Gown or cocktail dress

smoothecruz

I know this probably should be over in the beauty and fashion thread, I did post this question there, lots of views and no one answered.

I would like to know if on elegant/formal night do you see more woman wearing cocktail dresses or gowns? I'd like to wear a gown but don't want to feel over dressed.

I'll be sailing on the Miracle in July and am trying to figure out what type of dress to pack.

TIA

:)

Last cruise I was on, I saw a good bit of both.

I wore a 'gown' on captians night .. full length, black. I didnt feel overdressed at all ... actually I had a lot of fun kinda playing 'dress up' ya know ~ :)

Last cruise I was on, I saw a good bit of both.

I wore a 'gown' on captians night .. full length, black. I didnt feel overdressed at all ... actually I had a lot of fun kinda playing 'dress up' ya know ~ :)

LOL, yes I know, and thank you so much for you reply, now I have an excuse to go get a gown ;)

Is that what most women wear to captains night, a gown?

I know this probably should be over in the beauty and fashion thread, I did post this question there, lots of views and no one answered.

I would like to know if on elegant/formal night do you see more woman wearing cocktail dresses or gowns? I'd like to wear a gown but don't want to feel over dressed.

I'll be sailing on the Miracle in July and am trying to figure out what type of dress to pack.

TIA

:cool: :cool: Wear whatever you want and are most comfortable in. I tend to go for a nice cocktail type dress as do many others. However, there are those who goes the whole nine yards and wear gowns and tuxes, yet again there are those who will wear sundresses, capris etc - dockers and sports shirts. I am more of a casual resort cruiser. Keep in mind that it will be warm in July - my panty hose don't come out unless there is snow on the ground. Have a great cruise. We were on the Miracle a few years ago and loved it. Cindy:cool:

Either one. I always go the cocktail route, because I don't want to mess with the fancy gown. You will see both, you will not be uncomfortabel either way.

Well since I'm short and have to get peitite length for a gown, I'll try to find if I can't then it's a cocktail dress for me.

I'd like to get all decked out one night in a gown. If I do bring a gown I suppose I'll need a gament bag too, that's gonna be a pain.

TIA

To answer your question, I see lots of both on formal night. I always wear a long gown or fly-away pants and a sparkly top. You will fit in with either. I have seen long gowns, cocktail dresses, and even pageant gowns. Whatever you choose to wear will fit right in. Travelgirl

Wore a gown both formal nights. I wanted to, the couple that we were with...she didn't. I didn't care I wanted to dress up! That's one thing we don't get to do at home, dress up and go out to eat, so on the cruise that is what we look forward to. The thing I thought was funny was the upstairs seemed to have the majority of the crowd that didn't dress quite as formal as the people we could see downstairs.

You see both, but I prefer a cocktail dress. Both of mine are silk and do not take up much space which is very important given the airline baggage charges thiese days.

I rarely get to the opportunity to really dress up - usually just business casual for work and the occasional symphony, ballet or opera which inevitably fall on the coldest nights of the year. :rolleyes:

I'm planning to go with the 'whole 9 yards' for the first formal night - bought a gorgeous gown that I can't wait to wear. The second night I'm going to wear a fun turquoise silk cocktail dress.

It's our first cruise and we are going to make the most of it and have a great time! :D

I think it's your vacation and you should wear what you want. The way I see it - have fun! dress up! (if you want) and be the belle of the ball. ;)

Brandi

I have done gowns on our cruises. But I gust got a cocktail dress so I may give that a try on the second night on our next 7 day cruise.

Either one will do just fine... Just a word of advice don't buy anything that will be unconvertible while dinning.. I would stay in my dress all night long if it weren't for my shoes. :o

We are like most people nowadays the only place we get to dress up is on a cruise or a wedding (if its a formal one that is). So dress up all you want...You will not be out of place..

I've always done cocktail dresses, except for one formal night. That time, the airline had lost our luggage (only the bag with the formal attire) and I had to buy something onboard. I wore silk pants and a sparkly top. Planning on cocktail dresses for both formal nights this year, too. Thought about a gown this year, but just don't want to have to pay for any extra bag, just for the gown. Not to mention, traveling with kids, we'll already have enough luggage in tow, that I just can't bare another bag.

Happy sailing.

Archived