Notice to Seattle cruisers: You might face a tax surcharge (such as we did)

sppunk

We just returned from the 5/18-5/25 Westerdam cruise from Seattle. Upon entering our stateroom, we received notice of an increase in port authorities taxes and they are being charged to our onboard account. I just wanted to provide this as a common courtesy to anyone sailing from Seattle this season, as they very will might have this greeting them as well!

The note reads:

On board ms Westerdam

May 18, 2008 sailing

Seattle-Seattle

Alaskan Explorer voyage

NOTICE Account revision

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to welcome you aboard our beautiful ms Westerdam for this Alaskan Explorer cruise. We trust that you have enjoyed your journey thus far.

To ensure that you only pay the proper amount of Taxes applicable to your cruise, Holland America Line reviews the actual Taxes assessed by governmental and quasi-governmental authorities relative to the amounts guest previously paid. The difference is either collected or refunded, as appropriate. We recently received notice of an increase in the applicable per-passenger fees from Seattle port authorities. As a result of this unexpected increase, the Taxes applicable to your cruise are higher than the amount you paid. Consequently, a charge of $6.69 per person will automatically appear on your onboard bill. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

On behalf of the Officers, Staff, and Crew on board the ms Westerdam, thank you very much for traveling with us-we anticpate an exceptional voyage together. As always, we will endeavor to provide you with an outstanding experience in every way. We look forward to making your stay aboard a memorable one.

Sincerely,

Captain Jonathan Harris

Master, ms Westerdam

We just got off the Amsterdam and received the same letter and on board charge. We do not consider this a significant amount of money, nor do we consider this something the cruise line could have anticipated. It is clear in the cruise contract that passengers are responsible for these taxes (if it becomes necessary to skip a port, you will note that these taxes are credited to your on board account).

Just the price of doing business -- or rather the price of cruising. Ship happens and these taxes are just a part of the adventure of traveling.

Oh, no complaints for us - just a heads up for those saling out of Alaska. I don't like surprises and sure many others don't either. ;)

Happy cruising - Seattle is a lovely town, although the check-in system at the pier is, uhm, cumbersome to say the least. Very confusing.

I had forgotten about that. We got the same letter. We got hit with it twice as we ended one cruise in Seattle and began the second one there.

There was another port on our 19 day cruise where the port taxes were raised - don;t have my notes handy to list that port.

Is this another increase? About 2 weeks after I booked, I was notified of a port charge increase of about $13 for both us, and paid it then. Guess I better make sure I have all of my paperwork so I don't wind us paying this twice.

Checked my papers.

19 day cruise - Panama Transit - $13.19 and Seattle - $9.04.

Alaskan cruise - Seattle - $6.69.

KK, Not sure if you know the answer or maybe someone else will but I wonder why you were charged more of your arrival to Seattle from you 19 days cruise than you were for your round trip Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise:confused:

Also I am guess that the dollars amounts are Per Person.

Archived