Flight- Check, Cruise- Not yet. What to do?

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

I value the wisdom of the posters on this board, and I have a dilemma and I need your advice. My wife is a school teacher and we have gone on cruises the last two years during her spring break. And I've been fortunate enough to find cruises for under $600/pp (inside cabin) on each of these.

I found a good deal on a flight last week to FLL for her 2009 spring break and went ahead and booked it since I'm thinking airline prices will most likely only go up. However, cruise prices seek quite high right now in comparison to what I have paid in the past, plus I have never booked this far out either. For this past spring break season, I booked a good deal in November, and for the year before, it was January.

Since I have been watching cruise prices I haven't seen them budge, still over $800/pp (inside cabin). Any advice, should I just sit tight and keep my eyes open or go ahead and book at the higher price, and watch for price drops before final payment, which won't be until January? Since I already have the flight booked I don't want to miss the cruise opportunity, but also want a better deal than I am seeing.

I'm basically checking prices once per day and on our three past cruises have booked three different ways, so I check several options when I do check. Thanks for your wisdom!

Mike

For spring break periods, which is when educators and people with school age kids can cruise, don't expect a price break. As a matter of fact, I would expect the rates to go up. Spring break is a "premium" time period and no matter where you go or what vacation you plan, rates will be most likely be higher.

i agree. You already have air, so trying to book a hotel & pay for meals that week willl be as much as a cruise. I would go ahead and book. If the prices drop before final payment, you should be able to get the lower price. Make sure you are dealing with a TA that does not charge a fee to cancel. If you find a better price somewhere else & they won't match it, you can switch TA's.

I totally agree, unless someone is willing to take the chance and wait out the possibility of flash promotions after final payment, I doubt we will see any really 'good deals' out there during spring break times.

If you already booked your flights, it is totally up to you whether you pay the rate, and monitor pricing and hope for a price drop, or wait it out to see if there might possibly be some flash promotions after final payment. Also remember, these flash pomos can come out anytime after final payments are made for that cruise, and are not always right after the final payment date but can be closer to the actual sailing. Depends on how big of a gambler you are.

Archived