Toonjie's AOS Review

OMG, Wallenda! I watched on TV. And do you remember Bettina, who fell to her death in one of the plazas in Old San Juan? She was doing some sort of acrobatic feat on top of a pole. :eek:

Back to our regularly scheduled trip report...

First, thanks for the pictures. I was looking for a one-night post-cruise hotel and your pictures convinced me. Priceline should give you a kick-back for everyone who books because of you!! I got a great rate. My DH will love the place, I'm sure.

Do you know if they offer a shuttle (free or otherwise) to the airport, and if so, the cost and the hours of operation?

Also, do you know if they store luggage? We want to drop it before we get a car and head to the rainforest when we get off the ship on Sunday.

Any chance they'll let us check in early? Or, maybe we could buy a daypass (has anyone heard of this at this place)?

Thanks for all of the infor. I agree. Your wife looks gorgeous and you both seem like very loving, contented people!!

Blessings from Kentucky.

Karen;)

First, thanks for the pictures. I was looking for a one-night post-cruise hotel and your pictures convinced me. Priceline should give you a kick-back for everyone who books because of you!! I got a great rate. My DH will love the place, I'm sure.

Do you know if they offer a shuttle (free or otherwise) to the airport, and if so, the cost and the hours of operation?

Also, do you know if they store luggage? We want to drop it before we get a car and head to the rainforest when we get off the ship on Sunday.

Any chance they'll let us check in early? Or, maybe we could buy a daypass (has anyone heard of this at this place)?

Thanks for all of the infor. I agree. Your wife looks gorgeous and you both seem like very loving, contented people!!

Blessings from Kentucky.

Karen;)

Thanks! I wish I got a kickback! ;) There are no shuttles to and from hotels in San Juan to the airport, from what I understand it has something to do with the taxi unions. Taxis are cheap and regulated, so no worries. Some of the hotels further away, like the Wyndham Rio Mar near the rainforest, offer shuttles, but they are expensive. The Marriott does offer day passes, we did one 3 years ago and that is when I fell in love with the Marriott. It was around $40. We were able to check in around 11:00am, but if your room is not ready, they will store your luggage and you can use the facilities without a day pass. Just bring a gym type bag for what you need for the morning and they even have lockers in the fitness area so you can lock up stuff if you need to.

Oh, and you have my wife blushing with the compliments!

Toonjie, wonderful review! Makes me want to go back, but I will have to wait a bit. :D

Daghis, I was just at the Marriott in April and indeed, you can only get a rollaway in the King bed rooms. It is stated in all the literature in the room. When you pull up the website it states it allows a rollaway, but has combined the King and 2 doubles so that the information results are mixed.

Karen, there is no shuttle to the airport or the pier. Taxis are well used in San Juan. Yes, the Marriott will store luggage if you are staying there, and it is quite possible you might be able to check in early. I have done both. Enjoy!!

Jen

Thanks so much.

I have to confess. While bidding for my precruise stay, I inadvertently unchecked the resort key and I ended up with the Normandie. It has mixed reviews at best. We'll be okay there for two nights, but I wish I had been more careful. For not much more money, we could have stayed at a resort.

Live and learn!

Does anyone have anything positive to say about the Normandie (I've read all the negative posts):)

:rolleyes:

Thanks so much.

I have to confess. While bidding for my precruise stay, I inadvertently unchecked the resort key and I ended up with the Normandie. It has mixed reviews at best. We'll be okay there for two nights, but I wish I had been more careful. For not much more money, we could have stayed at a resort.

Live and learn!

Does anyone have anything positive to say about the Normandie (I've read all the negative posts):)

:rolleyes:

It's close to OSJ! ;) I've also read posts of people pretty much hanging out at the Hilton next door with no problems. It's also a cool art deco building. It would be great if one day it got a huge renovation inside!

Sunday, May 11th “The Adventure Seekers Unite” Embarkation Day

The beds at the Marriott are so comfy, they’re the kind of comfy that you just melt into and all your cares melt away! We awake at 6:00am and are so refreshed, partly I think because 6:00am was so much later than the 2:30am wake up call we had the night before, partly because the beds gave us such a good night’s sleep, partly because more light was coming in around the edge of the curtains than expected and as the sun rose, it seemed later than it actually was. Throw in the excitement of embarkation day and I guess you have all the reasons that our well-intentioned day to sleep in became an early-riser. We opened the curtains and looked out, surprisingly there were already a few people swimming in the ocean and enjoying the surf. The swells are noticeably smaller than the day before, so I tell DW that I’ll help her get out past the breakers. I first went down and took some pictures of the pool area and lobby and the front of the hotel, there was hardly anyone around and it was a great picture taking opportunity. I also got coffee, decaf for DW and 2 really yummy Danishes and a great blueberry muffin from the coffee shop in the lobby. We relax a bit and then head down to the beach to swim. I get DW safely past the breakers and we enjoy calmly rolling over the swells. The AOS pretty much runs like clockwork according to most posts on CC. You can count on getting onboard starting at 11:30am so there is no use getting there before 11:00am and our plan is to relax and enjoy the Marriott as much as possible. We swim for around an hour and head up to the room. Mom calls and she is all ready and she went down to the lobby for coffee as well. She leaves her bag in the room for me to pick up and after getting dressed, I call for the valet to get the car and get my mom’s bag and head down to the lobby. Mom and I drive to the pier with all of our luggage which we had left in the car except for 1 bag each. Our plan is not to have to transfer all the luggage to the rental car van by making an extra trip and with traffic light on a Sunday morning, we make it to the pier from the Marriott in 10 minutes. It’s around 9:45 and there is a steady stream of taxis leaving with passengers from the previous cruise-I know I’ll be in the same position all too soon, a week’s cruise goes by much too fast!

As we pull in, the lady at the gate directing traffic tries to signal me to go into the parking area, but I follow the taxis since I am just dropping of luggage with the porters. I make eye contact with a porter and start to unload the suitcases, but by this time the lady at the gate has caught up with me and is yelling in Spanish, I tell her that I’m just dropping off luggage, a fact she can plainly see, but she keeps on yelling obviously not understanding English. The porter I had made eye contact with says that “she says, you have to move, she doesn’t care what you say.” I tell him, “I don’t care what she says because I don’t speak Spanish,” he cracks up laughing and grabs all our bags and assures us our bags will be fine. I tip him $15 and he smiles and is still ridiculing the cranky gate lady with his look. There are already a few people lined up to get on the ship and I know they have another hour to wait with nowhere to sit-poor souls!

We head back to the Marriott to pick up DW and on the way swing by the nearby Shell station to fill the rental car. The pumps don’t take credit cards so I have to go up to the window. The attendant has obviously pulled the night shift because he is sound asleep. I have to tap on the window to wake him up. We had only used about $10 worth of gas and in the amount of time it took to pump that amount, the attendant had again fallen fast asleep! I had to tap on the glass again and he ran the card in a half-stupor. We’re back at the Marriot at around 10:15am and I go up to get DW and make a final check of the room, we always double check to make sure we don’t leave anything.

Charlie Car Rental has an office by the Condado Plaza where they shuttle you to the pier when you drop off your car. We arrive there at around 10:40am, find out where to park the car and get our stuff out as we wait for the van. The van is there within a few minutes and we load it up and head to the pier, this time for real and this time slipping past the gate lady incognito!

It’s around 11:00am so we are right on schedule. We find a wheelchair marked Serenade of the Seas and a porter tells us we can use it for mom, just return it to the same place when we are done. We get on the back of the line, which by now has some 30 or 40 people in it. After a few minutes, a porter comes and gets us and brings us up to the front where some other handicapped people are waiting. Mom does it again! We’re now in front of all the people in line when we dropped off the luggage-poor souls! The line opens shortly after 11:30am and we go through security and get in the Platinum/Diamond line and there is no one in it so we go to the attendant right away. As I mentioned, there was no need to show the pregnancy waiver, they swipe our card and we’re off. We are on the ship by 11:45am and take the elevator to the 10th floor and wheel my mom all the way back to her cabin, 1388, port corner aft, since her scooter is waiting there. We used CareVacations for her scooter rental the past 2 years and had no problems, both times the scooter was waiting in the cabin. This time it is a really nice one that looks almost brand new. We were about to return the wheelchair when we noticed there was a service closet where they were putting a bunch of wheelchairs that also said Serenade on them, so they told us we could keep ours in our cabin which made it great for those ports when we didn’t want to take the scooter off the ship! We dropped our carryons that didn’t have valuables in our cabin, 1688, starboard corner aft, since we couldn’t find our steward yet. We’re up to the Windjammer shortly after noon and have a wonderful lunch. It finally feels like we have arrived! We are all tired from having to wheel my mom around and DW had to carry a lot of luggage while I wheeled mom and she got pretty tired! Nothing a scooter and a good lunch couldn’t cure! As soon as we finish we make our way to Portofino to make reservations. Surprisingly it is a little after 1:00pm and they are almost out of Wednesday night reservations, seems everyone knows Wednesday is the weakest night! We make them for 6:30pm, which was perfect, it just gives us time to get back from St. Lucia, clean up and go to the ice show. We tour the ship a little and head to the fitness center with all intents of signing me up for some spinning classes, but they switched the time from last year when they were at 3:00pm to 8:00am this year. I decide to save the money and work out on my own so I don’t have to get up early on the day at sea. (8:00am was our departure time anyway for all the days we were in port) We take a bunch of pics while the ship is still un-crowded and the next stop is the library, where DW stocks up on a bunch of books to read on our balcony. We check out our dining room table, it’s a 12-seater, deck 5, the first time ever at a table so large, we’ll see how that goes? We head back to the cabin and DW unpacks and I head out to take more pics.

Yours truly in the Promenade

IMG_5789.jpg

I head to the solarium pool to meet mom and then go to the pre-meet and mingle which was to be at the Skybar at 3:30pm. We had decided on the name “Adventure Seekers” and it was great to meet the people we had been conversing with for a year. Around 15-20 people showed up while I was there and our leader, Judy, had even made name tags. This get together was better than most of the actual meet and mingles I’ve been to! We have a great group of great people. There was even a labor and delivery nurse that had given us her cabin number and a bunch of tips and told us to call if we ever had a problem. Turns out her specialty was pre-mature labor. Fortunately we didn’t need her skills the entire cruise!

Mom enjoying Solarium hottub

IMG_5845.jpg

We met our cabin steward, Linda, and she was just the best ever! We sort out our dry cleaning and pressing and it is all back in our closet the next afternoon. No worrying about wrinkles! One change Linda tells us is that now they only give you ice with the evening cleaning of the rooms unless you request it both times, which we do and ice is always there the rest of the cruise. One of our favorite platinum benefits, the bathrobes, were already waiting in our closet! After a little relaxation in the cabin, we attempt to leave early for the muster drill so we don’t have to walk down the stairs, but the staff already has the elevators blocked off. Muster goes smoothly and Captain Per Kjonso comes on and is very personable and funny. He says we’re only waiting for a few people and will probably take off early, throwing ropes shortly after 8:00pm or so. After muster, DW and I walk about 50 feet to the aft of the ship so we don’t have to wait in line to get back upstairs. There’s some benches back there and DW rests on them while I take some pics of the port area. When the crowds have died down, we go back to the cabin and relax until shortly after 8:00 when I head out to decks 11 and 12 for sailaway.

IMG_5857.jpg

Sailaway from San Juan is one of the nicest anywhere, in my opinion. The forts and walls of OSJ are all lit up and there’s always a palpable energy in the air as the sun begins to set. The first sign we are about to embark is the spotlight over the flybridge illuminates a rope at the front of the ship. A guy jumps out of a pickup and begins the process of throwing them off. It’s interesting to hangout and watch newbies try to figure out how the ship moves sideways. I bite my tongue. The ones I’m near guess right about the bowthrusters, but have no clue we have azipods that are now rotating 180 degrees and pull us away from the dock in a fraction of the time that it took with bow and stern thrusters.

Condado fades away

IMG_5868.jpg

In a few minutes we are approaching the Carnival Destiny and you can hear a few woos as we approach and those woos are soon joined by hundreds as we near and load of woos respond from the AOS pool area in response. After we pass by La Forteleza, I head down to our aft cabin to join DW in watching the rest of sailaway from our balcony. We sail by El Morro and the pilot boat fades off into the distance.

Approaching Carnival Destiny

IMG_5878.jpg

They are really screaming at this point!

IMG_5883.jpg

We head down to dinner at 9:00pm and all the tablemates are there and my mom has already told them everything there is to know about us! DW and I are in the middle of the table on one side. There’s a couple in their late 50’s and he is a political science prof. and they are a perfect match with my mom. Across the other side is a daughter in her 40’s and her older parents from Bayamon, Puerto Rico, maybe in their 70’s. The daughter speaks English very well, but the parents don’t, but are perfectly content talking amongst each other. On the other end of the table is a family of 4, mom and dad and kids, son around college age and daughter 29, so perfect age for DW. It’s a pretty good match, but overall I wouldn’t want a table that big again unless it was all our group that knew each other because it’s too hard for people at opposite ends of the table to have conversations. Waiter is nice, he’s from Greneada and says to call him the “Spiceman.” Assistant waiter didn’t seem to speak English too well, but was good. They both disappear while getting the appetizers and there must have been a snafu in the kitchen because there was around a 20 minute delay. Vidalia onion tart was very good, they should just call it a quiche though since the name doesn’t do it justice. The tomato soup is excellent as well. DW got the chicken and it was great. My mom and I get the prime rib and they must have been trying to make up for the delay, or else given us the whole rest of the side of beef since we were the last people being served! It’s the kind of hunk of beef that could tip over Fred Flinstone’s car! It’s really too big, but good. I’m so full afterward that for the rest of the week I always order lighter fare, chicken, salmon, lamb, turkey, just no more beef! We don’t finish desert until 10:45pm or so and we are late getting to the show, just in time to see comedian Derrick Cameron, who was very funny. After the show, we head to the bow of the ship and there is no one there! “It’s a great romantic spot, just no saying, “I’m the king of the world!” We head back to the cabin for a good night’s sleep. Just then I remember they have forgotten my extension cord and distilled water for my cpap machine. (Cpap is what DW refers to as my anti-snoring machine, it pumps air to keep positive pressure so you don’t snore, or more importantly have sleep apnea.) I had read on CC that many had requested extension cords, since there is only one outlet in the room, by the vanity. I had received an email from the special needs department and the cord and water were supposed to be waiting. The water is no big deal since all the ship’s water is distilled. I call about the cord and they transfer me to housekeeping and they say they are out. I call back and get transferred to the Purser’s office and they transfer me back to housekeeping. I give up, fortunately my sleep apnea isn’t that bad. Just then there’s a knock on the door and it’s the lady from housekeeping that I had spoken to. She brought me her own personal powerstrip. What a great crew! I was just about to write my first negative experience and they turned it around and made it one of the best. Gotta love the AOS!

Sculpture depicting a bait ball:

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

DW wants a dress like this to hide baby bump!

IMG_5801.jpg

Passing the Destiny:

IMG_5887.jpg

New banners in the Promenade since last year's cruise:

IMG_5787.jpg

Library and internet cafe:

IMG_5808.jpg

Toonjie, these pictures and review are great!!

anxiously awaiting the next installment!! :)

thanks for the info about the Marriott too...we have 10 in our group that will be staying there pre AND post cruise...I think everyone will be more than satisfied!! :)

Marsha

It's close to OSJ! ;) I've also read posts of people pretty much hanging out at the Hilton next door with no problems. It's also a cool art deco building. It would be great if one day it got a huge renovation inside!

Yes, I've read that too. We stayed at the Carib precruise last time and really loved it! We'll probably eat over there and do day excursions on Saturday.

Your review is incredible to me. This will be cruise number six for us but our first on RCI. I never thought I'd find another cruise line I'd love as much as Celebrity, but the decor (from your pictures) really looks inviting.

I think we'll rent a car from Charlie's. It's good to know they have a shuttle to the port.

We usually get to the ports at 10:30 but if we'll be standing outside, I think we'll wait until 11:00, depending on the weather.

Is dinner seating at the assigned time on the first night? We have first seating which I believe is 6:00. Can we pick up tickets to an ice show the first night? And what time are the regular shows the first night?

Thanks for answering my myriad of questions too!

Karen in Kentucky

Toonj - your pictures are simply awesome and reflect what an amazing ship the AOS is :D The pics of the Stellaris are wonderful and makes me wish I was there NOW!!!!

Your DW is lovely and I want to wish you both all the best and a healthy and safe delivery of your baby!!!

Yes, I've read that too. We stayed at the Carib precruise last time and really loved it! We'll probably eat over there and do day excursions on Saturday.

Your review is incredible to me. This will be cruise number six for us but our first on RCI. I never thought I'd find another cruise line I'd love as much as Celebrity, but the decor (from your pictures) really looks inviting.

I think we'll rent a car from Charlie's. It's good to know they have a shuttle to the port.

We usually get to the ports at 10:30 but if we'll be standing outside, I think we'll wait until 11:00, depending on the weather.

Is dinner seating at the assigned time on the first night? We have first seating which I believe is 6:00. Can we pick up tickets to an ice show the first night? And what time are the regular shows the first night?

Thanks for answering my myriad of questions too!

Karen in Kentucky

Thanks! Dinner seating the first night is Main: 6:30pm Late: 9:00pm

There is one show for both seatings the first night at 10:30pm

Ice show tickets are available starting Mondays at 9:00am outside Studio B and at the Purser's desk. (Also from the concierge if you're Diamond.)

Hope this helps.

Toonjie~ loving your review so much we just booked a back to back for Sept/Oct '09. We sailed the Adventure of the Sea this past April and had such a great time. I have been trying to find your pic's on photobucket, but not having any luck, can you please assist me with this? I'm registered, just cant find you, lol. Loved your review of the Marriott, stayed there pre cruise and those beds were awsome! I just wish I would have remembered to check what kind of mattress it was, lol

Thanks! Dinner seating the first night is Main: 6:30pm Late: 9:00pm

There is one show for both seatings the first night at 10:30pm

Ice show tickets are available starting Mondays at 9:00am outside Studio B and at the Purser's desk. (Also from the concierge if you're Diamond.)

Hope this helps.

It was very helpful. Thanks again! Karen

Toonjie~ loving your review so much we just booked a back to back for Sept/Oct '09. We sailed the Adventure of the Sea this past April and had such a great time. I have been trying to find your pic's on photobucket, but not having any luck, can you please assist me with this? I'm registered, just cant find you, lol. Loved your review of the Marriott, stayed there pre cruise and those beds were awsome! I just wish I would have remembered to check what kind of mattress it was, lol

The album's not ready yet, as soon as it is, I'll post a link.

Thanks for the great review! It's like being there all over again. My DW (Bean72) and I were on this cruise. We saw you at the meet and mingle. We were at the far end of the circle of chairs from where you guys were but didn't get a chance to actually meet you. We had such a great time on this cruise that we booked on AOS again for next Sept (OH SO FAR AWAY!!)

I look foward to the rest of the installments of your review!!

I am enjoying your cruise thru your pictures. You have some of the most beautiful pictures I have seen. They are clear and even in lo lighting the color and quality is great. I hope to see more from your cruise. What type of camera do u use?

Cheers

toonjie you're review is hilarious! i'm booked on AOS for aug 09 (sooo far away ik!) but now i can't wait thanks a lot!

how was dinner all the other nights? i'm nervous for sharing my table with other people i don't know.. last time they ruined my dinner they were so boring!

Archived