Transportation Xingang to Great Wall

onthelake

Please help! My husband has the idea that we can get off of the ship in Xingang (for Beijing) and find a taxi that will take us to the Great Wall and back for a bargain price on Oct. 6th (the Chinese Holiday week). This is one time and place that I say take the ship's tour. Any advice? I must say I have looked at some private tour options and many of them are more expensive than the ship's tour.

Um, it's about a two hour drive to Beijing and another hour to the Great Wall, depending upon traffic. Traffic can be a nightmare. It took us 3 1/2 hours when we did the drive to the city, let alone the Wall. If it's a holdiday, the traffic will be worse, as will the crowds at the Badaling gate (closest spot to Beijing to access the wall).

To grab a taxi can be dicey as you can't be assured that the driver will speak English.

If you have a flight to deal with or any kind of a timetable, then I would suggest a ship's tour. They are practiced at this sort of thing.

Also be aware that not all Taxis are licenced to go "everywhere" many haveareas to which they are bound and cannot leave this area.

Your best bet is to contact one of the big Tour operators like tour-beijing.com. They will also issue you with letters of invitation often helpful when getting your visa. Those are a real problem right now.

This is a REALLY bad idea during Golden Week. Traffic will be worse than usual. And by the time you get to the Great Wall (Badaling section), you will be lucky to get into the parking lot. We were there 3 years ago during Golden Week(never again during that time frame!!!). The tour buses were backed up out the driveway of the parking lot. Some had been waiting over 90 minutes just to get to the parking lot.

I hired a private car and driver through our hotel and we left the hotel at 7:30AM. Our driver was able to go around the buses and get us into the parking lot. But by 11:00AM, it was so crowded, we left. Same thing at Tiannamen Sq-more people in that small space than I could possibly imagine.

Take the ship tour-you may have MAJOR problems trying to hire a car and as posted previously, not all taxi drivers speak English. Or get into Beijing, spend the night and leave EARLY the next morning for the Great Wall with a private car and driver arranged by your hotel. It seems like all of China descends on Beijing during Golden Week.

Thank you for all the info. We are only in Xingang from 7AM to 7PM and from what I have read, the immigration agents can take their time with releasing passengers ashore. The ships tour isn't even going to try to go toward Beijing - they are visiting the Huangyaguan section of the wall. We travel often but not in Asia. I am much more concerned about communication and the fact that I cannot read/understand signs, etc. to know if we are on the right track.

You'll be well advised to take the ship's tours to Huangyaguan section of the Great Wall. It is well served by organized tours from both the Tianjin train and bus stations and it much easier to reach from the port.

If you were to decide to see the Great Wall by heading to Beijing, you will be asking for trouble. The traffic is monstrous, the traffic jams can be overwhelming and the two Wall sites from Beijing, Mutianyu or Badaling are even further outside the city. Badaling is always packed, Mutianyu is less visited, but is a longer drive along winding country roads. It has also a long climb uphill from the car park!

Also, you would be lucky to find a cab driver in the port area who could speak English - and believe me, this is most important! Without a driver who can understand you - you'll be in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all the other post. i have been to Beijing not many taxi drivers speak english. pay the money and do the cruise ship tour.the only people with good english are the sales girls and guys in the markets.

all signs are in chinese toilet ???? its a great place to visit enjoy and don,t skimp for the sake of a few dollars.remember all entry fees would be included in the cost.Do it your self not in China.

I did a five day tour of beijing with this company they where great.

CITS Chinese Inernational Travel Service. you could try to see if they do day trips. Enjoy its only money.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Xingang but for two nights. We arranged a tour through Beijing Service - they were excellent and far cheaper than the ship's tour. Our overnight was less than half the cost of the ship's equivalent tour - and we ended up seeing more since there were only 6 of us to get in and out of the van. Our contact was Tracy - tracy@beijingservice.com - I am sure she could tell you if going to the wall during Golden Week will be feasible. I agree with everyone else that you should NOT try a taxi.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have just returned from Beijing pre cruise on Oceania.

We used KongLin. His arrangements were excellent and his vehicles were brand new. He dropped us off at Tianjin port as well. You could find his details on the Fodor's Asia page.

We too just returned from China and visited the Great Wall at Mutianyu yes they have a cable car that takes you to the top however it does not run fromm the parking lot you still have to climb up to the loading station whihc is up a steep hill lined with vendors selling all kinds of souvenirs. Once at the top of the hill you have 3 flights of stairs to climb to the loading platform. Once at the top of the cable car you still have approx 2 more flights of stairs to get you to the top oft he great wall. Is it worth it YES YES YES....

• 5 weeks later...

On the Lake:

My husband and I are also looking for transportation on the 6th of October perhaps we can share a car or van thru a tour company. We are staying at the Great Wall Sheraton email me at smd201@bellsouth.net. A friend gave me a tour company that will pick us up and I'll be happy to give you the details.

Thank you everyone. We have gone ahead and pre-booked the shore excursion for the Great Wall from the ship. It is our 'can't miss' for the trip - and I know we won't miss the port because it is an embarkation/debarkation point!

Archived