Books about Cruises?

SanNic44

Actually, I don't rely on books for ship's reviews; they are quickly outdated by the time you buy them. I look for online reviews from a variety of sources (including CC). I do the same thing with many destinations....go to several websites for a balanced view.

Check out amazon or your local large book store. Berlitz has one that ranks all the ships but doesn't talk about itineraries. There are a couple of writers that do specific areas of cruises and tcover the ports and recommended excursions. One writer is Kay Shower. IFrommers has one too. Your best bet is to find an area specific book when looking at itieneraries and ports.

And YES..make sure you look at the most recent printing. Looking at a 2006 book will leave you in the dark re the newest ships.

Iv found the best info online. As someone else said you will be reading a book talking about how great Ecstasy was when it came out like I did when I first started to cruise. It takes a while to write and get the book out.

Since this is my first cruise I need alll the help I can get these books were a great help along with this website all my questions have been answered.

Insight Guides; Mediterranean Cruises [or anywhere else you care to go]

The Unofficial Guide to Cruises [this is all about the differant cruise lines]

Eye Witness Travel; Cruise Guide to Europe and the Mediterranean

Good Luck,

I keep a Berlitz and a Frommers closeby, neither older than 2 years.

While the info can be a bit outdated they still are fantastic sources of information that complement each other well I think. I like reading about all the other ships out there even if I know I'll never sail them as well as those of other cruise lines we normally don't hear anything about.

Just like newspapers, it's nice sometimes to actually read a book instead of everything online.

I have "Cruise Vacations for Dummies" and Frommer's "Caribbean Ports of Call". They help with basic information that I might not have picked up on line and on message boards, but I do trust the reviews I've read here, especially on ports of call and private tour operators.

Good luck. Have fun!

Archived