Downgraded ... hopefully not upgraded

gooch47

We just paid about $160 to be DOWNGRADED from a cabin on Riviera Deck to Dolphin Deck on our Barbados cruise. The price went up hence more money for the lower category cabin, but we decided we did NOT want the cabin on Riviera Deck right next to the Men's Room.

Anyway, now I'm worried that we might get UPGRADED back to Riviera.

I understand that - sometimes an upgrade is not.

We downgraded to an oceanview from a balcony on a repositioning New England cruise. It was so late in the year, I knew it would be too cold out there (and I was right). We were 'upgraded' from a mid-ship lower deck - to a forward cabin higher deck.

Not an upgrade to me ! I said NO, then was told that my cabin was given away ! (That was my last Princess cruise ) They finally found something similar but I was no happy that my chosen cabin was changed w/o contacting me.

Well, now we have made res. on the Island this year. They better not do it again !

Hope you get what you want, MaryAnn

Well, we wouldn't mind an upgrade, just not back to the one we just gave up on Riviera Deck. :o

I know this is a stupid question considering the number of cruises we've taken, but are you given the option to upgrade or is it automatic?

I you are happy with the cabin you booked just get the reservation marked "NO UPGRADE". If you do that you don't have anything to worry about. I always have ours marked "no upgrade", if I really wanted a better category that badly, I would pay for it.

I don't understand why you paid to get downgraded??? If you look at the deck plans there are several inside cat II cabins on the Sea Princess that are larger than the outside view you had and are probably a lot less money. However - it's your choice.

Ron

We just paid about $160 to be DOWNGRADED from a cabin on Riviera Deck to Dolphin Deck on our Barbados cruise. The price went up hence more money for the lower category cabin, but we decided we did NOT want the cabin on Riviera Deck right next to the Men's Room.

Anyway, now I'm worried that we might get UPGRADED back to Riviera.

You did know that if you have a good TA and there were other cabins available in that category, you could have switched? Even if the one was an upgrade from Princess, as long as there are others still empty you can move from one to the next within that category? So, you don't necessairly have to accept the location and exact stateroom they assigned you.

Well, we wouldn't mind an upgrade, just not back to the one we just gave up on Riviera Deck. :o

I know this is a stupid question considering the number of cruises we've taken, but are you given the option to upgrade or is it automatic?

They are supposed to give you an opportunity to accept/decline but I have heard alot of horror stories of people loosing their original cabin and usually it is too late to get it back by the time they offer it to you. :(

Is upgrading that common? I'm curious, as we've never been offered one on Princess. We have been given a discount after booking when the prices drop (just got another one last week), but never an upgrade.

Maybe our TA is just turning them down without telling us, as she knows how specific we get on cabin selection. But, she's pretty forthcoming about everything.

Is upgrading that common? I'm curious, as we've never been offered one on Princess. We have been given a discount after booking when the prices drop (just got another one last week), but never an upgrade.

Maybe our TA is just turning them down without telling us, as she knows how specific we get on cabin selection. But, she's pretty forthcoming about everything.

No it is not common, very hit/miss. ;)

They are supposed to give you an opportunity to accept/decline but I have heard alot of horror stories of people loosing their original cabin and usually it is too late to get it back by the time they offer it to you. :(

No, Princess does not give the opportunity to accept/decline if they decide to give you an upgrade. That is why they give the option to mark your booking with no upgrade and it is so important to mark your booking with no upgrade if it is important to you to keep the cabin you've booked. Now, have they ever asked? Probably, but that is not their norm and one should not expect them to.

Actually Princess does give the opportunity to accept/decline. I have clients that are sailing now. 4 Ladies booked two inside cabins. Two days prior to embarkation Princess called me to see if they would be interested in all 4 of them being in one Vista Suite. Called the clent and they declined. Called Princess back and declined it and they moved on to the next name on the list

Warren and Yvonne

like the quote before you, it happens but thats a bonus and they do not have to, you mark or yout ta marks 'no auto ugrade', if you say yes to going on the auto upgrade list and you get upgraded u get no say as to where the cabin is and you cannot go back to your original cabin, oh and you are automatically on the upgrade list unless it is declined.

Actually Princess does give the opportunity to accept/decline. I have clients that are sailing now. 4 Ladies booked two inside cabins. Two days prior to embarkation Princess called me to see if they would be interested in all 4 of them being in one Vista Suite. Called the clent and they declined. Called Princess back and declined it and they moved on to the next name on the list
But this is a change of booking arrangements just as much as it is an upgrade and is thus one of the rare times that Princess would call. Going from two persons in each room to four in one room; Princess should call for this kind of change. But had it been two insides upgraded to two OV cabins, you probably would not have received a phone call offering you a choice. I have to agree with others that while Princess might call, their standard behavior is to just assign an upgrade without an option to accept or decline in advance.

We had to pay the extra because prices had gone up since we booked. It was kind of a messed up situation anyway. We were on a wait list for a balcony cabin originally. Then the one on Riviera came up and we grabbed it but it somehow got entered as a second booking ... we were still on the wait list, too. I don't know all the particulars. Our TA is fighting to get the additional charge removed.

We probably should get the "No Upgrade" added like we usually do, but we had originally decided to take our chances on just this one cruise.

No, Princess does not give the opportunity to accept/decline if they decide to give you an upgrade. That is why they give the option to mark your booking with no upgrade and it is so important to mark your booking with no upgrade if it is important to you to keep the cabin you've booked. Now, have they ever asked? Probably, but that is not their norm and one should not expect them to.

Thats funny they have always asked me first. :rolleyes:

Archived