MY GOSH - Horrible Price Increases

Just went visiting RCL's website today and the price increases are astronomical since yesterday. Most of the 7 day - especially during hurricane season - have jumped almost $300/pp!

Glad I booked early!

Prices generally reflect the law of supply and demand. If the prices have risen dramatically, that usually indicates that the cruises in question are selling very well. If sales drop or begin to lag, the prices will be adjusted downward. If not, expect to see even higher prices as the sailing dates get closer. If you think that the prices are high, it may indicate that impacts from our current recession are not having the effect on cruise travel that some have predicted. Of course prices are increasing across the board in almost every sector of the economy,so they also are a reflection of the times we live in. Keep an eye out for bargains but be prepared to pay higher and higher prices for just about everything until someone straightens out this economy.:rolleyes:

I noticed whe booked an inside room on Grandeur for the Canadian cruise out of Baltimore in September and that was last August for this September cruise, the rate has increased $271 so far for same type room on same floor now. Glad I always book early, you can always call RC or travel agent if price drops and get them to chang ethe price to the newest price. We did that on our last Caribbean cruise. Price dropped twice to almost $250 less than when we booked. they gave it back to us. this was before finaly payment was due. After that, you usually dont get a price change.

I noticed this myself. I have always booked a bargain, however not now, I'm even looking 2009 and some 2010. Prices are going through the roof. Only time will tell, I don't feel they should raise the prices, taxes and fuel charge all in one. I have 3 cruises booked now, but this was before the fuel charge and high prices, infact one cruise I booked last year and I'm traveling this year is up over $475.00 pp and the cruise is in Nov.

Cruise lines raising their prices like this may also backfire. I spend alot of money on the ship, I would think they would just want to get the person on the ship and then make prices a bit higher(they may do this anyway). Like I said only time will tell.

Dorene

Prices generally reflect the law of supply and demand. If the prices have risen dramatically, that usually indicates that the cruises in question are selling very well. If sales drop or begin to lag, the prices will be adjusted downward. If not, expect to see even higher prices as the sailing dates get closer. If you think that the prices are high, it may indicate that impacts from our current recession are not having the effect on cruise travel that some have predicted. Of course prices are increasing across the board in almost every sector of the economy,so they also are a reflection of the times we live in. Keep an eye out for bargains but be prepared to pay higher and higher prices for just about everything until someone straightens out this economy.:rolleyes:

Actually (and I haven't checked prices like the OP) I think it is reflective of an increase in operating costs, nothing more, nothing less. RC actually revised downward their forward looking statement. I suspect bookings after summer will be soft, but costs are skyrocketing..........and it isn't just fuel for which there is already a fuel supplement........

The cost of fuel however is affecting everything...........food, airline tickets (price them lately?), steel, plastic, you name it and the cost of fuel and transportation costs drive everything up.

This isn't just supply and demand..........it is costs, costs, costs and more costs.........and guess who is going to pay the bill:rolleyes: (no pun intended Bill)

and the impact to the consumer usually takes 6 months or more ..........to kick in.........

I just checked our bookings. One has gone up $245 pp and the other $233. Everything is going up in price. Guess we shouldn't be surprised when our cruises do as well. Makes me wish we had booked our future cruise last week!

We did that on our last Caribbean cruise. Price dropped twice to almost $250 less than when we booked. they gave it back to us. this was before finaly payment was due. After that, you usually dont get a price change.

You'd be surprised... my last two cruises... I've gotten money back within a week of sailing because the price came down... it pays to keep checking right up until you sail...:)

Also, with the devaluation in the US dollar and the cruise industry an international market, we are and will see price increases due to the dropping of the US dollar. With the Euro dollar and Asian market doing so well, people I have spoken to on the cruise and emails, their money is worth more to RCCL that the US dollar as we are now in a global market.

Dave

We have been planning on booking a cruise on Adventure of The Seas since our last cruise in March. The price then for a balcony was $849pp. We decided to wait until our Freedom cruise in June since that cruise would make us platinum C&A and entitle us to a $100 discount. We watched the price go up to $1369 last week. We decided to book during the WOW (not so wow) sale last week. We ended up with junior suites since we couldn't get balconies where we wanted at $1329. I can just image what the prices for balconies will be by the end of June since in two months the price jumped $520. Sure wish we had booked when we first looked into it - didn't realize at the time that once you became platinum you could just call and get the discount. Live and learn.

I think May 13th's WOW sale had a lot to do with higher prices since then. There were a lot of cruises booked that day. I know, because I booked two! The price for the same cabin category I booked was $100/pp higher the next day, and that was for an inside cabin.

it doesnt look like the prices on ours have changed much. We booked Rhapsody back in Oct and the price now is only $60 more than what we booked for...I think maybe OP was looking at specific cruises...the prices have not been raised across the board

You'd be surprised... my last two cruises... I've gotten money back within a week of sailing because the price came down... it pays to keep checking right up until you sail...:)

Wow, I did not know you could do it after final payment. Thanks for the info. Will keep an eye out in the future.

We ended up with junior suites since we couldn't get balconies where we wanted at $1329.

Back in 1988 we paid about that much per person and all we got was a regular inside stateroom. Oh! And a porthole! ;)

Sher

My Oct. '08 cruise on Adventure has not gone up at all and my Voyager in Jan. 09 posted a residency rate last week which is still showing this week. With dropping the fuel surcharge (booked before Nov. 16 '07)on the AOS cruise at final payment, that will be one of our cheapest 7 day cruises yet, D1 balcony for $856 pp. Actually, I expect some rates to go down as the sail dates approach. I don't think the ships are going to sail as full as in the past 2-3 years. We will see. By the way, I got both a residency rate drop and a senior rate drop last year after final payment on Explorer to Bermuda. I check rates up till the day before I leave!

Back in 1988 we paid about that much per person and all we got was a regular inside stateroom. Oh! And a porthole! ;)

Sher

Yes! You're so right. In 1980 we paid more than that for an inside cabin! I laugh when I read complaints about the quality of food going down in recent years. (That food really cost us back then!) ;)

I recommend being proactive and check your cruise prices before your final payment is due. Traditionally, RCI starts low and then goes up in price whereas Princess starts high and really goes down. We are loyal to RCI but did a Princess cruise (last September) to Alaska with our Australian friends since they got a great deal out of Australia with air and all. Anyhow, our outside obstructed view cabin started at $1049 pp and went down to $649 per person. Each time I noticed a significant reduction I contacted the travel agency who obliged and adjusted our fares.

Janice

I would like to know if you check with your travel agent? My daughter and son in law were contacted by their travel agent and saved 250pp on a Thanksgiving cruise last year. I sail on Sunday on Mariner. Any advice?

Archived