NCL TV ad

kjwinston

I think I might be a little offended by the new NCL commercial making fun of the "old" people and the young people seating together in the Dinning area. Well I have to say there are some "young" people I would not lake to seat next too, the ones who are drunk, have bad manners, and swear every other word.

Why do they always make it sound like old people are lonely, and need company. I have been on many of cruise and are excited to hear the "old" stories of geting together, or wisdom of experience, etc. I find the "old" people very interesting. Why make fun of them.

Now, that I hit the 55+ group I still laugh with the younger ones, but able to hear what I went through with in my younger days. It is not the age, but, the conversation that is the enjoyable part of a dinner.

I guess NCL wants to be a party ship like Carnival....:o

• 4 weeks later...

While I'm no "spring chicken", I've found that most times, the older folks onboard are an awful lot of fun! Lots of experiences, and the time to keep having fun!

And lest younger folks get 'turned off' by our generation, we can party with the best of them!

I found that commercial to be very deceptive. It makes it seem as though you cannot change tables with traditional dining and the only way to get a table for 2 would be with their anytime dining. Experienced cruisers know this isn't true. It just left me with a bad taste for NCL.

• 2 months later...

NCL's unintended consequence of Freestyle ads that make it seem like a fate worse than death to eat at established times or (gasp!) sit with TOTAL STRANGERS is that they have positioned themselves in the market as the cruise line for unsophisticated and/or inexperienced travelers who are incapable of shipboard etiquette that has been in place since transatlantic travel began. Namely, that you should be friendly to your fellow passengers because you never know when you might end up in a lifeboat together. :D

As a result of the unpredictability of the Freestyle model, they set themselves up for complaints about long waits in line for dinner, inability to make dining reservations, and spotty food quality and service.

NCL's fans insist that if you go on a Freestyle cruise expecting nothing in the way of service, you'll always be pleasantly surprised. But that's not the attitude most people have when they shell out hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a cruise.

As a result, NCL crews get to take it on the chin every day. I saw it on Norwegian Majesty. I suspect if you asked the wait staff if they'd rather earn their own tips by working the same tables of guests each voyage, or receive a set portion of the pot for slinging food at a stream of strangers all week like it's a cafeteria, they'd pick the first option.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been on a number of cruise lines, the TV ads for NCL are quite laughable.

What you get in actuality is nowhere near what is shown. They still try to seat you with strangers, they don't happen to show that you may have to wait in a long line to be seated for dinner. And then there is the food. While I've not yet been on any cruise line where I'll rave about the food, they manage to serve the worst.

They also don't mention that you have to pay extra for specialty dining, which is what we ended up doing the last time we cruised NCL, every single night to get a decent meal.

But....all of the cruise lines show unrealistic cruises. Carnival shows a romantic moment dancing on an almost empty deck. RCI shows shore excursions that cost a fortune. Celebrity shows only the suite life.

I DVR almost everything I watch anymore, commercials are all deceiving.

A co-worker just did a NCL Freestyle cruise and the first thing she mentioned when she came back was that they had to wait a couple of nights more than 2 1/2 hours for a table. she said they ended up eating in the buffet more than they would have liked. She and her family really did not like the freestyle dinning at all. Word of mouth is either the best or worst advertising. In this case, it has made me rethink some future cruises.

Many people prefer "traditional" cruise dining, but Freestyle dining is the main reason my wife and I keep returning to NCL. We dine when we want and with whom we want. After a day onboard we might decide to eat early to make it to a couple of shows. If we've been on a tiring shore excursion we might take a nap before we cleanup for a late dinner. If we're feeling sociable we choose a shared table; if we're worn out after a full day we choose to dine alone. We normally don't plan ahead, frequently deciding as we walk down the hall which restaurant we're going to. And I don't ever pack a coat or tie.

A lot depends on the ship (large or small, new or old), the itinerary (an older demographic on a 2-week Mediterranean cruise than on a weekend cruise to Cozumel) and, most important your expectations. If you're used to eating at 5-star restaurants at home you will be disappointed in the main restaurants (true on most cruise lines), but there are optional specialty restaurants available at extra cost.

We don't do buffets. On our most recent European cruise on the NCL Jade we never ate at the buffet, eating all but one night at one of the included main restaurants. We found the food and service to be better than we're accustomed to in restaurants at home. We had waits of 15-20 minutes a couple of times, (longer on all-you-can-eat lobster night), but usually little or no wait.

Some people prefer more formality, some less. It's an individual choice.

Check the NCL board for very extensive discussions of "Freestyle" dining.

I found that commercial to be very deceptive. It makes it seem as though you cannot change tables with traditional dining and the only way to get a table for 2 would be with their anytime dining. Experienced cruisers know this isn't true. It just left me with a bad taste for NCL.
As far as I'm concerned, NCL is the "dollar store" of cruising ... and their offensive tv commercial proves that. Many of my friends who have sailed the line have referred to them as the "Walmart" of cruising, but I think that may be a stretch.

I've never sailed them, but have heard a lot of feedback from those who have ... very little of it good.

Blue skies ...

--rita

They also don't mention that you have to pay extra for specialty dining, which is what we ended up doing the last time we cruised NCL, every single night to get a decent meal.

And that's exactly what they wanted you to do. The cost of their cruises is generally less, but they make sure you pop for a lot more onboard than you would on another line with more heightened service and food.

Personally, I'll stick with Holland America. I might pay a bit more, but then I think I get a good value for my money there.

Blue skies ...

--rita

its just a tv commercial. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's just a tv commercial but one that is close, or for that matter rude. There is no need to put another cruise line down in order to build up one's own "advantages". Just advertise what you have but not at the expense of another.;)

I've sailed NCL and will be doing a b2b in about 2 weeks, but I do not like their commercials. I have never "marched " to dinner in a line with hordes of others, much less in a blue gown:p :D I've never seen everyone at the pool get up from their lounges at the same time either.

I know it may be meant "tongue in cheek" but there are many people who have never cruised who may actually believe the commercials and think they are regemented on all the other lines. I never felt I was not "free to do whatever" on other lines with the exception of a set didning time which for us was never a problem.

BTW, one much older couple we sat with were two of the most delightful dinner companions we've ever had unlike the couple our age at the same table who were total boors.

its just a tv commercial. :rolleyes:

and must be working from the people that are talking about it :D Lots of people complained about the last commercials too, but from what I understand they worked very well for NCL. Personally RCCL needs to start changing theirs to get more attention...you hear the beginning and don't watch the rest....I try not to get too worked up over commercials or tv shows....as the saying goes...don't sweat the small stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived