Horseshoe Bay Beach and Chairs

js

Can anyone please confirm with me that I can rent lounge chairs at Horseshow Bay Beach? I was just online and googled pictures but it looks like everyone is sitting on towels. This is very important to me as I don't want to sit on a towel.

Thanks so much!

We were just at Horsehoe Bay on Tuesday (5/20). You can rent sand chairs for $10.00 each plus a refundable $10 deposit. You do need to get there early. We arrived at 10:00 on a fairly cloudy day and there were only 4 chairs left after we rented our two. Again, there are folding sand chairs, not full loungers. They are a good quality canvas with an aluminum frame.

We also recommend the $1 per person van ride back up the hill. We made it to the bus, without having to wait 20 minutes for the next one.

Eric

We bring our own chairs. I have those sling type sand chairs. Easy to carry and don't have to worry about getting a chair:)

Hi,

We're on the Dawn with you guys, the sand chair is a good idea- I'm not sure what it looks like thou :confused:

Where would I purchase one?

We bring our own chairs. I have those sling type sand chairs. Easy to carry and don't have to worry about getting a chair:)

my original idea was to bring chairs, keeping in mind I have never cruised before I ran it past a friend who has. Her advice was not to bring them, she said I'd be the only one trying to get off the ship with a chair and would quickly make enemies. I still am keen on the idea and now that I've seen you post it I'm thinking people do it ?

my original idea was to bring chairs, keeping in mind I have never cruised before I ran it past a friend who has. Her advice was not to bring them, she said I'd be the only one trying to get off the ship with a chair and would quickly make enemies. I still am keen on the idea and now that I've seen you post it I'm thinking people do it ?

I've been on many cruises and have never seen anyone do it either BUT I am sailing out of Bayonne in July and only live about 20 minutes from the Port.

I am thinking about bringing 2 beach chairs for my dh and me (kids 10 and 14 will be on the towel since I am not bringing 4 chairs) and umbrella. I don't though have anything to carry them. Perhaps I should start looking for a carrier. If I found one, I just may do it. The chairs I have are the same as shown in Horseshoe Bay Beach. I will be doing 9 nights on Explorer and going to Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin and Puerto Rico. I will only be going to beach in Bermuda and St. Martin so not so sure worth the trouble BUT do not want to be on my towel :(

The ones I have are the type that you see everywhere...the sling, folds like an umbrella. BUT mine are low to the ground sand chairs.

114998_front200.jpgThis type but low

and I have this one

digimarc.ms?img=master:SWK002.jpg&h=175&w=175

Haven't seen any this year. I got the top one at Linens & THings or Bed Bath & Beyond and the blue one I got at Marshalls and one at Macys.

We have been on about 50 cruises, and I can't say that I've seen many others bring chairs. I do it for Bermuda and have done it for a couple of others that I know I will be mostly beaching it. Oh and if it is a driving port.

I was going to bring one of those pop up shelter things I got on sale the end of the season. DIL used it this weekend for DGS and we couldn't get it closed. So we put it in my DD shed (she lives at the beach).

I am at the point of my life that I really don't care what people think.;) Too old to sit in the sand and if the chair hogs are out at the pool, I HAVE MY OWN CHAIR . :D :D

I've been on many cruises and have never seen anyone do it either BUT I am sailing out of Bayonne in July and only live about 20 minutes from the Port.

I am thinking about bringing 2 beach chairs for my dh and me (kids 10 and 14 will be on the towel since I am not bringing 4 chairs) and umbrella. I don't though have anything to carry them. Perhaps I should start looking for a carrier. If I found one, I just may do it. The chairs I have are the same as shown in Horseshoe Bay Beach. I will be doing 9 nights on Explorer and going to Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin and Puerto Rico. I will only be going to beach in Bermuda and St. Martin so not so sure worth the trouble BUT do not want to be on my towel :(

St Maarten has a nice beach right across from the pier. Lots of chair rentals and not that costly. If your going over to St John, I would take my chair!! No chair rental (unless that changed) there.

Have a great time on your cruise. Great itinerary and ship.

Hi,

We're on the Dawn with you guys, the sand chair is a good idea- I'm not sure what it looks like thou :confused:

Where would I purchase one?

Haven't seen them this year, but haven't really looked. Target, walmart, maybe Sports Authority.

Got one at Macys in the Mens dept in a Fathers day display. The other in Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

See you Sunday!!

We were also thinking about bringing the low to the ground type folding chairs for use at the beach, especially since the rentals at Horseshoe Bay Beach run out early in the morning.

My question is whether or not those chairs are permitted to be brought on the public busses.

We were also thinking about bringing the low to the ground type folding chairs for use at the beach, especially since the rentals at Horseshoe Bay Beach run out early in the morning.

My question is whether or not those chairs are permitted to be brought on the public busses.

I've brought them on the buses the last 3 times we went to Bermuda. THey are small, like a fold up umbrella.

I will have them with me on Sunday when we cruise.:)

Ok ...I know the chair. We are not close to the shore so we call them camping chairs instead of sand chairs.....good idea, have to see if we have room.....

Can't wait till Sunday:D

The camp chairs are higher, ones I have are low to the ground sand chairs. They are made the same way except for the shorter legs.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

We were in Bermuda on Summit the week of May 22/11. We didn't go to Horseshoe Bay on Wednesday but people did tell us that they were able to rent chairs. DH and I were planning to go on the Thursday and since we were pretty sunburned, it was important for us to get an umbrella and chairs. Anyway, we went on the Thursday and were got there early enough but because of the wind, they were NOT renting the umbrellas but only the chairs. So just be aware that if it is windy, you may not be able to rent an umbrella. We were renting chairs though :)

Enjoy. Bermuda was sooooooooo wonderful :)

We were on the May 29th sailing. We rented chairs daily, but we did find an alternative to umbrellas. Straight down from the concession to the water and then just to the right is a small cave. We had 3 seniors with us who could not be in the sun all day long. We set up camp there. In the morning the tide would be in and they had to sit farther back to keep dry and in the shade. But later in the day they could sit out more. We had a blast using this cave as shelter. People were in and out checking it out and we talked to and met a lot of people this way. We also shared it with other families to set up their belongings too.:) Also, they rode the van to the top and I believe it is $2 now. Still a bargain if you don't want to walk. I just wish I was there right now!!:D

How far is this walk up the hill? My parents will be coming along and my mom has a hard time walking sometimes.

If she sometimes have trouble walking, the $2 will be the best money spent. Even if the van has gone up to $3, it's still a great bargain and the driver gives a nice little informational talk about Bermuda flora and fauna on the way back up. If you catch it at the right time, since most of his business is up and he waits at the bottom, you can even get a ride down....another $2.

I'm equally concerned about umbrellas--we're both fair-skinned, and even with sunscreen need a place in shade.

Are the umbrellas equally in short supply? we're flying to NJ, so I don't plan on bringing my own.

thanks

They have been known to run short of them in the afternoon. Also as has been mentioned they won't rent them if it is windy. In the past few years about 50 per cent of the times I gone which has been a lot of times I have gone, love Horseshoe, they have determined it is too windy to rent umbrellas. Besides sunscreen I also take a Tilley hat with a wide brim and a rash shirt. That has helped a lot.

Edited by Charles4515

We were just at Horsehoe Bay on Tuesday (5/20). You can rent sand chairs for $10.00 each plus a refundable $10 deposit. You do need to get there early. We arrived at 10:00 on a fairly cloudy day and there were only 4 chairs left after we rented our two. Again, there are folding sand chairs, not full loungers. They are a good quality canvas with an aluminum frame.

We also recommend the $1 per person van ride back up the hill. We made it to the bus, without having to wait 20 minutes for the next one.

Eric

It's funny how a few weeks can change things. We just returned last Sunday and each umbrella and chair was $11 each, however they did look brand new and very, very comfortable. There were 6 of us so we rented 6 chairs and 3 umbrellas for $99 and didn't think that was bad for a beach day and being comfortable. We were there from about 9am until 3:30pm. $5 per item deposit as well when you return the items.

We did see them running out of the new high recliner chairs around 11am and people had to take the low chairs that were older. Some of the older people did have some issues trying to get in an out of the chairs. Advise, go early and make a day of it. The beach was beautiful and water was about 77 degrees, quite comfortable.

The bus ride back up is now $2 per person as well.

Angela

It's funny how a few weeks can change things. We just returned last Sunday and each umbrella and chair was $11 each, however they did look brand new and very, very comfortable. There were 6 of us so we rented 6 chairs and 3 umbrellas for $99 and didn't think that was bad for a beach day and being comfortable. We were there from about 9am until 3:30pm. $5 per item deposit as well when you return the items.

We did see them running out of the new high recliner chairs around 11am and people had to take the low chairs that were older. Some of the older people did have some issues trying to get in an out of the chairs. Advise, go early and make a day of it. The beach was beautiful and water was about 77 degrees, quite comfortable.

The bus ride back up is now $2 per person as well.

Angela

Check the date of the post you quoted...it was from May, 2008, so it was three years ago, not a few weeks ago...

Check the date of the post you quoted...it was from May, 2008, so it was three years ago, not a few weeks ago...

Ooops, sorry about that. I didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Angela