Five common ticketing errors -- and how to avoid them

jimc_usa

From Christopher Elliot at CNN

In a business where slip-ups are almost as common as surcharges, the wrong-name-on-my-ticket error is a standout. You don't have to look far for ticketing mistakes in an age of do-it-yourself booking. Take it from me: not only do I write the Travel Troubleshooter column, a question-and-answer feature that helps people solve real-world problems, but I'm also an expert on errors.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/traveltips/05/15/ticketing.errors/index.html?eref=rss_travel

Interesting!

In the strange world I live in, months have NAMES!

Remember that? -when months had names? -not numbers?

Remember when it was January, February, March?

Can you even spell them correctly? :)

I'm not talking about Jan., Feb., or Mar.

far less the idiotic 01 or 03 'months' (whatever they are)

I'm talking about taking the time (you have it) to spell out the whole long word September.

I do it very deliberately these days..spell out the entire, ever-so-long name of the month!

Mainly because there simply is no month by the name of 06 -or 11- for that matter! ;)

remember when we had time? - to get things right?

Thanks for the pointer to an interesting article.

I intend to be even more of an annoying nit-picker,now!!:):)

My husband is a Jr and often has trouble with the auto check ins. His name is listed as JR on his passport and on the ticket too. It was explained to us on a recent trip, that the punctuation on the ticket also has to be exactly the same as that on the passport.

Interesting!

In the strange world I live in, months have NAMES!

Remember that? -when months had names? -not numbers?

Using month names or abbreviations are a problem for webpage designers. Month numbers are the same worldwide, named months are not. Although most speakers of European-rooted languages can figure it out, that excludes most of the world's population.

Using month numbers does cause another problem....Non-US websites often use a DD/MM/YY format while US websites use MM/DD/YY. If you're booking on a website that's in a different country than your own, check for this extra carefully. It's always good to have another person review your entries before you hit the "buy" button. Most of us are bad at finding our own errors.

Archived