When do they start making move over offers?

cs

We're sailing on CB on June 4th. We're kind of flexible with our vacation time and would be open to hearing a move over offer. I mentioned that to our travel agent already.

Since our ship has be sold out for some time now, I'm thinking that they may be making offers soon. What's the usual time frame for doing that? 2 weeks ahead of sailing? 2 days?

Thanks

We're sailing on CB on June 4th. We're kind of flexible with our vacation time and would be open to hearing a move over offer. I mentioned that to our travel agent already.

Since our ship has be sold out for some time now, I'm thinking that they may be making offers soon. What's the usual time frame for doing that? 2 weeks ahead of sailing? 2 days?

Thanks

As needed. The ship may say it is sold out, but there may be some Travel Agencies that still have rooms available. In addition, it depends on the room category. Some are on higher demand than others.

My own experience, plus what I have read on the boards is that move over offers can start as soon as final payment shows whether their cancellation estimates were accurate, but pick up two weeks to ten days before sailing. Additionally, move offers are done on a rolling basis. If they are only oversold by a dozen offers, they will only make a dozen initial calls, to see who bites, then move on down the line to free up the cateogories they need. Like the upgrades, its just not possible to predict with any degree of certainty whether you will get them. I'm not aware of any way to volunteer (like with airlines), but you could have your travel agent call and inquire, but it's my guess whoever answers the phone on such a call won't be the person who has authority to address it.

In 27 Princess cruises, many that were completely sold out, I have never had a move over offer. I know it happens, but so far not to me. I doubt that I would be able to take advantage of it anyway. Too much planning for time off, etc.

As others have pointed out, whether any "move over" offers are even made (and if so their timing and number) is a dynamic that varies by sailing.

That stated, I would assume that if such offers occur they're a few weeks after final payment date, as soon as any unsold block space or cabins being held by last minute "dropouts" (people who have ressies who bail out right before final payment) have been offered to and accepted by people at the front of the wait lists. Given how close you are to sailing, that time came and went months ago, so I wouldn't hold out hopes. Even given pedropuppy's point, how many people on wait lists (the ones Princess is trying to make space for) are flexible enough to -- on only only a few days notice -- disappear from job/family/community obligations/whatever for nine days?!?

Also, your cruise sails before school sessions end in the core Northeastern market area, so I frankly doubt there was a massive level of unmet demand for your particular sailing. The summer '08 CB cruises that may face that are going to be the late June to end of July ones. That's the prime school vacation and perceived "lower hurricane risk" time.

We got an offer on our Alaska trip from last year but could not take it. It was 2 days before we were to leave and a northbound itin vs southbound. We declined...

A friend of mine at work, who was a first time cruiser, did a move over last (one week later) year to Alaska (HAL). For his troubles he and his wife were upgraded from a non balcony outside cabin to a deluxe verandah suite......I should be so lucky.............

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I'm still intrigued about the "other side" of this equation, the people on waits lists who Princess is trying to get space for. Are there actually scores of such parties out there for any given cruise who are able and willing to wait until only a few days before embarkation to know whether they are going? I'd love to meet some of these people -- particulary those with demanding jobs and kids -- so I could get some insight into how to have that amount of schedule flexibility:rolleyes: .

I'm also curious to hear what move over offers might be made and if they are negotiable. Has anyone gotten any really good offers? (a Suite upgrade would be good enough though:D )

We got what some might think was a great offer on our cruise to Alaska last summer. I did not mention specifics in my previous post but...

We had B503 (hump mini suite), a 3-day land tour with 7-day southbound cruise in July 2007.

Their offer was to cruise in August on a northound itin with land tour after in a full suite and a huge OBC that we could have taken in cash if we did not spend it all (seems like it was around $2000).

It may sound crazy but we did not take it as we could not re-arrange work or air and we absolutely did not want to do the northbound itin with land tour after. Financially it was a good deal but not what we envisioned for our trip to Alaska.

Now on one of our Panama Canal Cruises we got an offer about 3 months ahead of time which we did take...we received the same cabin category - one day longer cruise AND $1500 credit card credit. With that notice we were able to take advantage of it.

I'm also curious to hear what move over offers might be made and if they are negotiable. Has anyone gotten any really good offers? (a Suite upgrade would be good enough though:D )

We were booked on the 4/25 full transit Panama Canal on the Coral. 3 days before were were offered a free cruise, our present cruise refunded as OBC on the next cruise and an upgrade to a mini from a balcony but we would have to postpone until October for the deal. Unfortunately, we were traveling with friends and family for a total of 17 and I didn't want to miss out on that! It was too hard to get everyone together.

There was a similar thread on this last week or the week before.

We've had 2 move-over offers. One with HAL, one with Princess. In both cases, we took them up on them; they were too good to pass up. HAL called me about 2 days prior to departure, whereas I had heard that Princess was over-booked on our sailing, so I called them 3 days before departure. I was put through to their inventory dept. & we discussed the offer then. I didn't push them because what they offered seemed more than fair to me. (I'm not greedy. lol)

As far as I know, you cannot be put on a move-over list. A lot of times, they won't even discuss it with you or will act like they know nothing about it. Not all sailings have this happen, so you really have to know how the inventory is moving on your particular sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

We just accepted a move over offer on our Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. Our dates were flexible, and as our date approached things got crazy for my DH at work. I called Princess directly, knowing that the ship was sold out and waitlist only. The person in charge of that department called me back in an hour or so. It was 6 days out from our departure.

They already had an offer, which was VERY generous, and I called back and accepted shortly after. I think that it helps if they know you are interested, and the offer is the offer. We were moved to a 2 week Alaska cruise (4800 pp in our category as opposed to 1500 pp) and given significant OBC, plus changes in air which was a bunch more in cash. And, now I think we are going to change our dates again!

The bottom line is, this seems to work for them, and they must just keep sweetening the deal until enough people accept the offer.

I say go for it, be proactive because unless you let them know, they just start on the list somewhere.

good luck, and get paid for your flexibility! K

We just accepted a move over offer on our Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. Our dates were flexible, and as our date approached things got crazy for my DH at work. I called Princess directly, knowing that the ship was sold out and waitlist only. The person in charge of that department called me back in an hour or so. It was 6 days out from our departure.

They already had an offer, which was VERY generous, and I called back and accepted shortly after. I think that it helps if they know you are interested, and the offer is the offer. We were moved to a 2 week Alaska cruise (4800 pp in our category as opposed to 1500 pp) and given significant OBC, plus changes in air which was a bunch more in cash. And, now I think we are going to change our dates again!

The bottom line is, this seems to work for them, and they must just keep sweetening the deal until enough people accept the offer.

I say go for it, be proactive because unless you let them know, they just start on the list somewhere.

good luck, and get paid for your flexibility! K

Thanks so much. Who did you call? Did you talk to a CSR or did you ask for a specific department?

I may just call tomorrow since today's a holiday.

I'm still intrigued about the "other side" of this equation, the people on waits lists who Princess is trying to get space for. Are there actually scores of such parties out there for any given cruise who are able and willing to wait until only a few days before embarkation to know whether they are going? I'd love to meet some of these people -- particulary those with demanding jobs and kids -- so I could get some insight into how to have that amount of schedule flexibility:rolleyes: .

Me too - especially with the already purchased (expensive) airline ticket.

Sounds like you get a lot of perks with it though :)

I would doubt they would make moveover offers to accomodate those on the waitlist as those people have not been guaranteed a cabin on that particular cruise. I suspect the moveover offers are made to accomodate those who booked a guarantee rather than a specific cabin. The word "guarantee" says it all... anyone booking a guarantee cabin is guaranteed to get a cabin, so the cruiseline must make moveover offers in order to accomodate these people. It would not make financial sense for a cruiseline to make an offer that is greater than the value of a stateroom that is already sold just so they can book someone else (who is not previously guaranteed to be on the cruise) at the regular going rate for that cabin.

We have a BB cat on a holiday cruise over December 25. Does anyone know if BB cats ever get offered a moveover? We fly SW Rapid Rewards so our flights are flexible. Also...it might pay to not make advance hotel reservations for our precruise 1 night stay.

Archived