dress has been worn and therefore isn't 'new'. It's being advertised as new though.

I don't buy from ebay sellers with less than 100% positive feedback. I've been burned a few times and those were with sellers having 99.5-99.8% positive.

Paypal does NOT honor their guarantee. I never received a dress and because the seller gave Paypal a tracking number of a package delivered in my town but NOT my zipcode, Paypal said this was "proof" of delivery.

To make such a broad, generalized, blanket statement based on your one experience is just plain wrong and helps the OP in no way

IMO that tag has definitely been messed with, but after reading the details of the description and the seller's feedback, and the price, I'd take a chance on it. I have well over 100 buying transactions on ebay and even tho' someone has 99.8 or 99.6 or whatever, you have to take into consideration how many total they have, sometimes they'll have thousands of positives and it just takes one jerk to leave an unwarranted negative comment to ruin the perfect score. Sometimes ppl get caught up in the heat of bidding and don't read all the fine print and get mad when something is not what they expected, so they rush to leave neg feedback rather than try to work something out with the seller. That seller is a powerseller with a pretty much great reputation. So it appears that the tag was detached and reattached-kinda stinks that they weren't honest about it if that's the case, but it's still a bargain compared to what the price could be!

Enjoy your new find!

Clearly the tag has been taken off and replaced...but for the price you paid, it might be a great deal. You probably couldn't find that dress in a resale shop for that price, and it is certainly a gorgeous dress! I hope it works out for you. :)

I've been dealing with e-bay regularly for five years. I've bought hundreds of items and have never been "ripped off". Most e-bay sellers have far better customer service that brick-and-mortar stores.

I do take time to read the description and terms carefully; each seller sets thier own terms for payment, refunds, etc.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the PP who recommended that you ask for garment measurements (There's an "Ask the Seller a Question" link on the description page), and any other information you wish BEFORE bidding. If the seller does not respond to my request, I don't bid.

You can get some GREAT deals on Ebay!:)

To make such a broad, generalized, blanket statement based on your one experience is just plain wrong and helps the OP in no way

I explained what happend to me-that the seller provided Paypal with a tracking number. I also explained that the tracking number was a package delivered to my towen but NOT my zipcode. I did not make a blanket statement. I said Paypal does not always back their guarantee-at least they did not with me.

Paypall took the attitude that the post office did not deliver to the right address or lese I was lying.

The post office told me that mistakes like that do not happen when addresses are differant zipcodes.

BTW- I paid $12 shipping on this dress for insurance and the expediated shipping, I contacted the seller after 2 weeks after 3 weeks I posted a complaint with Paypal, the very day I posted the compalint, the seller came up a tracking number of a package delivered THAT SAME DAY.

Before I made the compalint the seller kept saying they would "give me a refund" but each day none was posted to my Paypal acount which is why I made the claim to Paypal.

BTW the seller called themselves "Mr Haney's" and was a power seller on Ebay with 97% positive feedback, Now as to whether they are still on Ebay I have no idea as the post office was going after them for fraud.

Paypal does NOT honor their guarantee.

I did not make a blanket statement. I said Paypal does not always back their guarantee-at least they did not with me.

Sorry, but your first post is a blanket statement. Even though you went on to explain what happened, you did not add the caveat that you did in your second post.

Unfortunately you ran into one of the few unethical sellers on eBay. As someone else mentioned, there is always the option of disputing a charge with your credit card company.

Sorry, but your first post is a blanket statement. Even though you went on to explain what happened, you did not add the caveat that you did in your second post.

Unfortunately you ran into one of the few unethical sellers on eBay. As someone else mentioned, there is always the option of disputing a charge with your credit card company.

I have filed several disputes with Paypal, and always received my money back. However, I have also had the same experience as this poster. An eBay package was sent with delivery confirmation. I never received it, yet my local P.O. showed it was delivered, to someone in my city. P.O. would not let me file any claim as, "package was delivered". Points out the uselessness of delivery confirmation to protect a buyer. It merely shows a postal worker scanned the package and it went out for delivery; it does not show to whom it was delivered.

The only protection you have for that is signature required.

The OP should print out the auction with its description and pay for her purchase using a credit card through Paypal. If dress is not as described, she must file a claim with Paypal and eBay and she should be fine. It's not really too significant that the tag is messed up. A lot of these sellers have things that have been mauled by buyers in stores!

I have filed several disputes with Paypal, and always received my money back. However, I have also had the same experience as this poster. An eBay package was sent with delivery confirmation. I never received it, yet my local P.O. showed it was delivered, to someone in my city. P.O. would not let me file any claim as, "package was delivered". Points out the uselessness of delivery confirmation to protect a buyer. It merely shows a postal worker scanned the package and it went out for delivery; it does not show to whom it was delivered.

The only protection you have for that is signature required.

The OP should print out the auction with its description and pay for her purchase using a credit card through Paypal. If dress is not as described, she must file a claim with Paypal and eBay and she should be fine. It's not really too significant that the tag is messed up. A lot of these sellers have things that have been mauled by buyers in stores!

That is what I was told too- addresses are only recorded on signed deliveries. But the fact that my zipcode did not match the delivery zipcode, the post office did do an investigation. Now it did not get my money back-but you know I did not care. It was less then $30 and I HAD been spending several hundred a month at Ebay, I was an Ebay addict, so this "cured" me, this happening has probally saved me thousands since that happened almost a year ago. ( I guess too, as much as I was buying, something like this was bound to happen-the laws of odd, you know)

I guess what really "pissed" me was Paypal's insuation that I was lying to get I think $22.50 back (too long now to remember- all I know is I was the starting bid for the dress and had been to a much higher bid point but no one else bid again me so it went for like $8.99)

A few weeks before I had bought a ring that cost $150. If I was going to make a false claim, I would have made it on that purchase not the less then $30 purchase.

I did dispute the charge but by this time, after flighting it out with Ebay-it had been 6 weeks and American Express pretty much said, (Paypal sent them the SAME tracking number as "proof"and I had the person who was a supervisor at American Express that I talked on the phone with; look and see that the zip code did not match my zipcode) I was told there was nothing that could be done about it. If only I had done this after 2 weeks instead of 6 weeks.

Well, this isn't going to help since you decided to go ahead and buy the dress, but I have concern. It looks as though the tags have actually been removed. Which means, to me, that the dress has been worn and therefore isn't 'new'. It's being advertised as new though.

I don't buy from ebay sellers with less than 100% positive feedback. I've been burned a few times and those were with sellers having 99.5-99.8% positive.

This was my biggest issue with the dress - the tags and is what prompted my post. I went back and forth all day over whether or not to bid on the dress and finally decided to and then spent the rest of the evening hoping someone would bid against me. No one did and I won the auction . . . at least I got the dress for the minimum bid . . . seller didn't even get their "buy it now" price. I did find the same dress in the same size used on Ebay and they were asking more than this one . . . I'm really hoping I'm not going to get burned. Thanks.

Archived