Who likes the singing waiters?

babywewe

I find it annoying.

Back in the day, the wait staff had one night for this type of thing. It was so nice....and a special treat. But, night after night, for me it's just noisy.

I do see a lot of kids liking it, though...and a lot of passengers too. So, I try to be through my meal and on my Roman espresso before the fun begins..... I can then just zone out finishing my wine, espresso and cheese plate.

While I'm sure some of the wait staff enjoy this nightly show, they have so very much work to do, so many tables to wait, so much to get done after dinner is over, I'm sure if they were permitted a vote, most would turn thumbs down.....HA!!

I love it, too. We were on another line and they had live piano and violin at dinner. It was nice and refined. But then we went on a Carnival cruise and the singing and dancing waiters were just so much fun, got everybody in a laughing, happy mood. I couldn't help myself, I got up and danced, too.

It's hokey, and fun, and it's a vacation. Please don't take it away from those that love it - including the children who usually find dinners very boring.

Di

Personally, I don't care as long as the waiters enjoy doing it.

However, if [B]they[/B] feel like it demeans them or their jobs in any way...then it should be done away with.

I am not saying they don't enjoy having fun doing it.....
But IF they don't, then that should be the deciding factor.

They should take away the singing waiters and devote more time to the red, white, and blue team wars. ;)

They actually brought the color thing up the first night of my last cruise and never mentioned it again for the rest of the cruise. Maybe Carnival is smartening up. I wouldn't mind if they cut the singing waiters thing down to 2 or 3 nights. Carnival does have a flair for cheese. If it's not the red, white, and blue thing, it's the singing waiters, the hairy chest contest, or something else.

I enjoy it and so do the grandkids. The waiters alway pull my granddaughter from her chair and get her to dance with them. She feels so special getting all that attention. Is is cheesy? Yes but so what. Its only for a few minutes after dinner has been served and I have never had my meal interrupted. I once was seated in a dining room on another cruiseline that was off to the side. It wasn't really part of the big dining room but looked as if they used it during the day for meetings. We could hear all of the merriment and laughter in the big dining room but we were never a part of it and really felt left out.

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Hummm... I've always thought it was a lot of fun... I can't remember a time when they didn't get a huge round of applause...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]Guess I'm hokey...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

:confused:[/quote]
Guess I am too.:cool:

[quote name='sixy-six']Guess I am too.:cool:[/QUOTE]
I'm hokey too...I love it! I can understand it drawing raised eyebrows by the Holland America or Princess folks....but this is Carnival...The funships! I think that's just what it is...FUN! Of course it's not grade A entertainment...It's just for fun! I'd really miss it if it were to go. :(

[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple]The one thing i remember from cruising with CCL long ago was the singing waiters. I think it's a highlight. I totally look forward to the waiters' entertainment, I mean we are traveling on "THE FUN SHIPS" aren't we. I would expect it to be a little off the wall. Besides, that little intermission between the meal and dessert is very much needed, wouldn't you say?:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='babywewe']I see people get very excited on this board about the singing waiters. Maybe I missed something... maybe at some point the waiters sang and danced more (and better)...

I just don't get it. I didn't find it entertaining. It was as hokey as a sweet 16 DJ. AND I felt bad for the waiters as they had tables to get to and things to do...[/quote
I think they are great ...I love the dancing. Keep it coming Carnival!

[quote name='rufustelestrat']Hope this works here is my dance: [IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g41/Rufustelestrat/PhotProjs/cid_84311201626042008-37C4.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Can I hope to see you dancing in our dining room on the Miracle? I'm not sure if your attire meets "elegant casual". But the dancing is quite superior.

I love it. On our very first cruise, DH (who did not think this cruising idea was a very good one) was appalled when my brother and SIL told him it was "showtime" when the lights started flashing. I guess he was expecting some sort of classical music, or opera-type singer. Obviously, that was not the case. On the night they did the conga line, he jumped up and joined in, and when he got back to our table, he was wearing a bread basket on his head and did a "spin move" for us. From that moment on, we were hooked. We twirl our napkins over our heads, join in on the songs, and do the conga lines.

One of the coolest things I've seen was last year on the Valor on July 4th. In addition to the pre-planned song, the entire wait staff sang "God Bless America." (Now, the funny part is that most of them had a piece of paper with the words on it. Given that I've never met a wait staff member who was born in the states, well, you get the picture.) The roar of applause and cheering when they finished was awesome. We'll be on the Legend this year on the 4th, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

[quote name='Travel Angel']The singing waiters are NOT a highlight of my dining experience thats for certain. I too feel sorry for those guys having to do that week after week....To me it really is unappealing and I actually think it should disappear from the regular routine. But, many like it I am sure.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it any better . . . . :p

I just replied to another's post but I did what to add that I really think the singing/dancing waiters might be nice for one night . . . either the first night or the last night (both are casual). It would let those that have never cruised before get a kick out of what is to come (the fun ahead for them on the "fun ship") or what they just experienced (the fun they had on the "fun ship"). It would also give those of us that cruise on Carnival often a break from having our dinner interrupted every evening by this "event."

I also feel so sorry for our waiters and waitresses having to do this twice a night/every night during their contract.

[quote name='ladycaveat']I also feel so sorry for our waiters and waitresses having to do this twice a night/every night during their contract.[/quote]

If you ask the waiters if they enjoy it or not, as we did ask several on our last cruise, you will get the same type of responses that you've seen here in this thread. Some really enjoy it and look forward to it, others don't mind either way, and then there are those that would rather live without it.

I flee the dining room as soon as possible to avoid the dancing waiters. It is so degrading and I feel sorry for them. I only had to watch it once on my 28 day Liberty cruise in 2006. It was the only exercise I got on sea days! :D :D

Archived