Who has been visited by the fairy?

So I want to hear some REAL stories of being visited by the Upgrade Fariy!

oh... and by the way... Royal Caribbean.. if you're reading this, please upgrade me this Sept. PLEASE...:D

that... or just give me a job shipboard!

oh... and by the way... Royal Caribbean.. if you're reading this, please upgrade me this Sept. PLEASE...:D

Excellant topic! ...can't wait to read the responses :rolleyes:

We booked an inside and got an ocean view, once. The ship wasn't full. I don't consider it an upgrade unless you go from one class to another.

As for the job, there are plenty, but I doubt that you really want a shipboard job. It's long hours, seven days a week with no vacation or time off until the end of the contract. You get low pay and being American you also must pay income tax on your pay (while no one else must).

That's funny, I thought I was the only one who called it the upgrade fairy.

I never received an upgrade until I became Diamond Plus, and the one upgrade I received was actually more of a problem then a perk.

We booked a back to back on the Enchantment. We booked our room because we could remain in it for both legs of the cruise. Well, they upgraded our room for the first half. They didn't even tell us they changed rooms. We actually went in our room, started unpacking our carry on, and the room stuart came and told us it wasn't our room anymore. Of course, he did not know where we got moved to. So we had to go wait in line at the purser's desk. Then our luggage wasn't even transferred to our room. We had to go find it on another deck and retrieve it ourselves.

We informed the purser that we did not want the upgrade due to the room changing and they said they would take care of everything. Well, they didn't, so while everyone was getting off, we had to repack and unpack in a different room.

So the only time we received the upgrade, it was an unwanted one. We are still hoping for the upgrade fairy to return.

I just got upgraded from an Inside Guarantee to a great midships Oceanview for the first cruise, then to a midships Promenade room for the second cruise.

(B2B Navigator) we just took our stuff over on the transfer day, didn't have to leave the ship as we thought.

The upgrade fairy visited me last fall for my cruise this Friday. :D And I will be offering many thanks for my lovely owner's suite in the hopes that she will continue to bestow her dust upon other deserving cruisers!:p

The upgrade fairy was kind enough to move us from a Jr Suite to a Grand Suite for our cruise in 11 days on the Mariner.

Woah!!! Concierge! :D

Is there more of a chance getting an upgrade if you've booked a "guarantee" room, or is it just luck?

We were upgraded on our 2nd cruise - way back in 1999. We had booked an oceanview stateroom for our 5th anniversary cruise. We were upgraded to a balcony. Scared me - thought we would have to pay the difference! Hasn't happened since, but it was a nice anniversary present once I confirmed that I was not going to have to pay! (It was on the Empress of the Seas on a NY - Bermuda cruise.)

Once we were booked an inside guarantee and got an oceanview on the Splendour. On another cruiseline, we were upgraded from an inside to a balcony room! Ever since then we've gotten balcony rooms and suites!

I have been visited by her 3 times in 31 cruises! (And NEVER by the RCCL upgrade fairy.)

The Celebrity upgrade fairy has twice moved me to a suite from a verandah cabin; thus spoiling me forever because now I only want suites. Way back when the NCL upgrade fairy moved me to an outside from an inside.

I wish the RCCL upgrade fairy would visit me for my TA on the Indy in November. However, I think it is sold out of all the suites and we're in a JS so it's unlikely. :cool:

We booked an inside and got an ocean view, once. The ship wasn't full. I don't consider it an upgrade unless you go from one class to another.

As for the job, there are plenty, but I doubt that you really want a shipboard job. It's long hours, seven days a week with no vacation or time off until the end of the contract. You get low pay and being American you also must pay income tax on your pay (while no one else must).

Actually I really do, and I've applied 16x. I work 6 days a week, 10 to 12 hours daily. I'm a work a holic. And the pay rate is the same, for me as an American. It will be a little bit more than what I am making now, but you figure you're on a ship for 6 months, not really spending your money, then your off for 2, and I can find a job then as well. I've done my homework on this one... and I'm sold.

Those who have been upgraded... did you book directly with RCCL or a travel agency?

I guess we have been very lucky. We have been upgraded many times. We cruise in suites and have booked with travel agent and have done our own bookings. We have been upgraded in both situations - I don't think how you book matters. It is just how popular the cruise is and how well the cabins at a higher level than yours are selling. I think part of our success is we cruise at off times - trying to minimize the number of children that will be on board.

We were visited by the UF on our last cruise (just got home 5/17). I still have mixed feelings about the upgrade. We had booked the IDEAL D1 cabin on the Serenade (ideal in MY mind), right on the edge of the hump, close to stairs. Without notifying us they upgraded us to a JS WAAAY the h*ll at the back of the ship (NOT an aft, though). When I contacted my TA about it she had no record of any phone call or fax from RCL about this. I know I could have put up a fuss and probably gotten our original cabin back, but DH and I talked about it and decided since it was a 14 night cruise it would be nice to have the extra space. Well, it definitely was, and I fell in love with the bathroom with a tub! But this cabin was underneath the galley to the Windjammer and they rev up VERY early in the morning up there!

This cruise was totally sold out for months, so don't know why we were moved unless it was a domino effect with others moving further up the chain. Or some persistent person insisting on having OUR (carefully handpicked) cabin.

I have booked another cruise and told my TA to flag it "do not upgrade" since we have another hump cabin, but when she gave this directive to the person at RCL they just said "oh, we never give free upgrades or move people." Yeah, right!

That's funny, I thought I was the only one who called it the upgrade fairy.

I never received an upgrade until I became Diamond Plus, and the one upgrade I received was actually more of a problem then a perk.

We booked a back to back on the Enchantment. We booked our room because we could remain in it for both legs of the cruise. Well, they upgraded our room for the first half. They didn't even tell us they changed rooms. We actually went in our room, started unpacking our carry on, and the room stuart came and told us it wasn't our room anymore. Of course, he did not know where we got moved to. So we had to go wait in line at the purser's desk. Then our luggage wasn't even transferred to our room. We had to go find it on another deck and retrieve it ourselves.

We informed the purser that we did not want the upgrade due to the room changing and they said they would take care of everything. Well, they didn't, so while everyone was getting off, we had to repack and unpack in a different room.

So the only time we received the upgrade, it was an unwanted one. We are still hoping for the upgrade fairy to return.

We have the same concern, we are doing a B2B and have the same hump room for both legs. While an upgrade would be great, and I would relally really like one I do not want to have to move rooms in the middle of the cruise and somehow I don't think we would get two weeks worth of upgrade!

Last week I booked an inside guaranteed room on Explorer for June 5th. I got an ocean view cabin assignment. This will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. On past cruises with Celebrity, I have had inside to outside cabin upgrade and an outside to balcony upgrade. I have no idea how upgrades are determined, but I am sure it is primarily for the convenience of the cruise line.

We were visited by the UF on our last cruise (just got home 5/17). I still have mixed feelings about the upgrade. We had booked the IDEAL D1 cabin on the Serenade (ideal in MY mind), right on the edge of the hump, close to stairs. Without notifying us they upgraded us to a JS WAAAY the h*ll at the back of the ship (NOT an aft, though). When I contacted my TA about it she had no record of any phone call or fax from RCL about this. I know I could have put up a fuss and probably gotten our original cabin back, but DH and I talked about it and decided since it was a 14 night cruise it would be nice to have the extra space. Well, it definitely was, and I fell in love with the bathroom with a tub! But this cabin was underneath the galley to the Windjammer and they rev up VERY early in the morning up there!

This cruise was totally sold out for months, so don't know why we were moved unless it was a domino effect with others moving further up the chain. Or some persistent person insisting on having OUR (carefully handpicked) cabin.

I have booked another cruise and told my TA to flag it "do not upgrade" since we have another hump cabin, but when she gave this directive to the person at RCL they just said "oh, we never give free upgrades or move people." Yeah, right!

We were upgraded on the Serenade from D1 to JS as well. We were on the two week Panama Canal transit right before yours that got into San Francisco on Saturday 5/3. I wonder if we got the same JS cabin. It was on deck 10 under the Windjammer and very noisy at times.

We were originally booked in the D1 corner aft 8168 and we did not know about the upgrade until we checked in. I really had mixed feelings about it because I was looking forward to the huge balcony but once we opened the door of the JS, it was like, Never mind, this will do just fine. It was so much bigger and the walk in closet was so cool.

Tim

Yes, that walk in closet WAS cool. There was so much additional storage in the cabin that we never even used! I think I would have been thrilled about the upgrade if it weren't for the location. It did make me be very careful about forgetting anything when I left the cabin because it was a long trek back there.

One other positive note about the whole experience....it has cured me of my lust for a JS! I have always wanted to try one, but could never justify the added expense. So now that we've had one I will be quite happy to go back to my standard balcony cabins as long as it's a 7 night cruise and not longer.

Only once, not many days ago.

Was on my 4 night cruise with Jewel of the Seas out from Stockholm. Had a E1 balcony room booked, at the check in we found out that we were upgraded to a jr suite. First time for me in a jr suite and now I can not go back to normal cabins again:D

Regards

Archived