Mercury - Just back from Alaska

Iggipolka

another cruiser just off Mercury (Hi William, Hi Monika) and can only repeat what has been said. Alaska was amazing! Mercury was wonderful, the staff excellent, the food great and the T Pool to die for lol (wish I could have brought it home !) Splash (no pun intended) out on the full cruise pass (if like us you're not in a suite) its worth it - but take an OLD swimming costume

I was just going to start a new thread to ask about the spa pass on Mercury! Please tell me the cost, any other perks besides the T-pool? Thanks

You are very welcome! I'm excited for you that you've got a fantastic trip coming up. I did save my dailies. I'll see if I can figure out how to scan them and stick them up somewhere.

Working on a more complete review as well. :)

Oh goodie. I can't wait to read them.

Did you also happen to get the menus, or photograph them? I looked today on the X website and saw a sample menu. At least 3 items on it had not been on any of my previous cruises. I was happy for the new inclusions. If you didn't do the above, do you remember any new stuff from the menus?

This is a strange question. Do you remember what movies they were showing on tv or in the movie theater? I just got off an NCL cruise where they had absolutely newly released DVDs, and I remembered that on X they had ones that were maybe a year old.Thanks

Thanks for the update. We're scheduled to sail on June 15th and are very much looking forward to a relaxing week onboard Mercury.

Hi berryhappy24

Thought I would pop in and say Hi from Tamicourt alias Peter & Christine Newton. Don't know if you remember the name as we all only met the once at the CC party back on the Millie on the June 30th European cruise/ docked holiday. I see you are going to Alaska. Good to see!!:D We are also going to Alaksa - Hubby wanted to go in June but my work commitments did not allow it so we are us booked on September 19th ultimate Alaskan Cruise and we are going on the infinity. Anyways thought I would say hi and wish both of you a fantastic cruise and hope all goes well for you. Don't forget to review. I will watch out for it.

Cya

Christine & Peter

The T-pool was absolutely fantastic. We used it daily, sometimes twice a day. There were times when it was completely empty, which was awesome as we could float in the middle of the pool. It was also really fun when the ship was rocking in high seas as the water would nearly splash over the sides of the pool.

Our swimsuits survived the pool just fine, but I know others have had trouble with the salt water destroying the fabric. We rinsed our suits really well with fresh water immediately after leaving the pool.

The T-pool and steam room is included with a suite. I think it was $180 for two people for a 7 day cruise. Totally worth it.

My wife and I are going this Sunday, May the 18th, on Mercury to Alaska!!! She was so excited that she sent me this link at work tonight!!!:) Two years ago we went on the Diamond Princess, our first cruise, and enjoyed every minute of it! It was the first week of August. Now I am really looking forward to boarding Sunday afternoon for a week of leisure and no stress!

Thanks to all for the heads up!

We will be waveing to you as you sail by Sechelt, enjoy.:)

The T-pool was absolutely fantastic. We used it daily, sometimes twice a day. There were times when it was completely empty, which was awesome as we could float in the middle of the pool. It was also really fun when the ship was rocking in high seas as the water would nearly splash over the sides of the pool. The T-pool and steam room is included with a suite. I think it was $180 for two people for a 7 day cruise. Totally worth it.

Thanks for that information. When we were in a suite on Century before the re-do when the T pool was removed, we also sometimes went twice a day. It was great!! Can't wait!

Thanks for posting. We are also going on Sunday (18th). I am a bit worried about the formal nights as this cruise was a last minute decision and we have not got any formal clothes with us! My husband went out and bought a tie and jacket, but doesn't have a "dark suit". I have one dress that is not really black tie, but is a dress at least! Do you think we will be OK on formal night, or should be stay away and order room service?

Thanks, and to the others who go on Sunday... you will know us, no formal clothes!!

Thanks for posting. We are also going on Sunday (18th). I am a bit worried about the formal nights as this cruise was a last minute decision and we have not got any formal clothes with us! My husband went out and bought a tie and jacket, but doesn't have a "dark suit". I have one dress that is not really black tie, but is a dress at least! Do you think we will be OK on formal night, or should be stay away and order room service?

Thanks, and to the others who go on Sunday... you will know us, no formal clothes!!

Do you have access to a long black skirt, maybe someone who sings in a choral group? Just put a fancy blouse with it. You'd be amazed what clothes your friends have in the back of their closets you might borrow.

There was a man at our dining room table our first cruise who did not bring a tie. He wore a sports coat over a sports shirt!! I think he felt out of place and they ate many times at the casual boulevard instead of the dining room on formal nights.

My husband hates to dress up, although I bought him a suit on eBay for that trip, and after that I made an agreement with him that we could have room service on formal nights (you can get the dinner dining room menu in your cabin during dinner hours, you know, so you don't have to do without the wonderful food!) or HE could and I'd go on to the dining room since I don't mind dressing up. But the dress code for the evening, not just the dining room is the same throughout the ship except for the pool area, spa etc.

If you have late seating you will be able to observe people on their way to the first seating and decide for yourselves if you have the appropriate clothing.

What you describe would be all right for informal nights but probably not formal nights, although women can get away with more by dressing up an outfit with jewelry or scarves etc. even if she is wearing a pants suit.

I doubt they'd turn you away at the door to the dining room, but you might get some hauty stares from some tuxedo clad people. And then again, you might not. It's hard to predict.

Celebrity is wonderful, but the formal part is hard for some people.

I also have a husband that does not like to be in a suit. So on formal nights he wears a jacket with dress pants or khakies and shirt sometimes a tie sometimes not. For him this is formal he is comfortable this way. We have been doing this on all 11 crusies we have been on. I have never noticed any stares or heard any comments, after all this is our cruise and we have paid for it and this is how we are comfortable. So we say do what feels right for you and don't worry what anyone else thinks

Thanks guys.

raymay - you make me feel a bit better! My husband bought 2 pairs of dress pants, a blue sport coat. He has lots of business shirts and a tie.

We are in Vancouver on a "year off", and were not expecting any black tie events, so didn't pack any formal wear.

I think we will definately be fine for informal nights, and maybe a little under dressed for formal night, so might go to one and see how we feel.

I'm sure it is fun for some people, but it would be nice to have other options onboard other than room service!

thanks again

Thanks guys.

raymay - you make me feel a bit better! My husband bought 2 pairs of dress pants, a blue sport coat. He has lots of business shirts and a tie.

We are in Vancouver on a "year off", and were not expecting any black tie events, so didn't pack any formal wear.

I think we will definately be fine for informal nights, and maybe a little under dressed for formal night, so might go to one and see how we feel.

I'm sure it is fun for some people, but it would be nice to have other options onboard other than room service!

thanks again

You do have other options. There is an area upstairs

near the buffet called "alternative dining". You are served

on linen, by waiters, off a menu. Attire is casual.

They do suggest a 2.00 per person gratuity, but no, you are

not forced to give it.

They also request reservations. (You can usually call anytime

the same day).

But if there are available seats you can probably get in without)

They have about 4 choices on the menu and I believe most

of the waiters are "in training".

2bundles

Isn't it great to live so close to the port and not have to do any flying. Your husband has more than enough clothes for the cruise. I don't know if dinner in the room would be a nice as the interaction from the waiters and the food in the casual area doesn't come clost to the food served in the dining room. Enjoy your cruise and you might never see the people on the cruise again so who cares what they think!!!

You do have other options. There is an area upstairs

near the buffet called "alternative dining". You are served

on linen, by waiters, off a menu. Attire is casual.

They do suggest a 2.00 per person gratuity, but no, you are

not forced to give it.

They also request reservations. (You can usually call anytime

the same day).

But if there are available seats you can probably get in without)

They have about 4 choices on the menu and I believe most

of the waiters are "in training".

We ate in the Alternative Dining area one night and had a very enjoyable meal. We were at Skagway until around 8:30pm and stayed in town until past our dining time. It was nice to have a sit down, very tasty meal, served in a casual atmosphere during sail away.

We didn't have reservations, but were able to be seated within 10 minutes. Our server was certainly in training as she was a little rough and scattered, but she was very friendly.

The menu offered a choice of 3 appetizers, 2 salads, 2 soups, 4 main courses and 4 desserts.

I had a fish dish that was even better tasting than the fish served in the main dining room!

We actually ordered a dessert that wasn't listed on the menu and it was brought to us without hesitation. We also took our dessert back to our stateroom to eat while watching a movie. There wasn't a problem with that either.

While I wouldn't eat in the casual dining area every night, it was great to have the option and we really enjoyed it.

Questions about your Alaska cruise.

1) Were there guest lecturers on board? What were their topics?

2) When the park ranger came on board for the glacier viewing, were you able to hear him well? On Summit it was most difficult.

3) Do they open the helioport for viewing at the glacier? Is there just a special, usually closed only for crew, forward on the promenade deck? That's where it was on Summit. Don't know about Mercury. Please advise.

4) On the inside passage days at sea could you see land on both sides, or did the captain go around W of Vancouver island?

5) Since it was cold outside was there still a band at the pool? My recollection from Summit was that when we got cold and saught shelter and coffee, and were getting out of the wind on the pool deck, there was some music interfering with hearing the park ranger, but it may have just been piped in.

I guess one of the reasons I ask #5 is that we are deciding between sky deck and penthouse deck for our cabin. We stayed on deck 12 on Century, 1201 right at the head of the stairs, and you could certainly hear the music from the deck below when you were on the balcony, but I don't guess it interfered with sleeping. Anyone who has any input about that choice, please advise.

6) Deck plans of the aft pool look to me as if there are not hot tubs there. Would you corroborate or deny this? ha

Thanks

Questions about your Alaska cruise.

1) Were there guest lecturers on board? What were their topics?

There was a forensic geologist on board. He talked about glacier development, history of the land we sailed through and a bit about the marine life.

2) When the park ranger came on board for the glacier viewing, were you able to hear him well? On Summit it was most difficult.

We didn't have a park ranger come on board. We had the same forensic geologist talk about the glacier. He was impossible to understand on outer decks. He spoke softly and too rapidly, without compensating for the sound bouncing off the ship and the land. We called the Cruise Director and let them know about the problem. They did apparently talk to him about it, because for 3 sentences, he was much slower and did enunciate. Then he went back to mumbling.

3) Do they open the helioport for viewing at the glacier? Is there just a special, usually closed only for crew, forward on the promenade deck? That's where it was on Summit. Don't know about Mercury. Please advise.

A space on deck 11, just forward of the spa and above the bridge was open for pax during viewing at the glacier. The area on the promenade deck was for crew only. Several crew from the spa were out there in shorts!

4) On the inside passage days at sea could you see land on both sides, or did the captain go around W of Vancouver island?

The ship sailed through the straights, so there was land on both sides. However, we either sailed through the inside passage at night or it was rainy/foggy so we didn't get to see much land. The few times that it was daylight and sunny, the inside passage was incredibly beautiful.

5) Since it was cold outside was there still a band at the pool? My recollection from Summit was that when we got cold and saught shelter and coffee, and were getting out of the wind on the pool deck, there was some music interfering with hearing the park ranger, but it may have just been piped in.

No band or music at the pool. We had a SS and it was very quiet and totally wonderful.

6) Deck plans of the aft pool look to me as if there are not hot tubs there. Would you corroborate or deny this? ha

I honestly don't remember if there was a hot tub at the aft pool. I don't think there was, but I didn't pay much attention to the pool there. We just stopped by to get pizza occasionally. No one swam in that pool all week, which surprised me.

Have a great cruise!

Hi berryhappy24

Thought I would pop in and say Hi from Tamicourt alias Peter & Christine Newton. Don't know if you remember the name as we all only met the once at the CC party back on the Millie on the June 30th European cruise/ docked holiday. I see you are going to Alaska. Good to see!!:D We are also going to Alaksa - Hubby wanted to go in June but my work commitments did not allow it so we are us booked on September 19th ultimate Alaskan Cruise and we are going on the infinity. Anyways thought I would say hi and wish both of you a fantastic cruise and hope all goes well for you. Don't forget to review. I will watch out for it.

Cya

Christine & Peter

Yes, we're using our FCC to give Celebrity another try. We're even meeting tablemates that we met on the Millie on this next cruise. I guess good things do come out of strange situations...not to mention a free cruise. I hope you enjoy the cruise. I'll let you know how ours goes.

We have sailed Mercury 3 times. We sailed to Alaska last May & were in 1202. I loved that room so much we booked it again for our October 08 cruise. We've always had a fabulous time on the Mercury. I think She is a very classy ship.

I wanted to book her again, but DH said why don't we try another ship. (My theory is if it's not broke don't fix it) but I figured we will give it a shot So we have booked the Rhapsody of the Seas for Sept 09, Hope she comes close to being as great as the Mercury.

I was just reading my 2008 complete guide to Cruising and Cruise ships, and it states that " Celebrity ships are best suited to well educated more sophisticated adult couples(both young and not so young) Families with older children and teenagers, and singles who like to mingle in a large ship setting with sophisticatd surroundings" :)

Hi Lois R: I met you at the CC party on the Mercury October 08 cruise. See were both going to Alaska in 09. Happy Sailing

We have sailed Mercury 3 times. We sailed to Alaska last May & were in 1202. I loved that room so much we booked it again for our October 08 cruise. We've always had a fabulous time on the Mercury. I think She is a very classy ship.

I wanted to book her again, but DH said why don't we try another ship. (My theory is if it's not broke don't fix it) but I figured we will give it a shot So we have booked the Rhapsody of the Seas for Sept 09, Hope she comes close to being as great as the Mercury.

I was just reading my 2008 complete guide to Cruising and Cruise ships, and it states that " Celebrity ships are best suited to well educated more sophisticated adult couples(both young and not so young) Families with older children and teenagers, and singles who like to mingle in a large ship setting with sophisticatd surroundings" :)

Hi Lois R: I met you at the CC party on the Mercury October 08 cruise. See were both going to Alaska in 09. Happy Sailing

Hi, I think you meant Oct 2007:)...How are you?

Actually, I have no plans for Alaska 2009;)...but I am going

this coming September.:D

Ooops Yes I did mean 2007. Wish I did have a cruise booked in October of 2008. You will have to let me know how your trip goes. I will keep an eye on this thread. Since we went to Alaska in May last time (Which the weather was great) I am really excited to see how it will be in September. Hope all is well with you.

Have a great week. Pam

Did they have the chocolate buffet late one night.

They sure did! It was held in the Navigator lounge, oddly enough at the same time that they had a "White Party". The combination of white clothes, lots and lots of chocolate and rocky seas, made for a dangerous combination!

They had all sorts of chocolate: cakes, tortes, cookies, pudding..even a chocolate fountain in which they dipped fruit skewers and cheesecake. Chocolate heaven. :D

My feeling is that once he is seated, most people will not even know that your husband is not wearing a suit. Technically, he will be underdressed, but at least he will be showing the kind of effort and consideration for the spirit of the evening that I don't think that most people will object.

On my last cruise, 80% of the men on Formal Nights wore a tux. It was wonderful to see so many men dress up. There were also a surprising number of men wearing kilts! That was great! Otherwise, men wore a suit and tie.

Iggypolka,

3 more questions.

When were the seas rough, after what port or a sea day?

Did either of you go to the acupuncturist, or attend a seminar? Expensive?

Was there a hair dryer in the T-pool dressing room area? (and shampoo)

I've decided to get a cabin near the forward elevator so we can zip up there without elevator waits, wash our hair and zip back to the cabin without walking thru any public area other than the elevator (and we really don't have to take the elevator. We can walk down 2 decks to the Penthouse Deck instead of waiting for an elevator.

Originally I was going to get a cabin near yours for the convenience of zipping down to get a coffee or bite to eat, but have decided that if we had to walk the length of the ship to go to the Tpool we might not do so, time wise!

Thank for all your information. Have you posted the full review yet? I am interested in the menus!!

Archived