The Wave Cabin....WHAT ARE THEY THINKING..

JLC@SD

I can't believe the design of the Floor Plan for the new "Wave Cabins"........:confused: :eek:

They have successfully squeezed another foot of width out of the cabin.....however...

When you open the cabin door......YOU ARE IN THE BATHROOM......:confused:

Imagine......your wife has just stepped out of the shower and is drying off........and you enter the room........or she is standing at the sink......brushing her teeth in her underwear.......and you open the door......:eek:

......and if you are of any size.......good luck fitting in that toilet compartment space or shower space.

......and sitting in the sofa.......you get to look at the closet.

.......and the vanity......if anyone is sitting there and you need to get by......you have to jump up on and over the bed......:confused:

news_F3_balcony2.jpg

I say wait until the real thing is complete. Until then try an NCL cruise. To answer one of your questions what if your wife has just stepped out of the shower and is drying off and you enter the room? Simple we may be late for dinner. What a second you can never be late for dinner on NCL.;)

I can't believe the design of the Floor Plan for the new "Wave Cabins"........:confused: :eek:

They have successfully squeezed another foot of width out of the cabin.....however...

Imagine......your wife has just stepped out of the shower and is drying off........and you enter the room........or she is standing at the sink......brushing her teeth in her underwear.......and you open the door......:eek:

......and if you are of any size.......good luck fitting in that toilet compartment space or shower space.

......and sitting in the sofa.......you get to look at the closet.

.......and the vanity......if anyone is sitting there and you need to get by......you have to jump up on and over the bed......:confused:

news_F3_balcony2.jpg

Actually, the new wave cabins are very efficient using space.

Move the left cabin in your drawing to the right. What you end up with is a rectangle, almost a square, with two cabins and with a curved wall between. The bed is located where the cabin is widest, the sofa where the cabin is most narrow. Most traditional rectangular cabins have the same width throughout, has wasted space in front of the sofa, usually enough to place a small coffee table. This cabin doesn't have room for a coffee table, which is why there isn't one. So what are the advantages of the wave cabin? More closest space and a larger shelf.

Yes, you're looking at a closest, but it's woodwork, not a blank wall. Who's going to be looking at the closest anyways, your eyes should be looking out on the sea through the huge glass doors.

The bathroom area is actually larger than before by moving the sink out into the cabin. More than one person can be using the bathroom facilities at a time. In fact three. One in the shower, one on the toilet, and one at the sink. Try squeezing three into a bathroom in a traditional cabin.

Being more efficient with space means the cabin seems larger.

When your wife gets out of the shower she can get tried in the shower room. Its better then it looks. I stepped inside the mock up and there was plenty of space. Why is it so bad if you walk in on your wife brushing her teeth? The new cabins are awesome. They shower and bathroom areas are no smaller then in current cabins. Just not connected.

Well if you cant stand to see your wife in her underwear what makes you think we would want to? This is a case for Dr. Phil! :D

I do not like sinks in the bedroom area. Don't want to see/hear anyone (incl my DH) brushing teeth, washing up, etc. I like to go to bed late, sleep late. He is early to bed and early to rise.

I really don't like not having a sink in the area of the toilet. Just me a germ phobia, YUCK!!!

The bed/sofa area looks ok. Seems to be lots of storage. I just can't get past the bathroom layout. It is not for me.

Well if you cant stand to see your wife in her underwear what makes you think we would want to? This is a case for Dr. Phil! :D

........my point was when someone walks in the door..........I don't think she will appreciate becoming part of the corridor.....:D

Actually, the new wave cabins are very efficient using space..

.......to me it feels more like a Motorhome layout.....;)

This cabin doesn't have room for a coffee table, which is why there isn't one. So what are the advantages of the wave cabin? More closest space and a larger shelf.

......which also means no space to stand around in the cabin.

Yes, you're looking at a closest, but it's woodwork, not a blank wall. Who's going to be looking at the closest anyways, your eyes should be looking out on the sea through the huge glass doors..

......unless you are in the left (light blue) layout. There you are looking at the sink, closet and vanity.

More than one person can be using the bathroom facilities at a time. In fact three. One in the shower, one on the toilet, and one at the sink.

.......then at the same time they can all switch places......:D

I realize there are various opinions.........I think it is a plan with the objective to squeeze the cabins together.......making the waves fit together is obvious.......to get more cabins down the row.....:)

The pictures appear more aesthetically pleasing than the plan view, but it would appear that the standard, which I am assuming is an inside cabin, has no seating other than the bed and an oh-so-comfy stool. Also, can these cabins accommodate more than two people? What would the configuration be for three or four in a cabin? No one is sleeping on that curved couch! Do they mention the *square* (chuckle) footage of the cabins anywhere?

The pictures only show the rooms with the couch next to the window, not the opposite configuration. The couch nowhere near the window/balcony is pretty pointless.

I do have reservations about the shower exit being right in the path of the main door. There'd better be a bar on that door to prevent anyone from entering before I'm dressed! I don't think that having a sink with toothpaste, soap, hairdryers, etc. in my living space/bedroom is very appealing.

Honestly, what this appears to be (to me) is a way to disguise the fact that they are cramming double the number of people into a relatively small space. 4200 passengers? Holy smokes!

Just my prima fascia impressions.

Thank goodness you have over 3k posts.

The aficionado's on this site will probably let your gripe slide.

Please don't misunderstand my post.........it is not a gripe.......it is a Cruiser's Critique.........:)

CruiseCriticLogo2.gif

Honestly, what this appears to be (to me) is a way to disguise the fact that they are cramming double the number of people into a relatively small space. 4200 passengers? Holy smokes!

........for discussion......say the distance from the wall to the back of the sofa is 7 feet........and say the distance from the wall to the back of the bed is 9 feet.

With the wave layout......since a bed and a sofa make up the widthot two rooms.........the width of two rooms is 7 feet plus 9 feet or 16 feet.

Two bed widths is 18 feet........thus there is 2 feet less for evey two rooms.......and 1 less foot for each room........or.........one extra room for every 9 rooms........;)

Actually, the new wave cabins are very efficient using space.

So are RV campers. I've seen camp trailers that are more efficient. Only the very smallest RV has the bedroom / bathroom / living area / closet area crammed into one space.

Personally I think it sucks.

Being more efficient with space means the cabin seems larger.

"Seems" and "Is" are completely different. The lack of space will become apparent very quickly while living in it. I find very little closet space compared to any other ship we have sailed. And there is no living or dressing space.

Remember...... this is brought to you by the purveyors of the "Pride of Aloha". NCL is grabbing straws trying to stay afloat in my opinion.

I'd never sail this ship...... unless it is half the price..... then maybe I'll be willing to "go camping". ;) :rolleyes:

I can see folks fighting for which layout they get.:rolleyes: Personally I like the lightblue (left) layout as the bed seems to face the balcony and I could look at the sea from the bed, but the one on the right seems to face away from the balcony so I'd be forced to look at a wall or TV...until I see the "real" rooms I could be wrong but that's the way it looks on the designs.

I went to Aker Yard's cabin factory and walked through a mock up. They had a hallway and the cabins coming off it. I must say that picture of the floor plan is HORRIBLE. I think it should just be used to show the curve in the walls and thats it. The real cabins are much roomier.

Let's compare the New Wave Balcony with a Dawn balcony.

F3

news_F3_balcony2.jpg

BalconyfromDoor.jpg

Dawn

03_strm_sche_balc.gif

03_sr_ostrm_bal_lrg.jpg

Which looks smaller, assuming the glass balcony doors are the same size?

It is not equal to compare a photo.........with a drawing that has "artistic license"..........I think the drawing has more space portrayed.......between the bed and counter than is indicated in the Wave plan.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the actual cabin. A drawings can exagerate space........just like a wide angle lens can........:)

"Thank goodness you have over 3k posts.

The aficionado's on this site will probably let your gripe slide'

Yes but according to their signature I believe that they have never cruised on NCL.

Cheers

Dennis

I'd be happy to see the demise of the coffee tables:) The last thing you need in a ship's cabin is extra furniture IMO. Maybe its just me, but I always wish I could ask the cabin steward to remove it (I assume they can't do that, right?) because I'd rather have the walking space. Maybe they could make coffee tables with fold up legs so those who don't want them could slide 'em under the beds.

I do not like sinks in the bedroom area. Don't want to see/hear anyone (incl my DH) brushing teeth, washing up, etc. I like to go to bed late, sleep late. He is early to bed and early to rise.

I really don't like not having a sink in the area of the toilet. Just me a germ phobia, YUCK!!!

The bed/sofa area looks ok. Seems to be lots of storage. I just can't get past the bathroom layout. It is not for me.

I don't care for sinks in the bedroom, either, and agree they should be in the toilet area.

With all the emphasis of washing hands after using the bathroom, I don't understand this trend of putting sinks outside of where they are needed. Put in two sinks if you must, but don't take the only one from where it is needed for health reasons. Having the sink in the bedroom area increases the surfaces that will be touched before washing hands, that is if the person doesn't get distracted and forgets to wash their hands altogether.

Yeah, I'm a germophobe, but I don't want to see first hand what Noro virus or hepatitis is like.

I loved the room we had on the Pride of Hawaii, so I'll stick with that category of ship (along with the categories before it) and the traditional room layout.

Archived