Bar Harbor Tours, Oli's Or Acadia?

April2986

Acadia National Park Tours, or Olli's Trolley tours. Does anyone know which of the two companies is better? There is only a $5.00 difference in prices. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mary

I have no personal experience (yet, we've booked Acadia National Park tour in Sept), but read one comment by someone who took Ollie's Trolley. I believe she said that the trolley seats were wooden and uncomfortable and she wished she had taken a regular bus.

Also, not sure of this either but is the trolley open? Or is it closed in in case you have lousy weather. That might help you decide.

It was probably my review about Ollie's Trolley last September. This was definately one of those tours where I would have enjoyed the bigger seats on the coach buses better. We took the 2 1/2 hour tour and the trolley seats were wood and small (and the trolley was PACKED). I will say that the tour was fun and my guess, at the time, was that it may have been more of a personal type of tour. However, if I had to do it over again, I'm sure that I would just sign up for the ship's tour.

Have a great time, Tammy!

Oh, I just saw the part about the trolley being open. As, I recall there wre plastic coverings over the windows. So at times, it was HOT and stuffy, then there were some windows kind of open and it would be freezing.

Tammy

Oh, I just saw the part about the trolley being open. As, I recall there wre plastic coverings over the windows. So at times, it was HOT and stuffy, then there were some windows kind of open and it would be freezing.

Tammy

I think you made up my mind. Acadia National Tours sounds very nice and I think I will go with them instead of Ollie's. Thanks so much for your information.

Mary

It was probably my review about Ollie's Trolley last September. This was definately one of those tours where I would have enjoyed the bigger seats on the coach buses better. We took the 2 1/2 hour tour and the trolley seats were wood and small (and the trolley was PACKED). I will say that the tour was fun and my guess, at the time, was that it may have been more of a personal type of tour. However, if I had to do it over again, I'm sure that I would just sign up for the ship's tour.

Have a great time, Tammy!

Yup, it was you! :D Sorry I couldn't remember your exact post.

I think you made up my mind. Acadia National Tours sounds very nice and I think I will go with them instead of Ollie's. Thanks so much for your information.

Mary

Mary,

You do know that you can book directly with Acadia National Park tours right? You don't have to book through your ship which is much more expensive for the same basic tour.

Is it acadiatours.com ?

So does it have sort of a city tour with it on the way to the park? The tour I was looking at was Best of Bar Harbor. It's 4 hours for 60$ and includes Acadia, a tour of a home, plus the Lobster Oceanarium. Any info on this lobster place?

Also I've heard about a candy/ice cream store not to be missed. Is it within walking distance of the pier?

Thanks for the information

Cheryl

Also I've heard about a candy/ice cream store not to be missed. Is it within walking distance of the pier?

I think everything in Bar Harbor is walking distance to the pier, but there appear to be many ice cream places. The one I want to go to is Ben and Bill's (http://www.benandbills.com) to try their Lobster ice cream. That one appears to be about a block from the pier.

I think everything in Bar Harbor is walking distance to the pier, but there appear to be many ice cream places. The one I want to go to is Ben and Bill's (http://www.benandbills.com) to try their Lobster ice cream. That one appears to be about a block from the pier.

Have a great time in Bar Harbor! There are many ice cream parlors, but Ben and Bill's is a sure spot to hit - lots of candy and ice cream! You can easily walk around this quaint town, visit the shops and walk the ocean path in front of the hotels while you eat your "lobster" ice cream. Enjoy.

Have a great time in Bar Harbor! There are many ice cream parlors, but Ben and Bill's is a sure spot to hit - lots of candy and ice cream! You can easily walk around this quaint town, visit the shops and walk the ocean path in front of the hotels while you eat your "lobster" ice cream. Enjoy.

Thanks! Since Maine is your hometown, can you shed any light on Kennebunkport? We chose a tour from Portland over to Kennebunkport. I think we have almost 2 hours to walk around Kennebunkport, plus have lunch. Thanks for the info!

Cheryl

• 1 month later...

Cheryl,

I'm a tour guide in Southern Maine and have done the Kennebunk tour many times with cruise ships. In general you get 1.5 to 2 hours of free time in town with many choices of restaurants for lunch from a clam shack for take out only to a brew pub to fine restaurants with sit down meals. Plenty of snack shops also (ice cream, fudge, coffee shop). Add to that all the neat boutiques, knick knack shops and other places and you should have fun. Except for Ben & Jerrys, there are no big name stores in town. Easy walk from the bus to the shops and restaurants.

Cheryl,

I'm a tour guide in Southern Maine and have done the Kennebunk tour many times with cruise ships. In general you get 1.5 to 2 hours of free time in town with many choices of restaurants for lunch from a clam shack for take out only to a brew pub to fine restaurants with sit down meals. Plenty of snack shops also (ice cream, fudge, coffee shop). Add to that all the neat boutiques, knick knack shops and other places and you should have fun. Except for Ben & Jerrys, there are no big name stores in town. Easy walk from the bus to the shops and restaurants.

Thanks for the info. Which restaurant would you recommend for fried haddock? We can't get good haddock here in Indy.

Glad to hear there's some little shops. I hope we have time enough. Maybe we'll have to eat our fish quickly. I'm hoping there's a store with a few toys. We'll have our 3 year old with us. Do you know which shop might have some toys?

Thanks again for the information.

Cheryl,

Kennebunkport restaurants run the gammit. For Fish & Chips or even a Fried Haddock sandwich there are lots of options. Depends on the atmosphere you are looking for.

Federal Jack's is the local brew pub (Shipyard beer) and is on the 2nd floor of their building overlooking the Kennebunk River. Window seats inside as well as patio dining will give you views of the river (and parking lot)

Pilot House is low key, local pub. Recommend sitting at bar for faster service on cruise ship days. They offer lobster rolls served mixed with mayo OR with drawn butter. Inside and outside seating also.

Bartley's in right on the main street, and has inside and outside dining. Their blueberry pie is the perfect end to a meal.

Clam Shack is strictly take out - no tables, but there are benches close by. Good, no frills fried food.

Hurricane Restaurant is one of the more upscale places in town. Generally older crowd heads there. Bit pricey on some meals but others are good buys. Some seats have water view.

Allison's Restaurant is also a bit more upscale, but also has a nice children's menu. Had their lobster roll the other day - a bit pricey by my standard, but one of the biggest rolls I've ever had.

Haven't been to the Landing and Arundel Wharf restaurants for awhile - they're a bit further walk away from the bus parking. If you're up for the walk and want to avoid the crowds - Arundel is the one to try for as they're least crowded on cruise ship days. Lots of seats right out on the river.

For stores for visiting with your 3 y/o, Kennebunkport has ABC Personalized Storybooks, Next Generation, and Poofberries among possibilities.

Wow! Thanks for all the good info. I'll have to print that out and take it with us.

I would love to go somewhere and sit with a view. I just don't want to take forever getting our food. I want to leave some time for shopping. Thanks a bunch!!

What is a lobster roll? Do people who don't care for lobster like them?

I know....shudder the thought of a visitor coming to the east coast who doesn't care for lobster. Ha!

A lobster roll is lobster meat that is chunked with mayo and perhaps some lettuce on a bread roll (similar to a hot dog bun). Everyone makes their lobster rolls a little different (some add onion or spices, etc) ... I just like it with lobster claw meat and a little mayo. Jan

Cheryl (and others)

I always hear of folks that don't eat / care for lobster (my 16 y/o dd is one). There are lots of other great seafood options (like your request for Haddock) and non-seafood (new deli joint just opened in Kennebunkport - fresh made sandwiches and lots of benches to eat out just outside their shop - Henvy VIII)

Adding to Jan's description of a lobster roll (for those that thought it was a lobster flipping over on the ground - sorry), the amount of lobster meat in a is about equal to what you get in a 1 lb. lobster less the shell, stink, etc. Don't be afraid to ask if the lobster is fresh or frozen (although in Maine it's posted on the menu if its fresh) or even what they use for seasoning in their mix - you might be able to request plain meat with the mayo on the side that you can mix yourself.

In general, the bread (top split hotdog roll is preferred bread, but others use round rolls, croisants) is lightly toasted, but could just be steamed. Lots of restaurants will line the roll with lettuce, but you can always ask for none if you so desire. If at a restaurant, you'll might get coleslaw, fries, potato chips and/or pickel with your meal. Take-out places will probably be just the sandwich.

Hope these help wet your appetite for food in Maine.

I can hardly wait. We used to go to Newburyport every other summer to see family. There was a little restaurant there called Captains Quarters. The haddock there was so good. It's probably long gone by now. That was about 30 years ago.

We'll be up in 2 short months.

Thanks for all the good information.

We ended up cancelling our Acadia tour and selecting a combo tour that includes a stop in Acadia (Cadillac Mt) and a sail on the Margaret Todd. I hope we see some wildlife. It's supposed to sail around Porcupine Islands with views of Bar Harbor and Acadia Nat'l Park from the water.

I hope it's not freezing cold on the schooner. We'll be on there 09/29. I wrote and asked them if we should bring a winter coat for our 3 year old. They suggested just a jacket.

Thanks for all the information on Bar Harbor and Kennebunkport and Lobster Rolls!

It's through the ship (RCCL). It's 78 each. I think it's a pretty good deal since they are driving us to the park, and then on to the schooner. It lasts 3 1/2 hours. The sailing portion is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour. It says not available in late October.

If you have your own transportation, you can google Margaret Todd to check their prices directly.

Archived