automatic tipping on carnival

msberrios

Here is a totally hypothetical question? Has anyone removed the automatic tips and not tip? On the last day of the cruise, there is always a long line at the purser's desk. I assume these are the people trying to remove the automatic tip from their account. They always say they want to tip their servers and steward themselves. But do they really? And do they tip them reasonably?

Can I opt out of the automatic tipping that carnival has?

Why do you want to do this?

Please do not use the excuse that "I want to tip my stewards and servers personally". While you can do that, the tips that you give will be put into the 'tip pool' and then divied up amongst the same people that get the auto-tip.

If you really want to reward good service, leave the auto-tip alone and then give cash to the individuals that you feel deserve it. Doing it this way allows them to keep the extra that you offer.

Notice that I did not assume that you were just trying to get out of tipping. No responsible poster on CC would think of not tipping. :D

Why do you want to do this?

Please do not use the excuse that "I want to tip my stewards and servers personally". While you can do that, the tips that you give will be put into the 'tip pool' and then divied up amongst the same people that get the auto-tip.

First off, I am not removing auto tips. I leave them on and I tip extra to those who deserve it. That being said, I cannot find an "official source" that says Carnival pools tips from people who did not auto tip. I have found articles that say just the opposite. Like this one.

First off, I am not removing auto tips. I leave them on and I tip extra to those who deserve it. That being said, I cannot find an "official source" that says Carnival pools tips from people who did not auto tip. I have found articles that say just the opposite. Like this one.

Mike91911

Interesting reading. Thanks for researching and posting.

On a recent RCCL cruise, for various reasons my husband and I never went to the dining room. We asked about tipping the Lido buffet people instead of dining room staff. They said we could remove the automatic tips from our account and tip individuals, which is what we opted to do. There was no problem doing this.

Here is a totally hypothetical question? Has anyone removed the automatic tips and not tip? On the last day of the cruise, there is always a long line at the purser's desk. I assume these are the people trying to remove the automatic tip from their account. They always say they want to tip their servers and steward themselves. But do they really? And do they tip them reasonably?

Apparently, the percentage of people that remove their tips and then do not tip is 92%.

So, the odds when someone asks to remove them is over 9 in 10 people that do not.

So, when you go to ask to have them removed, you will be asked if your service was bad, and then the people assigned to service you will be brought in and grilled also to see if there was a service issue.

So, if you're the 1 in 10 person that does intend on tipping after having your auto tips removed, realize what you true intentions are. If you're trying to put them through that personalized feeling just to make YOU feel better, realize what they have to go through to make this happen.

So, if you're the 1 in 10 person that does intend on tipping after having your auto tips removed, realize what you true intentions are. If you're trying to put them through that personalized feeling just to make YOU feel better, realize what they have to go through to make this happen.

This is true. My husband removed them without telling me and was going to tip them himself. The steward came to my door and asked if he had not done a good job because his superior had pulled him in and questioned him on why we had removed his tips. It was VERY embarrassing for me because I didn't even know what he was talking about. But I assured him that he did a fantastic job and would be compensated. I also went to his superior and told them what had happened. I felt awful!

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I agree with the majority, why would you want to remove your tips? We actually PRE-PAY when we book. For 7 days and service 24 hours a day, $210 for our cabin is pretty darn cheap. We ALWAYS tip those services that are personal, Cabin Steward, Head & Assistant Waiter, etc.

But what I do not understand is if you wanted to remove your tips, why would you ask this group? Anyone that has read these threads for any amount of time would know that it would cause a backlash.

I say, leave your tips on your S&S or prepay and then tip extra to those that have earned it.

Just my 2cent worth.

I agree with the majority, why would you want to remove your tips? We actually PRE-PAY when we book. For 7 days and service 24 hours a day, $210 for our cabin is pretty darn cheap. We ALWAYS tip those services that are personal, Cabin Steward, Head & Assistant Waiter, etc.

But what I do not understand is if you wanted to remove your tips, why would you ask this group? Anyone that has read these threads for any amount of time would know that it would cause a backlash.

I say, leave your tips on your S&S or prepay and then tip extra to those that have earned it.

Just my 2cent worth.

I'm glad it works out for you, but the OP was not asking how everyone else feels about removing them, they asked if they could, and the answer is YES.

The only reason that these sort of questions cause a backlash is because of people needing to express their opinions about why someone wants to do something, instead of just answering the question.

The OP is an adult and can do as they wish whether other posters like it or not.

Cheers,

Peter

Well all the backlash must have made msberrios mad because they didn't reply back did they? oops

We have opted out before and tipped on our own but now we just do the automatic. I agree with Peter on the subject though.

Yes, but why would you?

Because some people still like to tip the people themselves. Other wise it seems like a mandated service fee and not a tip. I still tip the waitress/waiters at home cash in person too;)

If you don't pre-pay the tips they will automatically charge it to your sign and sail card as soon as you board.

Sorry to ask, but how do I "pre-pay the tips"? I booked our cruise directly with Carnival and I was not asked at time of booking nor time of final payment if I wanted to pre-pay tips. Is there a place on their website for me to take care of this or am I going to have to call . . . again?

Thanks!

Sorry to ask, but how do I "pre-pay the tips"? I booked our cruise directly with Carnival and I was not asked at time of booking nor time of final payment if I wanted to pre-pay tips. Is there a place on their website for me to take care of this or am I going to have to call . . . again?

Thanks!

You should have been asked this when you booked. I know when you book online there is a little box to check for pre-paying tips. If you take a look at your invoice, it should show whether you prepaid tips.

At this point don't worry about it. The auto tips will show up on your sail-and-sign account on the first day of the cruise. This is true for all passengers who did not select pre-paying of tips.

I wouldn't remove tips unless my service was way below par, just because of the hassle.

But I do wonder if Carnival doesn't have a financial reason for wanting them automatic. If Carnival holds that money and pays its crew, lets say monthly, they make quite a bit of interest when multiplied by all of the ships and all of the passengers. Do any of us think that the crew actually gets a share of that by increasing their base salary or living conditions?

I also wonder about the incentive for the crew to admit that they were tipped individually since they then might or might not have to pool tips. It is much better for their pocket to state they were stiffed.

But of course it is speculation. I figure I have enough to worry about on my vacation. I will leave the auto tips and if I feel extra is deserved then I will give it in cash with the hopes that the person I give it to is able to spend it as he or she wants without corporate interference.

As I've stated on other threads about tipping:

1. Tips are divided among more than just your wait staff & room steward. If you remove auto-tips so you can tip them yourself, you are stiffing some people behind the scene that you never met such as buffet folks etc. I'm not sure of the amounts but I think wait staff recv $5.50/day, room steward get $3.50/day and the $1/day goes for others to be pooled such as buffet staff etc.

2. Some people go above and beyond the call of duty and if your waiter or room steward has done something extra special for you and made an impression, tip them extra in person. For example, my DH had too many DOD's and got sick on the bedspread so we told our steward about it and handed him $40 for his trouble. That isn't the normal call of duty in my opinion and deserved more than the $3.50/day he gets.

Prepaying tips in advance is a help to me so I don't have such a large S&S bill at the end of the cruise but that is a personal choice. Many just wait & pay at the end of the cruise. Carnival earns interest on my prepaid tips but thats okay cuz I look at it as though it helps me by having everything paid for in advance then I only have to worry about bar tabs, photo's & gift purchases. Works for me.

Archived