Naming Names

Some posters name the name(s) of crew member(s) who fail to deliver a level of service they desire. I'd be interested in reading opinions on the practice of name dropping of crew who "didn't meet expectations" of a passenger.

Some posters name the name(s) of crew member(s) who fail to deliver a level of service they desire. I'd be interested in reading opinions on the practice of name dropping of crew who "didn't meet expectations" of a passenger.

I don't have a problem with it, I appreciate when people post those crew members who gave both good and bad service.

Terri

Well.......I've never had service that I felt was bad much less anything to complain about......But, I think that this forum isn't necessarily the place to express those opinions.

To me there wouldn't be any point to dropping those names here unless it is the posters attempt to either justify their own behavior that was then met with poor service, or to influence other future cruiser's interaction with that individual.

If I were to receive bad service, I would write a letter directly to Carnival.

I really don't see any need of posting names here, unless it's for someone who offers a service that is an elective. I've never had service bad enough to complain with a name, but if I did, it would be directly to Carnival. However, in keeping with the spirit of these boards, I'd feel obligated to share bad experiences with Carnival excursions, spa staff, and/or specialty restaurants. That is why were are here, to learn what's good and what's not so good about future cruises.

As it is in real life what one may perceive as bad service another may not. I for one dont really need all the small talk when I go out to eat, all I need is friendly and fairly efficient but I dont need to be entertained nor do I want to be entertained. Some may want to be entertained and think the service bad if they are not. As with everything that stems from another's opinion I take it with a grain of salt and form my own opinion from my personal experience. A bartender or waiter we may love on a cruise may annoy the heck out of someone else or vice versa so as with anything it is subjective. Should they post the persons name? Probably not but I forget the names after I read the post anyway :rolleyes:, the price of growing older.

Heck, I can't remember the name of the darn CD after just getting off a ship, much less the names of crew members.....

I figure the extra tip I leave them should have them remember MY NAME ! :D

I can't remember a thing a week later either, age?! BUT, before we get off the ship we make sure to write an appreciation card for the folks who went the extra mile for us, and we drop it off at the Purser's desk. They know who they are since they got a crisp $20 from me as an extra tip.

I normally reserve that information for my comment letter to Guest Relations...

Agree..... what good is it to post their names on the boards when the chances of someone getting on that specific ship and interact with that specific person are such a low % of happening.....Whoever elects to post a bad experience and name a specific name may have had a different opinion as to what was negative and what was positive in their opinion compared to another person that met them.... it's all about opinions !

If there is a problem with a crew member, bring it to the attention of the cruiseline who can perhaps rectify what occured... whining about it on CC certainly won't correct the problem !

IMHO any employee names should be directed to the cruise line if a problem occurs worth reporting. If a CD or other officer of the ship was out of order then I would have no problem with their name being used in a review. However if you are going to name direct names, then I feel you should sign the review or thread with your full name. No use hiding behind a screen name under those circumstances.

I don't think it's necessary either to post the names of the people who give great service. Even if I think "wow, I'd really like to have that person as my cabin steward (or waiter), there's no way to guarantee I'm going to get them, even if I book the same cabin as the person posting the review.

If the experience is that bad (or good), let Carnival know. That's who is more important than the people on cruisecritic.

I have always been taught "if you have nothing nice to say..."

In my letters to Carnival, I have never mentioned (by name) anyone who has given me (what I may feel is) sub-par service. I DO go out of my way to name those who I feel should be recognized, for whatever the reason. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, have a bad day, etc. Thats what makes us human! To literally crucify someone where thousands of people may read their names is a bit harsh. And (just for 2 examples) I have sat at a cruise dining table with my BIL, who has had a totally "different" dining experience than my family has had - we just have different expectations. He is very negative, and I am not. He downgrades his cabin stewards all the time - yet he is the biggest pig/slob, and expects the stewards to pick up after him and his family. I actually slip the stewards "extra" cause I am so embarrassed over the condition his cabin is constantly in! I actually ripped up his cruise survey without him knowing, cause he gave "below average" to his cabin stewards, dining experience and dining service. (he ate everything not nailed down, yet "hated" the food - put on 10 lbs) - he thinks I dropped it in one of the boxes- LOL!

I have always been taught "if you have nothing nice to say..."

In my letters to Carnival, I have never mentioned (by name) anyone who has given me (what I may feel is) sub-par service. I DO go out of my way to name those who I feel should be recognized, for whatever the reason. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, have a bad day, etc. Thats what makes us human! To literally crucify someone where thousands of people may read their names is a bit harsh. And (just for 2 examples) I have sat at a cruise dining table with my BIL, who has had a totally "different" dining experience than my family has had - we just have different expectations. He is very negative, and I am not. He downgrades his cabin stewards all the time - yet he is the biggest pig/slob, and expects the stewards to pick up after him and his family. I actually slip the stewards "extra" cause I am so embarrassed over the condition his cabin is constantly in! I actually ripped up his cruise survey without him knowing, cause he gave "below average" to his cabin stewards, dining experience and dining service. (he ate everything not nailed down, yet "hated" the food - put on 10 lbs) - he thinks I dropped it in one of the boxes- LOL!

:D :D :D

Well.......I've never had service that I felt was bad much less anything to complain about......But, I think that this forum isn't necessarily the place to express those opinions.

To me there wouldn't be any point to dropping those names here unless it is the posters attempt to either justify their own behavior that was then met with poor service, or to influence other future cruiser's interaction with that individual.

If I were to receive bad service, I would write a letter directly to Carnival.

I agree..the only way to resolve the service issue is with the company.

Ex: Just becouse Juan gave bad service to someone on the Liberty doesnt mean that when I go on Liberty in 6 months that Juan will even be on that ship...he will probably be on Spirit giving bad service. Crewmembers move around and knowing that Juan gave bad service doesnt help me in anyway as first off it would be someones opinion but lets just say he is awful...how do you plan to avoid the one in several hundred chances that he will be taking care of you. Soooo what is the point??

Take complaints to the company, fill out your end of cruise survey or write a letter to those that can fix the problem.

Personally, I believe the place to express your displeasure with a particular crew member is on the comment card and/or a follow-up letter to Carnival Guest Relations.

There is no reason to post them here. It serves no purpose except hoping that "someone" from Carnival is keeping watch and that crew member can/will be humiliated.

Reviewing service in general or referring generally to a crew member is fine....but, mentioning names is simply not necessary.

I have found almost ever worker on every cruise to be amazing...especially this one server...Robinson...we were lucky enough to have him on two different cruises on two different ships. The second time was like an unplanned reunion. He totally remembered us and it was a whole year later....pretty awesome!!!

Anyways, if you treat everyone with respect they will treat you the same - that's my motto.

That said, there was one cruise we took where the dining room experience (our favorite part of the cruise :)) left us wanting. We were at a table of 8...me and my wife, a single male widow and 5 empty chairs - every meal. Can you say 'awkward'?? We love meeting new people so we got to know this gentleman quite well but sitting at such a huge table with just three people just wasn't right :) He was an amazing guy though and even gave me a few new author's to try (we shared a love of books).

Anyways, our waiter was a waitress...first time for us...and she might have been new to Carnival...I'm not sure...but when we tried to order two of somthing she told us we weren't allowed to. All three of us just stared at her....say what!!...my wife left it alone but I tried again....nope...you can only order one of things...not multiple....the maitre'd was too busy that first night sorting out tables to help...I tried to get some other waiter to help but they were too busy...so I waited until the second night and tried again...this time she told me that I was being a hog...that the kitchen had to make sure there was enough 'firsts' for everyone before serving 'seconds'....all three of us just laughed...I went to the maitre'd and the next night we had a completely different waiter...I am not sure what even happend to the waitress...we never saw her again....(cue scary music)....but I got to order multiples again...like everyone else in the dining room :)

I normally reserve that information for my comment letter to Guest Relations...

IA that is the best place for all comments.

I believe that sometimes what one pax sees as an uncomfortable remark or jester, the next pax does not. A kindness or unexpected deed may go unnoticed by another pax but not by someone else. I think it is unfair to judge/praise any of the staff unless you actually come in contact with them. Be your own judge.

As a youngster in the service, I was taught to be hyper aware of all and everything around me at all times. Today I no longer judge things to be "threat or no threat," but am always aware of things around me. I say all that because I have observed numerous complaints in my travels. Both on cruises and other travels, and even just being out and about at home. And almost universally, the complaints are wholly imaginary. Not to the complainer, of course, but in reality, the complaints are about little or nothing.

For example, the waiter was not friendly. I guess that means the waitperson did not say, "HI! I'm Bunny!~!!! bubble, giggle, "I'll be your server....etc. etc.

How that crap ever got started, I don't know. But a waiter is supposed to be cordial and know what they're doing. They ARE NOT supposed to become your new best friend and exchange Xmas cards for the rest of your natural life. They are supposed to serve you quickly, professionally, and be nearly invisible.

Would I report someone by name for some REAL problem? Unlikely that I would know their name or allow things to get to a point that I had to start writing to anyone about a problem better nipped at the beginning.

Dan

Archived