Suggestions for "will I make it" posts

ab0si

For those who post this question ....

You are likely to get more useful answers if you give complete information:

Airline, airport, flight numbers at the very least. The date to be a factor (there are fewer flights on Saturday than on Monday) and airports are crazier than usual on certain dates.

Also, how did you purchase your ticket (through a consolidator, cruise company, direct from the airline) can be helpful.

If you have multiple flights, is it one ticket number or not?

Your choice, but the answers will be more useful if you give this information.

Paul

For those who post this question ....

You are likely to get more useful answers if you give complete information:

Airline, airport, flight numbers at the very least. The date to be a factor (there are fewer flights on Saturday than on Monday) and airports are crazier than usual on certain dates.

Paul

A lot of questions are about LA area airports. Traffic can be a "deal breaker" that varies a lot by day of week, direction of travel, and time of day. More reason to provide the day of the week.

My standard answer is that the only person who can answer that type of question is YOU.

Airport activity changes day to day and sometimes by the hour.

Weather, heavy traffic in and out. Will the ship make it back to port on time? Will customs delay debarkation?

Asking us if you will make a flight is pointless. Nobody can answer your question. We can only share our experience. Each experience is different. I cant sit here and tell you what your flight day is going to be like 6 month from now.

I guess under perfect conditions it can be done but there are no promises.

Best bet is to do what you feel comfortable with and have a plan B should the need arise.

***NOTE TO OP***

I understand your post and when I use "you" I do not mean YOU, I mean those who ask this question.

You mean that posts like:

"I'm flying next week to my Princess cruise. Will I make it to the airport in time?"

don't give enough information for us to give an answer? :D :D :D :D

This feels a bit like the old Carnac skits that Johnny Carson used to do - guess the contents of a sealed envelope before opening it.

This feels a bit like the old Carnac skits that Johnny Carson used to do - guess the contents of a sealed envelope before opening it.

The flight itinerary has been hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall’s porch....no one, but no one knows the contents, but you, oh great Carnac, will divine the answer to the question within.

Old computer programing saw - GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out. Cruise Air version - NDINDO. No Details In, No Details Out.

Of course, even with all the very useful information that the OP would like to have provided, the "answer" is really a probability. I wonder if there is an answer to the following question? If one has a connection that meets or exceeds standard "minimum connection times" (as established by the OAG or the airlines themselves), what is the resultant probability that a) one will make the connection, and b) their luggage will also make the connecting flight?

The only things certain are death and taxes. There are no other guarantees in life, and, IMO, we will all be better off when we stop looking for them, stop expecting to be taken care of, and instead accept that "s*** happens" and we should be prepared for when that occurs.

Having said that.... I'll distill my advice to: 1) take the later flight when leaving the ship; 2) take the earlier flight when going to the ship; 3) take the 3 hour connection rather than the 45 minute one; 4) when in doubt, build in more time to reduced potential damage to your plans.

Isn't Carnac now flying Untied twin aisles? ;)

Yes, though we haven't seen him for a while. I think that Ed McMahon is usually the chief purser onboard. Inflight music is provided by Doc Severinsen's band, and Tommy Newsom is the bland looking guy in the back row of business class.

The only things certain are death and taxes. There are no other guarantees in life, and, IMO, we will all be better off when we stop looking for them, stop expecting to be taken care of, and instead accept that "s*** happens" and we should be prepared for when that occurs.

Having said that.... I'll distill my advice to: 1) take the later flight when leaving the ship; 2) take the earlier flight when going to the ship; 3) take the 3 hour connection rather than the 45 minute one; 4) when in doubt, build in more time to reduced potential damage to your plans.

You got it!!! My rules exactly!

Archived