Traditional or "anytime" dining when solo?

trishbebears

Hi Solo Cruisers!

I am going on my first solo cruise in March 2009, a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. This cruise is my 60th birthday present to myself. I have traveled solo before and enjoyed myself, so I have no apprehensions about a solo cruise.

I have signed up for traditional dining, late seating. After reading several positive posts about "anytime" & "freestyle" dining, I'm wondering if I should change to "anytime" dining. I have done freestyle dining on an NCL cruise and really liked the freedom of dining on my time.

I was was having a hard time deciding on early or late seating, and went with late, but now I'm having second thoughts. Luckily, it is not too late to change.

Chime in everybody. I want to hear about others experiences with both types of dining.

Thank,

Trish

On my first cruise I had late traditional seating. Never used it. Much too late for me to eat. On my second cruise, I had anytime and loved that. Made it easier to eat if on port days instead of being worried about making a set time to eat. On my third cruise, my mom and I have early traditional since we are on a small ship that doesn't do anytime. I think we will like the early time. Hope this helps.

I did traditional late dining on my Christmas/New Years cruise on the Dawn Princess two years ago. I really enjoyed it. I liked having that 'home base' at the end of each day. Originally I figured I probably wouldn't hit the dining room each night but I enjoyed my table so much that I did.

I'm glad to see so many people saying that the freestyle type dining worked out well for them.

Faith

While cruising solo I've dining anytime and traditional (late seating). Traditional is the only way for me. I agree with Faith77, I like the "home base" feel of traditional.

I feel like I have to scrounge around for dining partners with anytime dining. There are lots of folks that don't want to share a table with others and I don't particularly want to deal with that ordeal.

Last month I was solo on the Veendam and had the anytime dining. I expected to hate it at first, but I loved it - and booked it for the next cruise (not solo next time).

I never EVER heard of anyone refusing someone who was going to be seated at their table! What HAL does is tell you what size table they're seating that moment (usually a 6, 8 and once a 10) and if you want to wait for something else, you do so. I never did, and they filled up that table quickly with people arriving, then the servers took the orders all at one time. It couldn't have worked better - and I got to meet so many more people than I would have if it'd stuck with the same group for every night. I ate at different times each night, but mostly around 7 - and never had a wait for a table.

On all my future cruises, I'll only be on HAL and I'll only be doing the anytime dining.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

Unless I'm on NCL I always take the traditional late seating. While I greatly enjoy traveling solo, it's nice to have someone to talk to in the evening about the day's events. With traditional seating you always have the same table mates, and a waiter that quickly gets to know your little quarks.

I choose the late seating, because I don't want to be rushed. If I've been out sightseeing all day, the last thing I want to do is have worry about rushing to dinner. If you are use to eating earlier, just order a little snack with room service to hold you over.

The flip side of all of this... NCL is my 'water taxi'. They take me to cool ports of call for a cheap price. Their food and service don't impress me at all. So freestyle works better for me there. I just run upstairs, try to find something to fill the void and if I'm real lucky I might even find a place to sit. On the past 4 cruises with NCL, there was often a seating shortage. On my last cruise several times we had to carry our lunch to the cabin, just to have a place to sit. The good news is I always loose weight with NCL. LOL

Anytime dining is thee only way to go when dining solo.

I respectfully disagree with you 100%.

I sail with Celebrity where traditional dining is still in place.

I have late seating and always request a large table.

Personally, I love having the same wait staff every night

and getting to know my tablemates too. I enjoy the entire

ambiance each night and dinner is one of my most favorite

times of the day. I always look forward to the evening

and all of my waiters have been outstanding. Hoping to

see some of them I know from past sailings on my upcoming

Alaska cruise:) ...its like coming again when you know staff

and crew!

Different strokes for different folks:)

While cruising solo I've dining anytime and traditional (late seating). Traditional is the only way for me. I agree with Faith77, I like the "home base" feel of traditional.

I feel like I have to scrounge around for dining partners with anytime dining. There are lots of folks that don't want to share a table with others and I don't particularly want to deal with that ordeal.

I love traditional dining as well:)

I just posted some of my reasons on a previous reply.

I love having the same waiter each evening and getting to know

my tablemates too:)

quote by wdw:

"and I got to meet so many more people than I would have if it'd stuck with the same group for every night"

Hi, different strokes for different folks:)

I don't feel like I am being "stuck" but rather enjoying

the other folks who also enjoy eating at the same table;)

I have plenty of opportunties to meet people but as for

dinner I always enjoy having the same wait staff each night.

Bascially, I just enjoy traditional dining:)

Nice to have all these different options:)

What HAL does is tell you what size table they're seating that moment (usually a 6, 8 and once a 10) and if you want to wait for something else, you do so.

Were these tables comprised entirely of solos? Or simply anyone (couples, threesomes, etc.) that would otherwise make up less than a full table?

I generally prefer to dine alone but perhaps wouldn't mind sitting at a large round table with other solos. But I'd really hate to share a 4-top or 2-top as it is just too "intimate." Similarly, I'd hate to be the only solo at a table occupied by couples. (Did I mention that I really prefer to dine alone?) :-)

As a solo cruiser, I loved my first cruise where I did traditional dining at a four-person table (it was nice to share the day's events with familiar people each night), then really disliked my Freestyle dining experience on my next cruise. However, on my last cruise I found myself at seated at a table with only one couple (honeymooners, I think) who spoke English as a second language. They were very nice people, but I felt like a 5th (3rd?) wheel, so spent the rest of the cruise eating at the buffet and specialty restaurant, and using room service, which worked out fine for me.

The lesson learned is that on a large ship with a number of dining choices, you're never really stuck with eating with incompatible dining companions or dining the same time every night, even if you pick traditional dining on a line that has freestyle/anytime/single-seating options. I picked traditional dining on my next cruise (Princess), but am no longer as concerned about getting stuck with an awkward dining situation; it I don't enjoy it, there's always room service, the buffet, and alternative restaurants.

I respectfully disagree with you 100%.

I sail with Celebrity where traditional dining is still in place.

I have late seating and always request a large table.

Personally, I love having the same wait staff every night

and getting to know my tablemates too. I enjoy the entire

ambiance each night and dinner is one of my most favorite

times of the day. I always look forward to the evening

and all of my waiters have been outstanding. Hoping to

see some of them I know from past sailings on my upcoming

Alaska cruise:) ...its like coming again when you know staff

and crew!

Different strokes for different folks:)

Your such a lovely lady, me Im not one for small talk at dinner. Even travelling solo normally at dinner Im so tired all I want to do is eat maybe catch a show, a cocktail and lights out. I had dinner on the Emerald Princess last fall in the Crowne Grill by myself it was a high point of my cruise, I had no idea that dining experience was going to be that nice. Plus dont you find as cruising solo, kinda odd sitting there by yourself with a handful of (for me Im 45 years very young) genuinely older senior COUPLES. I feel as though I make them uncomfortable and I dont want them concerning themselves with me especially on their cruise much less at dinner thats one of many reasons I ALWAYS sit by myself, its MUCH safer so to speak.......make any sense??? You would be surprised when people find out your solo, how often they ask you to sit with them at dinner its very nice, cruisers as a whole are genuinely wonderful people not sure what happened to me.:rolleyes: Take care Todd

Hi Todd:) I am 50 years old so not much older than you.

Do I find it odd sitting with couples? No, not in the least.

Maybe I have been very lucky, but 95% of the time I have

had very friendly tablemates.

On the chance I get a table where we don't click, I ask the Maitr'd

to move me and they have always been very quick to help me

without any problems.

As for sitting with "senior couples", are you speaking of people

my age? Or 60s and up? It depends on the person and I try

not to judge by age. I have had tablemates of all ages:)

I was not being sarcastic with my reply....just being

honest.

You prefer to always sit by yourself, I prefer to sit at a large table.

Its good we all have choices in this life:)

I'm with Lois on this. I'm not at all a fan of freestyle or open seating on a cruise. I've had too many experiences where the guy who seats you, looks at you like you're some kind of freak or with pity. I also don't care to horn in on strangers who might be there as a group. I was on Regent and the maitre'd sat me at a table for 10 and 8 of them were a group of friends. It was miserable. Another time, I was seated with a family with very misbehaved kids. Not a fun time. I love sitting with others night after night, hearing about their cruising experiences and asking them about the tours they took that day. I love having the same waiter each night who gets to know my preferences. I don't mind sitting with couples (most are very friendly and welcoming) or older passengers at an assigned table. Being a very social person, I love having a gab fest with people with whom I can develop a friendship.

BTW Lois, have you considered taking Solstice on December 14? How about it???

Darcie,:) that is her Inaugural and waaaayyyyyyy out

of my price range:eek:

Sorry girlfriend, no way I can do that one...unless you know

something I don't;)

It's all going to really depend on you and your likes and dislikes.

As you can see from this thread and the views on both styles differ for people.

On the anytime dining, the ones that favor it like it because it's flexiable. If they had a hard day in port and want to eat at 8:30 p.m. they can. If they want to eat early and enjoy all ship happening they can eat at 5:30 p.m. If you like meeting different people each night, this is also the way to go.

With the fixed dining, you have a set time for each night, the same service team, and the same tablemates. The majority of the time you are placed with solos or small groups. There are times when you might end up with the tablemates from hell and if the number of fixed dining tables are limited, you have to deal with them nightly. On the other hand, you can end up with people that you really enjoy and a service team that knows what you like at dinner.

Frankly, I prefer fixed dining and hope that I get it on my upcoming cruise. If I don't, I'm willing to give the anytime a chance.

Just ask yourself what do you want? If you don't like your choice, you know on your next cruise to do differ.

Happy sailing!!

Here's what I would do. Sign up for traditional dining at the time you like best. If you don't like who you're seated with, you can always switch to anytime or ask for another table. I sign up for late seating, but if I want to eat earlier any particular night, I do anytime for that one night only. It's no different than doing a specialty restaurant one night. As a courtesy I will tell my tablemates not to expect me the next night.

Hi Todd:) I am 50 years old so not much older than you.

Do I find it odd sitting with couples? No, not in the least.

Maybe I have been very lucky, but 95% of the time I have

had very friendly tablemates.

On the chance I get a table where we don't click, I ask the Maitr'd

to move me and they have always been very quick to help me

without any problems.

As for sitting with "senior couples", are you speaking of people

my age? Or 60s and up? It depends on the person and I try

not to judge by age. I have had tablemates of all ages:)

I was not being sarcastic with my reply....just being

honest.

You prefer to always sit by yourself, I prefer to sit at a large table.

Its good we all have choices in this life:)

First of all I didnt know you were only 50 thats my generation, and second I would love to have dinner with folks in there 50's and 60's. It just seems like these last 2 cruises(Princess) there have been a "significant" number of like I said in my first post "older senior couples" well into their 70's and 80's there simply wonderful people but right or wrong I simply have ZERO in common with them. I prefer sitting with folks who enjoy talking about there great day at port or what they're planning to do the following day than to sit with folks who talk about how many pills they have to take after dinner how many doctors they have "back home" and all that other goofy nonsense, Im not being sarcastic either. This last cruise on the Emerald I refered to it as the Scooter Store 500 cruise sounds funny but at times it wasnt, more times than often it wasnt, seniors in there 60's and 70's had enough of it. There were "very" few cruisers in their 40's and 50's with that being said I dont cruise with the idea of meeting someone, Im having a wonderful vacation thats why Im there, and thats why I always end up sitting by myself. I love Princess the entire product, I just wish they would focus towards a little younger crowd 40's and 50's maybe, .......purdee please!! :D Take care Todd

Hi Todd, I can understand you wanting to sit with folks your

own age (or within a few years anyway;) ) and sorry you

haven't had much luck in finding them.

I don't cruise looking to "find someone" either...not even in my

thought process when booking.

I always have a wonderful time too:D and after 15 cruises with

Celebrity, 13 of them solo I can honestly say 95% of my tablemates

have been great:) I agree, its great talking about your day, what

you did, etc.

The Scooter Store...LOL.......

I am thinking of booking my first Princess cruise for next March....

actually friends from these boards are booked on it. Its the Crowne,

on March 8th and we are all in the same age brackett.;)

Hello Lois, (I can call you Lois now seeins<--we still say that in WV), seeins how we only have a 4-5 year age difference, right?? :) Anyway I've never been on the Crowne but I've read nothing but positive comments and reviews actually more positive reviews on the Crowne than the Emerald. I thought you mainly cruised Celebrity, you really shouldnt be disappointed with Princess it may not be the same product as Celebrity but you really cant go wrong. I was on a tour in St. Thomas(2002) with 3 couples who were I think on the Millenium they LOVED it, BIG Blue Boat.

Lois, Im getting ready to book this falls cruise, I'm going back on the Emerald out of Port Everglades on Nov. 30th for 10 days. Same ship, same dates, different islands, its called the Southern Caribbean Explorer itinerary as opposed to the Eastern Caribbean Islander I did last year. I didnt like this itinerary as much as last years but I havent been to many of these islands(Aruba, Dominica, Grenada) plus I get to go back to St. John, St. Thomas is one of our ports, so I'm going for it. I got it covered. I'll let you know how it works out, hey keep me posted on that Crowne sailing, and thanks alot for being understanding. Todd

Hi Todd:)

I do normally sail Celebrity so I am a bit chicken to try something else:eek:

I have plenty of time to decide though and I know 3 people who

are going on it. We all enjoy traditional dining, late seating and

would sit together so I would already have friends to sit with;)

I just have to decide if I want to try it.

Do you know if Princess offers any discounts?

Hello Lois:)

Ok unlike yourself who cruises fairly often far more than I do anyway, me I get one, as nice a cruise as I can possibly afford "once" a year, if that makes any sense. It's MY vacation, that I worked rather hard for, the point Im trying to get to is "for me" I HAVE to have a balcony, Princess balcony's are straight up 200% for ANYBODY. With that said I drive a hard bargain on the final price, in other words my TA gets an earful ;), I DONOT want excuses I want thee best price possible, Im single solo Im getting stiffed as it is, I want THEE best price you've got on a NICE balcony. Im firm not aggressive. It works for me, everybody's happy and Im cruising, only way to go. My TA loves me:D.

The Crowne Princess is VERY popular you may have difficulty getting a real good deal but certainly dont pass up cruising on her, I hope that works out for you. I did late seating traditional dining for years and really enjoyed it, its just with now cruising solo, anytime dining offers so much more flexibility, but thats just me. One more thing it really doesnot pay to book early anymore, timing in booking is EVERYTHING, Im certainly in no hurry to book this falls cruise but regardless I want to get that behind me by 6/1 so I can start lining out my air and hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, Lois I got it covered remember??:) Take care Todd

Archived