Help with choosing a company & ship

mamie

We are veterans to big ship cruising (Celebrity is our favorite) but have no clue on European riverboat cruising. We want something nice, with amenities, but reasonable prices. I don't know if this is attainable. We have brochures from GCT, Amadeus, Viking, and Uniworld so far.

Any comparisions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have traveled with GCT & Uniworld. We enjoyed both, but prefer GCT.

They are similar in price and amenities. Both include airfare from the US (usually NYC), all meals, and most shore excursions.

We are veterans to big ship cruising (Celebrity is our favorite) but have no clue on European riverboat cruising. We want something nice, with amenities, but reasonable prices. I don't know if this is attainable. We have brochures from GCT, Amadeus, Viking, and Uniworld so far.

Any comparisions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Like you, we too were veterans of the "big ships" and somewhat hesitant to try riverboats. Fortunately, friends convinced us to try.

Our first experience was with Viking River, when we did China last year. We had such a marvelous time, that we booked another trip with Vantage in Feb of 08 to Egypt and now another next year to the Ukraine with Viking.

We especially like being immersed in the venues with tour guides that really are fabulous and communicate well. They know their subjects.

While the tours on the "big ships" are nice, in our opinion, they do not compare to those that we experienced with river cruising. AND on river cruises, most of the tours are included - not like on the big ships, where these would (if available) cost a small fortune!! What's more, groups are small (ours was 22) and with only 150 - 200 passengers total, there are no lines to deal with.

As far as amenities, we felt that Viking selected better ships and hotels, however, both Vantage and Viking provided all the essentials.

Some tour companies are now offering optional facility upgrades - guess it depends on your budget and desired degree of creature comforts.

While Ocean cruises are wonderful and relaxing, for us, riverboats offer a new and exciting way to see and learn about other places and peoples. We enjoyed both and fortunately, we are loving it!

If interested, I can provide you with an in detail journal that covers many of the questions you might have.

Email me if interested, at - Jerry at glevitz dot com

Jerry

You might want to check out Gate 1 also. This year, they are using two Amadeus ships and they are very new. We were on the Rhine cruise from Nuremberg to Amsterdam the first part of April and loved it. Very reasonable, wonderful guides (on board and local), good food and local wines provided during dinner.

Bitzy Cole

Bitzy Cole,

Just to clarify: Gate1 is using ships from the Austrian cruise company Lueftner. Their ship names do start with "Amadeus" too. But they are not identical with Amadeus Waterways.

steamboats

To get more information on a possible European River Cruise it will help to decicde on the following:

1. Lenght of trip

2. What area of Europe, Westen/Eastern/ any particular country or cities?

After answering the above, then you can begin to look for a river vessel.

Also:

A more all inclusive with few options or a lower cost with more pay as you go options.

MSEm

I believe that Vantage (which is not sold through TAs) has a 28 day cruise from AMS to Bucharest. Like someone else said, it's 2 cruises back to back--AMS to BUD and then BUD to Bucharest. I believe it also starts at either end depending upon the date. Their prices include air and excursions. This cruise is done mostly on their newest ('07) ship the Discovery.

Archived