Son would like to take a friend

Pugs

I have two cabin, my two son's were to be in one, however older son can not make it, by the way my cabins are side by side. Son would like to take a friend. Both are 16 , now what do I need , friends passport, and what? I need to also change the name. How hard is all of this? What does friends mom need to give me as far as docs. ?

First, check with the cruiseline. Most allow you to put two teens of your own into a separate cabin, but with a non-related teen they sometimes ask you to book that teen into the same cabin as an adult. Actual sleeping arrangements can be changed onboard.

Secondly, you will probably have to pay a name change fee as you are after final payment. It's about $50, and your TA can take care of it. Make certain that you have the friend's legal name which you should verify with his passport.

If the friend has a passport, that is preferable. On your itinerary, he can also use a certified BC with a DL. Whichever it is, be sure to look at it yourself, and soon, to verify it is both a valid document and unexpired. You DON'T want the kid to show up the day of the cruise with a hospital memento certificate.

Last, but perhaps most importantly, you need a notarized letter from both of the boy's parents giving you permission to take him on the cruise AND to provide medical care if it were needed. Sample letters are on the internet, and also on this board under the Family Cruising forum.

Do understand that you will be held responsible for his behavior; there are a few rare but real horror stories of parents inviting their kid's friend along only to discover they really did not know the friend as well as they thought they did. Some serious sit down with the friend's parents would be in order to make sure you are all on the same page as far as expectations of behavior. Include medical insurance coverage in that discussion.

First, check with the cruiseline. Most allow you to put two teens of your own into a separate cabin, but with a non-related teen they sometimes ask you to book that teen into the same cabin as an adult. Actual sleeping arrangements can be changed onboard.

Secondly, you will probably have to pay a name change fee as you are after final payment. It's about $50, and your TA can take care of it. Make certain that you have the friend's legal name which you should verify with his passport.

If the friend has a passport, that is preferable. On your itinerary, he can also use a certified BC with a DL. Whichever it is, be sure to look at it yourself, and soon, to verify it is both a valid document and unexpired. You DON'T want the kid to show up the day of the cruise with a hospital memento certificate.

Last, but perhaps most importantly, you need a notarized letter from both of the boy's parents giving you permission to take him on the cruise AND to provide medical care if it were needed. Sample letters are on the internet, and also on this board under the Family Cruising forum.

Do understand that you will be held responsible for his behavior; there are a few rare but real horror stories of parents inviting their kid's friend along only to discover they really did not know the friend as well as they thought they did. Some serious sit down with the friend's parents would be in order to make sure you are all on the same page as far as expectations of behavior. Include medical insurance coverage in that discussion.

Cheryl's advice is right on and covers just about everything you need. Two things however, if the boy is 16 and he does not have a passport, he will need a picture idea mostly for the airlines. Second, strong emphasis on Cherlys comment about permission letter from BOTH parents even if they are divorced or whatever. This is generally a requirement by foreign countries to prevent child abductions..

All of the stuff above is very important and I will suggest one more thing. I don't care how well you know the boy or parents, have them sign a contract of sorts that lets them (parents and child) that if for any reason the child does something that would get him removed from the ship (medical or behavoral) that the parents would be required to pay for it. I know this sounds harsh, but it can be very expensive to fly back home or to get medically evaced if something should happen. It hopefully would never happen, but this board is full of stories about how it did happen. It you know the parents well, it should not be a big issue. My parents made my brothers and their friends all sign a contract like this when they were about the same age. It's amazing how wild, normally well behaved, boys could get. At this age, on a ship, they are given a lot of lattitude and are not as well watched by counselors, if at all, and even dutiful parents can't watch their every move. Not trying to scare you, but my 16 year old brother and his friend had an entire bathtub full of beer by the end of the cruise. Funny at the time, but scary if you think about it.

there is a recent thread about a parent who took their son's friend (about 18 or so) with them and they thought they knew the kid well... turned out said friend did not bother to take his ADD/ADHD medecine and got the whole family kicked off the ship (with the huge expense of having to find transport back home from a foreign port of call.)

when discussing with the friend's parents I would DEFINITELY discuss any meds, behavioral issues, allergies, etc.

Teens do tend to run amok on ships as it is a 'safe' environment. A contract that spells out expected behavior (YOU WILL go to dinner with us, you will leave us messages regarding your whereabouts, you will be in by XX curfew) with consquences would be very wise.

there is a recent thread about a parent who took their son's friend (about 18 or so) with them and they thought they knew the kid well... turned out said friend did not bother to take his ADD/ADHD medecine and got the whole family kicked off the ship (with the huge expense of having to find transport back home from a foreign port of call.)

when discussing with the friend's parents I would DEFINITELY discuss any meds, behavioral issues, allergies, etc.

Teens do tend to run amok on ships as it is a 'safe' environment. A contract that spells out expected behavior (YOU WILL go to dinner with us, you will leave us messages regarding your whereabouts, you will be in by XX curfew) with consquences would be very wise.

I agree with everything here...one sugguestion you really need to find the thread with the story above there is so much more you need to be aware of and prepared for when you have someone else's child.

Call the cruise line to find out what paperwork you will need to bring the friend. Some cruise lines have their own form that has to be completed by the child and parents for you to take the child.

The child should also have his own passport (as should anyone cruising from the U.S.) in case anything happens and you have to fly home from a foreign port.

I agree with everything here...one sugguestion you really need to find the thread with the story above there is so much more you need to be aware of and prepared for when you have someone else's child.

I just killed a half hour and found the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13685248#post13685248

As you follow along in that thread, there are questions to and answers from that poster.

However, check out this thread, Post #12: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=761498

This gives a good example on how well it can work out.

Archived