reserving specific cabins

terkatz56

I have only been on one cruise but have planned an "09" cruise to Alaska.

Can you book a specific room when you make your reservation with a TA or if you go directly through Holland America? The last cruise all we requested was Oceanview and now we would like to be on a specific deck and not so far forward. I tried the search but couldn't get an answer to this. Thanks for any help.:)

Definitely, if it's available. Decide what you want, and go to your TA with a list of choices just in case the first 1 or 2 or 3 are taken already. The earlier you do it, of course, the more choices will be open.

You can even do a "trial booking" on the HAL site. Go through all the motions like you're going to book until you get to the point of choosing a cabin ... and start down your list. When you get one that's available, abort out of the booking and call your TA!

jtl513's absolutely right.

If you want the specific cabin you've reserved and do not wish to be considered for a possible complimentary upgrade closer to sailing date, tell your agent so. They can then mark the booking for "no upgrades". (An upgrade would be to a higher cabin category, but there's no guarantee of the exact location of that cabin...)

I rarely make a booking that I don't pick a specific cabin. The three times I've done a guaranteed share I couldn't pick, and my next cruise on the Noordam I changed to guarantee status because I couldn't find a location I liked in the category I can afford. But other than that I choose home, sweet home. ;)

When I book a specific cabin I don't get an upgrade---I'm open to it, but it's never forthcoming. I'm hoping for an upgrade on the Noordam.

Somehow I got the impression that the online agencies get certain cabins from the cruiseline, so depending who you book with, would determine whether or not you can get a certain cabin. Am I correct or incorrect?

Somehow I got the impression that the online agencies get certain cabins from the cruiseline, so depending who you book with, would determine whether or not you can get a certain cabin. Am I correct or incorrect?
Yes, some TAs buy blocks of cabins, and will certainly try to sell from that block first. But if I were to go to (or call) my TA armed with the info that such-and-such 3 or 4 cabins were available a few minutes before and he refused to sell me one of them ... I'd find another TA.

Yes, some TAs buy blocks of cabins, and will certainly try to sell from that block first. But if I were to go to (or call) my TA armed with the info that such-and-such 3 or 4 cabins were available a few minutes before and he refused to sell me one of them ... I'd find another TA.

I am not sure if I am understanding you. Let's say HAL gave online agency "X" a certain block of cabins to sell. Now let's say I go to my brick and mortar TA and happen to want one of those cabins that the online agency has listed. Will my TA be able to get me that cabin, even though it is listed with an online agency?

Keeping in mind that this is my first cruise so I don't pretend to know much, if anything, about cruising. :) We did choose to book directly with HAL basically because we generally don't use a TA for travel, preferring to plan vacations on our own using the internet. We are on the Westerdam cruise to Alaska Aug 24th. Diane, our cruise consultant with HAL initially booked a specific cabin for us. We reviewed the available cabins and she helped us choose a specific verandah room. (She also inquired if there was anything special about our cruise and when I said it was our 20th anniversary, she said that they would bring us a cake at dinner and she asked me which night I would prefer the cake to be served.) Later, we decided we wanted a suite instead of a verandah. We called her back and she was able to change our booking with no fuel surcharge added (because our initial booking was in October before the fuel surcharge was added) and no change to our excursions or booking number. In other words we didn't have to cancel a booking and rebook which would be the case with a TA if I understand that correctly. While on the phone she informed me there was a promotion that allowed me to upgrade to a SZ guarantee for only $40 pp including the hotel stay at the Fairmont Olympic pre cruise. :) So anyway, to answer your question, you can book a specific room directly through HAL. And for us, to date, it has worked out very well.

diane

I am not sure if I am understanding you. Let's say HAL gave online agency "X" a certain block of cabins to sell. Now let's say I go to my brick and mortar TA and happen to want one of those cabins that the online agency has listed. Will my TA be able to get me that cabin, even though it is listed with an online agency?
After a little experiment that I just did, I am confused myself! I thought that if a certain agency held a block of rooms that they would not show up as available anyplace else - not on another agency site, and not on HAL's site - and therefore what HAL showed was truly open for all to sell.

So: I went to one on-line TA, chose a cruise and a cabin class, and was offered a choice of just 6 cabins, plus "guarantee". I went to a second on-line TA, and for the same cruise and class was offered the same 6 cabins. Anything else I clicked on the deck plan was "not available". Next I went to HAL's site and found not only those 6 available but others as well. This means that neither on-line agency has exclusive control of those 6 cabins nor do they belong to an "agency pool" either.

I still believe that if I went to my local B&M TA I could book anything that HAL shows as available.

Maybe one of the TAs who frequent this forum will see these postings and come in and clear it up for both of us! :D

You are not the only one to be confused, having just had a bad experience with this ourselves.

Whilst on Rotterdam in March - Rio to Valparaiso - we enjoyed ourselves so much and loved Rotterdam, we booked there and then to go on Amsterdam in December 2009 from Los Angeles to Valparaiso. As we have already been on the Panama Canal and are booked to go down the Amazon before then we thought that the cruise would finish off South America very nicely for us.

I then picked up on the board that HAL had changed things around and Amsterdam was no longer doing the cruise as Oosterdam was taking over the South America cruises. I got in touch with my TA who contacted the British HAL rep who knew nothing about this and got in touch with the US office. In the meantime more and more people were writing on the board about their letters and offers from HAL including someone who was offered a cruise on the Amsterdam - different itinerary for the same weeks, and someone else who was offered a move to a SA cruise on the Oosterdam the week after us. We again contacted TA, who contacted HAL rep who contacted US who wrote back and said there was no change to the cruise. Oh yes!!! -the new cruise had appeared by this time on the HAL site. Eventually they got round to telling us and presumably other Brits that our ship, departure date, part of the itinerary and departure port had all changed and they would give us a week to change to the new cruise or another one (if we wanted the 50$ onboard credit to apply).

We wanted to do this itinerary but not smitten with the idea of the Oosterdam which is too big for us really, but decided nevertheless to go ahead as we think we may not be able/want to do long haul flights for too much longer, but we also decided as a one off to go for a verandah cabin rather than an oceanview so that if necessary we could escape to it. This is where the next round of trouble began. I gave our TA four possible cabins (VFs) and HAL came back and said none were available. We studied the available ones they had sent in grades VD-VF and discovered there was only a handful available. The ones near the front with solid walls instead of glass or rails and the ones next to the glass lifts. Very puzzled nevertheless as cruise had only just gone on the site and bookings should have been from people transferring from Amsterdam. How could they all be booked so quickly.

Decided we would have to cancel, but surprise, surprise the cruise on Oosterdam for April 2010 appeared that very day on the site going from Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale. Told ourselves this was better than nothing and gave TA the same four cabins but on the other side of the ship this time. Again no joy, not available. When TA and HAL rep went more deeply into this discovered exactly the same cabins were available as on the November cruise - the bad ones. Strange as we were booking the day after it appeared on the site. Eventually HAL said we could have one of the ones we had wanted originally on the November cruise. Fine in theory - but have still not had anything in writing from them.

Before anyone suggests my TA is at fault I don't think she is. We have used the same firm for years and for two cruises each year and they are brilliant and the person there we deal with is second to none. It does however, beg certain questions. Why were the Brits so late in being informed - and why are the British HAL reps not in the loop. Are all the good cabins given to American TAs or is it that the Brits just get the worst cabins.

I hope this latest trouble of not getting confirmation is just a blip and that we are going on this cruise but really not sure of anything now.

What I have been told, by more than one TA, is that when they have a 'block' of cabins for a group, it isn't specific cabins. Rather, they have 'x' number of cabins in selected categories. You are free to choose any available cabin.

In a way that makes the situation seem even worse. I must admit as we now appear (possibly) to have a cabin which we were originally told was not available, I think Mary Ellen you are probably right. But that of course begs the question are some cabins only available to Americans. I just don't know. Some people who booked the Rotterdam before us with a different agent were told that the cheaper oceanview/inside cabins were only available in the US. Actually that didn't concern us as we would not have wanted to be below main deck anyway, but it does make you wonder.

I really would like to see our future cruising being with HAL and because of that factor am trying to keep an open mind - but it is not easy. I don't remember any of our cruises being so difficult to book and being so much trouble.

What I have been told, by more than one TA, is that when they have a 'block' of cabins for a group, it isn't specific cabins. Rather, they have 'x' number of cabins in selected categories. You are free to choose any available cabin.

This is quite accurate, we do not hold specific cabins, we hold categories. The big online agencies will typically only show those cabins available that HAL shows available and as stated earlier in the thread, HAL typically shows 5 or 6 specific cabins. Make use of the search function on the HAL screen, if a cabin is available it will show available when you put the number in. BUT, be careful searching for a stateroom if you plan to call HAL or your TA right after you find the cabin you want, the cabin is not always released right away, it can take as little as 15 minutes but I have seen it take much longer for a cabin someone "looked at" to be returned to inventory. My recomendation? Call your TA first (try to have a copy of the deck plan available when you do), that is part of what we get paid for after all! :D

As to the US vs. Other Countries issue, I really don't know, but I will be on the phone in the next day or two with someone (with HAL) who deals with ship inventory and I'll try to remember to ask.

This is my first cruise (GOING TO ALASKA!!! OH YEAH!!!!) and I have learned that HAL just has a strange way of doing business, and I am not sure I like it or want to deal with it again.

On my cruise, no balconies were initially available unless you wanted to book a cruisetour. About a week before final payment they released the balcony cabins. I guess there is more money to be made right now with cruisetours than with travellers just wanting to cruise. It was very frustrating for those that wanted the balconies. I do know that many just don't bother with HAL if they want a balcony on a cruise to Alaska. I don't blame them. For us, it didn't matter, but when my sister decided to join us, she was so disappointed that she could not get a balcony.

Another thing that no one can figure out is the fixed dining. I have read over and over that people are booking within a few days of a cruise being available, yet HAL claims that the fixed dining is full. None of this makes sense to the average person like me. Like I said, I don't like how they run things. They will truly have to knock my socks off on this cruise before I would consider booking with them again. I just don't like their business practices.

vbmom87,

I believe that you will find HAL's onboard service to be far superior to your experience thus far. Regarding Fixed dining: ever since HAL introduced AYWD it is nearly impossible to get Fixed Dining without having to first sit on the wait list until the day of sailing. This is because they "waitlisted" Fixed dining after only about 1/3 of is has been been booked so-as to ensure that they have enough for those with dining preference priority, groups, etc. Very often if one gets on the waitlist one will, actually, get Fixed dining; but, it's a crap-shoot. You might not and have to make-do with Open Seating (which one can adjust to make it more like Fixed dining by making a daily reservation for the same time/same table in the Main Dining Room).

Regarding no verandah cabins being available ... this is a new one on me. I booked the Zuiderdam for Alaska in May 2009 and had no trouble getting a Verandah. You may be right, though, that on some sailings they close off the verandahs to ensure that those who are doing land-tours, too, can have their preference. It seems wrong, but that may be just what they're doing to ensure the largest return for their investor's dollar. If I wanted to get a Verandah and couldn't due to this practice, I would ask to be placed on the waitlist for one of them, and then book one of my favorite inside Js on the Lower Promenade deck.

Again, my personal experience is that you'll find HAL's product, aboard ship, to be wonderful ... I always have, and I too have had problems with their shore-side service (or lack thereof).

... On my cruise, no balconies were initially available unless you wanted to book a cruisetour. About a week before final payment they released the balcony cabins. ...

... Regarding no verandah cabins being available ... this is a new one on me. I booked the Zuiderdam for Alaska in May 2009 and had no trouble getting a Verandah. You may be right, though, that on some sailings they close off the verandahs to ensure that those who are doing land-tours, too, can have their preference. ...

vbmom87: I agree with everything Greg (RevNeal) said in his post, except for the part quoted above. On that, my understanding is that the verandas are reserved for cruisetour passengers only on the one-way cruises (those that end in a different port from where they started). On the roundtrip cruises, verandas are available from the start, at least on the Vista ships (which have a lot more of them). Greg's May 2009 Zuiderdam cruise is a round trip (and on a Vista), hence his ability to get a veranda a year in advance.

vbmom87: I agree with everything Greg (RevNeal) said in his post, except for the part quoted above. On that, my understanding is that the verandas are reserved for cruisetour passengers only on the one-way cruises (those that end in a different port from where they started). On the roundtrip cruises, verandas are available from the start, at least on the Vista ships (which have a lot more of them). Greg's May 2009 Zuiderdam cruise is a round trip (and on a Vista), hence his ability to get a veranda a year in advance.

Ah ... ok ... that makes sense.

Well, I'd never tried to book a Verandah on one of the north or south bound one-way sailings, so I never ran into a road block. Thanks or the clarification.

As an aside, some of the one-ways are not all the way up to Anchorage or all the way down to Vancouver from the north ... some of them are shorter runs where you get off while still at one of the inside-passage port stops and do a land segment from there. I wonder if those also have all or a percentage of the verandahs closed to those who are not doing segments.

Heavenly is right. In most cases if a TA holds a block of cabins it's the cabin category, not the specific cabin. At a certain point of deposit (when a certain amount of $$ has been placed on the booking), the TA can in many cases get an actual cabin assignment from some cruise lines.

Cruise lines also hold back space on some sailings in interesting ways. For example, when a sailing is a 14-day, it may also sometimes be booked as the beginning/end of what's also shown as a 28-30 day cruise. They may show some types of cabins being available for the 28-30 day, but NOT for the 14-day (which is part of the longer cruise). I hope that sentence makes sense to those reading this. I guess they want to keep options open for the people who book the longer (i.e.: more expensive) cruise.

Add to that the fact that the average cabin is indeed sold 8 times before sailing, and that may help explain the vagaries of cruise cabin availability. Here today, gone tomorrow ...

As an aside, some of the one-ways are not all the way up to Anchorage or all the way down to Vancouver from the north ... some of them are shorter runs where you get off while still at one of the inside-passage port stops and do a land segment from there. I wonder if those also have all or a percentage of the verandahs closed to those who are not doing segments.

Greg, it's my understanding that it's the ship, not the passenger, itinerary, that's the deciding factor here.

If the ship is doing a 7-day north/south itinerary, then the balconies are held back for cruise-tour passengers.

If the ship is doing a round-trip (either from Seattle or Vancouver) then the balconies are available from the get-go. Some passengers on the Vancouver round-trips (I don't know about the Seattle cruises) may (dis)embark in Skagway.

This is interesting because right now I have a gtee VE category but was thinking of asking for a specific room. We are on the Oosterdam in December for a mexico cruise I wanted a cabin that would take advantage of the sun for the two days at sea sailing back to San Diego. While I would be giving up the possibility of an upgrade I would be assured of having a balcony in the sun. Any thoughts on that and also would anyone have cabin recommendations in that category to be sure I got what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Greg, it's my understanding that it's the ship, not the passenger, itinerary, that's the deciding factor here.

If the ship is doing a 7-day north/south itinerary, then the balconies are held back for cruise-tour passengers.

If the ship is doing a round-trip (either from Seattle or Vancouver) then the balconies are available from the get-go. Some passengers on the Vancouver round-trips (I don't know about the Seattle cruises) may (dis)embark in Skagway.

okey-dokey.

For me and mine ... I can never get enough ship-days. :)

I WANTED to do the round trip from Vancouver to Anchorage and BACK ... 14 days ... in 2009, but HAL wouldn't cooperate with a ship doing it departing on a day other than Sunday. I didn't want to miss 3 Sundays in a row just to get two weeks ... but HAL wouldn't cooperate. :(

vbmom87,

Again, my personal experience is that you'll find HAL's product, aboard ship, to be wonderful ... I always have, and I too have had problems with their shore-side service (or lack thereof).

I do hope that my experience will be as wonderful as you say. I am a very easy going positive minded person. Things don't have to be perfect, I just don't enjoy chaos.

I totally agree that HAL's shore-side service is very lacking. I can't tell you how many emails it takes to get something taken care of. At one point I began with saying that I had already written three times and to please forward this email to a supervisor. Finally, it got taken care of. I have another situation I sent two mails for and again it was not taken care of. I think I will just give up on that one.

Maybe you know the answer to still another email that I am still waiting on. I know I have read that the HAL ships usually have a Catholic priest on their cruises and a Mass is celebrated each day. However, I read that on days of embarking or disembarking that may not be the case. I will be on a NB Volendam which will be leaving Vancouver on a Sunday at 5:00 p.m. Do you know the likelihood of a Mass being celebrated on that day? I figure your answer will likely be more accurate than the one I will get in my email.

Thanks for all your posts. I have learned a lot from you and I am looking forward to this very first cruise. Just have to see the doc on Friday to get the seasickness meds in place. That is the main thing that could potentially make this cruise less than ideal.

Archived