Trivia ??

Aussie One

On Carnival, they have t.v. theme trivia, where they play the 1st half a minute or so of the theme, you write down your answer on a piece of paper they provide, and the 1 that gets the most right wins. You score your own paper. They also have 70's or 80's trivia, sports trivia, sound clip trivia, movie quote trivia, general knowledge trivia, etc. Lots of different kinds, and they take place in lots of different areas of the ship, you just have to look in your capers everyday to see what's scheduled where.

On cruise ships, they frequently have trivia games. Often, they let passengers form teams. Then they ask questions that require some knowledge to answer. They usually involve history, geography, arts, sports, etc.

There's all sorts of variations. Our favorite was "Super Trivia" on Carnival Valor, which combined teams being given trivia questions with rolling a die to determine points, held over three days. You could do really well answering questions, but roll really lousy points - which kept the game close right to the end of the third day. Our youngest son really liked being the designated die roller - he was pretty good at it, and we came in second for the cruise.:)

• Administrators

To the OP, here's what Wikipedia has to say about trivia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Handling_trivia

In general (in this context) it means obscure information which is not generally known, or which at one time WAS generally known, but it's been a lot of years and now it's not. The questions are designed to elicit this information and reward those who know it. Think Jeopardy for teams. :) We play in a local trivia league every Wed. night, so it's part of our normal recreation. Possible categories: music, movies, tv, popular culture, geography, history, literature, sports, etc.

Personally, I think most real trivia purists prefer games with NO factor of random chance. Either you know the answer, or you don't. No multiple choice questions, dice spins, etc. Others vary in that opinion, and think it's great that a final round 20 point multiple choice question can completely negate the points lead a team relying on knowledge rather than luck amassed during the 2 hours before that final question. We like trivia games which give rewards based on knowledge, and like visiting Las Vegas for rewards based on luck. ;)

Thank you everybody i get it now.

Is this Trivia ? Was the metric system passed through Congress to be used in the. United States of America. no cheating by using google. i am a Aussie and know the anser have a G/day

The answer to your question is NO, the United States uses the Imperial or English system of measurement. And I would venture a guess that if this were to change, it would be by Executive order and not require an Act of Congress.

(You're getting the hang of this trivia thing!)

On RCL in February, my awesome team won the ship-wide trivia contest; we each won a pack of all the "junky" items RCL puts out AND gold medals on nice blue ribbons worn around the neck. We were thrilled--it was a big deal for us, because we aren't gamblers or drinkers, and go to bed so early that we missed all the other ship board fun.

Lou-Ann

The answer to your question is NO, the United States uses the Imperial or English system of measurement. And I would venture a guess that if this were to change, it would be by Executive order and not require an Act of Congress.

(You're getting the hang of this trivia thing!)

I win it went through Congress in the 1930ts Rosaveldt was President

but for some reason it was never implicated. the USA measurement

1s differant to the imperial. 15 ounces to the pint. against 20 ounces to the pint. so you are getting ripped off when you buy a gallon of gas.

thank you for your reply. yes i am looking forward to playing trivia on my cruise in June. have a G/Day

I win it went through Congress in the 1930ts Rosaveldt was President

but for some reason it was never implicated. the USA measurement

1s differant to the imperial. 15 ounces to the pint. against 20 ounces to the pint. so you are getting ripped off when you buy a gallon of gas.

thank you for your reply. yes i am looking forward to playing trivia on my cruise in June. have a G/Day

Actually, Grumphy, in the US we have 16 ounces to the pint, not 15. And no, we are not getting ripped off when we buy a gallon of gas because our pint has fewer ounces than the imperial measure. I'm sure the prices are adjusted accordingly.

Besides, don't you measure your gasoline in liters (not pints or gallons) down under?

Actually, Grumphy, in the US we have 16 ounces to the pint, not 15. And no, we are not getting ripped off when we buy a gallon of gas because our pint has fewer ounces than the imperial measure. I'm sure the prices are adjusted accordingly.

Besides, don't you measure your gasoline in liters (not pints or gallons) down under?

true but i was quoting in inperial.

What exactly is a ship on a stick?? We won the 70s Disco trivia game on our last RCCL cruise and each got a nice ink pen for our troubles ...whatever a ship on a stick is, it sounds like a better prize!!! :)

Well mine is a miniature trophy replica of the ship, with it's name on the bottom. Ship is in gold and the base is black.

There were a few trivia games played by teams on my sailing to ANZ back in January 2004.

Our team won because I knew the answer to this:

By what name is Barbara Millicent Roberts better known?

And no, it's not Barbara Bush. Hint, this is a fictional character.

We each got a nice Princess photo album.

T

• Administrators
The answer is Barbie.

Fairly easy question as far as Trivia goes.

Yes, I agree. Toughest one (at least the one I had to rack my brain hardest for, as the event happened when I was five years old) was "What Queens, NY 1964 murder victim screamed for help as her neighbors ignored her pleas?" The key to the question was the year (nowadays the answer might be "all of them?"), but the 1964 case was the first time "not getting involved" generated national attention.

Our team won $75 when I dredged the answer to that one out of my memory banks. The point in mentioning it was just that the difficulty level of trivia varies considerably (and on a cruise ship it's often much more along the lines of the Barbie question above than the Kitty Genovese question) -- but it's all good and mostly just for fun. :)

PS, I edited to add a bit and make it clear that I'm not trying to turn this into a Floataway Lounge thread -- as I added above, the answer in the one I mentioned is Kitty Genovese -- http://www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-history-hs818a,0,7944135.story

Also, to the OP regarding the metric question, I actually remember that in 1973 or so the United States was supposed to "switch to metric" on one particular day. As near as I can figure out, even though the schools had taught it and we students were ready, overall the national reaction was "um, no, it's too hard and we don't want to" and it never took hold. :)

The 'Barbie' answer wasn't that easy to come by on my cruise. Out of approximately 35 people playing, I was the only one who knew the answer. My teammates didn't want to submit that as an answer, I had to practically bribe them in order to do so.

T

• Administrators
The 'Barbie' answer wasn't that easy to come by on my cruise. Out of approximately 35 people playing, I was the only one who knew the answer. My teammates didn't want to submit that as an answer, I had to practically bribe them in order to do so.

T

Wow! So you practically had to pay your teammates in order to win a ship on a stick? :) I wonder what the exchange rate is for bribes versus ships on sticks? ;) I didn't meant to imply that the "Barbie" thing was "common knowledge" -- it's not. Congrats on having the right answer, and I assume that you (like me) sometimes are outvoted by your teammates on what proves to be the correct answer, so you just order another beer and say "no problem, it happens?" :D

(See above for disclaimer, I play in fairly cutthroat trivia leagues/games, but I still hold on to it's for FUN and I take it seriously only when luck plays as much of a role as knowledge -- that's not the Barbie question).

Archived