Who likes the singing waiters?

babywewe

I think that what people are reacting to is the fact that they are not seeing the dance routine for the first time. If you are on your 20th cruise, I could see how it could become boring. It stays entertaining for me because I think of all the first timmers who are probably having a blast, and find the song and dance to be a pleasant surprise.

I don't mind it, but I don't enjoy it. It doesn't bother me enough to rush through dinner just to miss it. I don't think it's degrading but I'm sure a lot of the staff feel the same way about the dancing as we do, some like it, some don't! There's some stuff about my job I don't like, too :D .

I remember watching a table of two young couples one night. One of the ladies was holding her video camera over her head so she could get a good shot of the song! She filmed the ENTIRE song, dance, whatever! I remember wondering who in the world was going to ever watch that video..lol! But, it was important to her and made her happy so, it's all good!

Donna

I like the singing waiters and so do my kids:)

I think the Traditional Seating at dinner is really a PLUS

as you get to know fellow cruisers on a more personal level

and your waiters get to know you ...your likes & dislikes

etc...

Our waiters did an excellent job entertaining us each night

and my kids looked forward to dressing up and going to dinner:eek:

YES THEY DID !!

I am afraid that if they go to OPEN dining we may lose some

of that personal touch :confused:

We have a group of us going this October and some of them are new Cruisers ...I hope they get to experience the Traditional Dining & the entertainment ... before it becomes part of history

If I could enjoy my dessert and coffee while they sing - I wouldn't mind, but that never seems to be the case and then I have to sit there for 15 mins while they do their little show. I have been tempted to get up in the middle and go to the buffet and have dessert. I won't be interupted there.

I would pay extra if they didn't do it. I think it is the cheesiest thing ever. It must be humiliating for the servers and I feel sorry for them.

I agree completely, it doesn't belong in the dining room when you are trying to have a nice meal. It takes away from the dining experience and you know the waiters don't have time for it.

I am not a fan of the singing and dancing waiters at all.

I liked it in the "ole days" when they all danced in single file with the flaming Baked Alaskan and Cherries Jubilee :), but the singing and dancing is hokey, they are about as interested as trained monkeys, and are without any singing or dancing talent, whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Just not the kind of activity I'd expect in what Carnival likes to call a "5-star dining experience". I prefer excellent wait service, good food, and interesting and entertaining conversation with my tablemates. I don't know how they can expect Jeans to stay out of the dining room with dog 'n' pony shows like that. This also goes for the hoopla surrounding the team competition. :(

I usually manage to get to hell out of there by the time its in full swing. :D

I've never done one of those Poll things that are posed on how you feel about something. Does anyone know how to do it? It would be fun to see how many love the singing/dancing waiters during dinner, how many don't care one way other other, how many wish they would limit it to one or two nights and how many wish they would just do away with it. From what I've read on this thread . . . it seems like more people really enjoy it than those that don't. Anyone care to start a Poll? :p

Okay all ready . . . I don't feel sorry for our wait staff!!!! Now . . . do you feel better? :) :p :D

I never felt bad, especially not for people getting payed to do a job they asked for, but clearly you don't like being questioned about what you post... I'll leave it alone.;)

I feel somewhat for the staff - I know for a FACT, having spoken candidly to a few, that a fair % would prefer not to interrupt the serving/courses in favor of the "event". Having said that, I have spoken to several who enjoy doing it - saying that "it breaks the routine".

So, there you have it: some like it, some don't - GUESTS and SERVERS included.

I don't see anything changing - unless the "anytime dining" really starts to take hold, then I am not sure how they would be able to have a CONGA LINE... perhaps "every hour on the hour - Let the p-a-r-t-y begin" :rolleyes:

Tom

I never felt bad, especially not for people getting payed to do a job they asked for, but clearly you don't like being questioned about what you post... I'll leave it alone.;)

Actually . . . I love it! Didn't you see all my smiley faces at the end?

Hey, it's the only time we can give our hard working, terrific waiter a round of applause and a hearty "woo hoo!!"

Tips are great, but it is also nice to show some public support for your favorite waiter, right?

Ummm, go Alen! (Carnival Freedom, Posh dining room).

I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't interrupt dinner service, but on our most recent cruise, some nights we had to wait for our entree's because of the show, let alone even think about dessert! I think our waiter just had too many tables, so I know "showtime" really messed things up.

I'm sure the cruise newbies probably really enjoy it, but it's getting real old to us.

I honestly don't believe it's degrading to the waiters. Many of the waiters like to entertain the cruisers. This is just another oppourtunity. It's all in fun. And, that's what the fun ships are all about. It's certainly not "making an already cheap cruise cheaper." If anyone thinks that they shouldn't cruise on Carnival.

I have to disagree with this opinion. I doubt that very many of the staff like to sing or dance. They do it and smile about it because it is part of their jobs.

There is nothing fun about it, it is just plain corny and makes it clear that even on "formal" nights that there is nothing formal about dining in the dining room. It clearly makes an inexpensive cruise a cheap cruise.

Of course now that dress codes are relaxed and formal is gone it fits in perfectly.

... but the singing and dancing is hokey, they are about as interested as trained monkeys, and are without any singing or dancing talent, whatsoever.

Just not the kind of activity I'd expect in what Carnival likes to call a "5-star dining experience". I prefer excellent wait service, good food, and interesting and entertaining conversation with my tablemates. I don't know how they can expect Jeans to stay out of the dining room with dog 'n' pony shows like that. This also goes for the hoopla surrounding the team competition.

Well said!

Just not the kind of activity I'd expect in what Carnival likes to call a "5-star dining experience". I prefer excellent wait service, good food, and interesting and entertaining conversation with my tablemates. I don't know how they can expect Jeans to stay out of the dining room with dog 'n' pony shows like that. This also goes for the hoopla surrounding the team competition. :(

Hear Hear !!

I have never seen the staff dance on NCL or RCCL.

The danceing at dinner is the worst. I feel so bad for the staff.

As for the color team game " stupid "

But this is a small part of the cruise that I dont let it bother me too much.

Im not too much into the whole meet the capatin thing to but I dont mind downing a few of his free drinks when I can .

Archived