January vs March

Smile31787

Hello,

My husband and I are looking into booking a 4 day cruise on the Sensation out of Orlando. We just did a 7 day cruise out of San Juan on the Destiny this past March for our honeymoon and loved it! It was my husbands first and my third. I have never been on a cruise that leaves out of Florida, but my husband and I have 2 free airline vouchers that we have to use by March 2009 and they only go to selective cities within the US.

The 4 day cruise goes to Freeport, Bahamas and Nassau, Bahamas.

Being I am still enrolled in college we are wanting to go over either my x-mas/new year break or my spring break. Both of us have never traveled to anywhere tropical in January nor have we been to the Bahamas before. We were wondering what your thoughts and opinions were on traveling to the Bahamas in January vs March. Is the weather better in one month than the other, or is it usually the same?? We can save about $300 if we go in January, but we are hesitant until we can find out more about the weather (temperature, if it is hot in January or more cool, etc).

Thanks for your help!!

Amanda

We cruised in early Feb. out of Calli. It was warm in the day, but got pretty chilly at night.

For the Bahamas in Jan. figure on mid to high 70's in the day, and probably low 60s at night. In March probably low 80's in the day and 60's at night.

(From Carnival's port of call page)

Just depends on your comfort level. I like cool weather (comes from many 100 degree Florida summers), so I would probably go for the Jan. cruise and save the "fat cash".

Thanks, I will have to go look at carnivals port of call page.

We are from Minnesota, so really, anything is better then below zero weather! LoL! We just don't want to travel in January and have it be in the low 60's the entire time we are there.

What is the temp like in Orlando in January? 60s? We are going to go down a day early and stay 2 days later to make it a full 7 week vacation.

We are from Minnesota, so really, anything is better then below zero weather! LoL! We just don't want to travel in January and have it be in the low 60's the entire time we are there.

What is the temp like in Orlando in January? 60s? We are going to go down a day early and stay 2 days later to make it a full 7 week vacation.

I live in the Orlando area. Weather in the January can be very nice, or even cold. I have even seen seen snow (not much, but it was something to see) 3 times in the last 40 years. If we are going to get cold weather, we usually get it either in December or January. Sorry. I can promise no Zeros, but Orlando is not in the tropics. January is a great time for doing the tourist thing. There are lots of heated pools. Check it out before you book.

Great! Thanks for all your help!

I think we will go with January! If the weather is in the 70's/80's in the Bahamas that is what matters! I can live with the 50's in the Orlando area, that would be better than what is going on in Minnesota!

Thanks again!

Amanda

We did the Caribbean Princess late January in 07, and the weather was mid 80s every day except one day. Unfortuntately, the day the weather dipped was the private island, brrrrr on the water. The rest of the time we had unusually hot weather and calm seas. Wonderful smooth cruise.

Personally, being from the Midwest I'd choose March for a couple of reasons. When you return you'll be subjected to winter for a much shorter time period and I believe your chances of nice warm weather are better in March. Also, as long as you're flying - why not try the 5 day on Imagination. We just got done with this itinerary and it was FABULOUS. You'll still get to Nassau but you'll also have adventures on Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay - Carnivals private island. Imagination just went throught the refurb so its nice and fresh.

Personally, being from the Midwest I'd choose March for a couple of reasons. When you return you'll be subjected to winter for a much shorter time period and I believe your chances of nice warm weather are better in March. Also, as long as you're flying - why not try the 5 day on Imagination. We just got done with this itinerary and it was FABULOUS. You'll still get to Nassau but you'll also have adventures on Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay - Carnivals private island. Imagination just went throught the refurb so its nice and fresh.

I second that! I went on the 5-day Imagination in January & absolutely loved it! We had gorgeous weather the whole time (high 70s/low 80s, no rain at all!), and it was a great break from the winter weather here in MI! On the lower note, when we got back, it was only 3 degrees here & I wanted to be back on the ship ASAP! My vote would be to go in January, and maybe think about a 5-day like the OP suggested!

Nope, In Orlando the temperatures fluctuate quite a bit in January. You can get 35-40 degrees in the morning and then it goes up to the 50-60's in the middle of the day and back down at night. You might get lucky and it could be in the 70's the entire time you are there. Bring one or two sweaters and maybe a jacket, just in case. I know if does not sound too cold to you, being from Minnesota, however for us, Floridians, it is pretty cold.

The Bahamas will be more like Miami weather in January, nice and cool, probably in the 60's at night and 70's during the day.

Have fun!!!

Also, as long as you're flying - why not try the 5 day on Imagination. We just got done with this itinerary and it was FABULOUS. You'll still get to Nassau but you'll also have adventures on Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay - Carnivals private island. Imagination just went throught the refurb so its nice and fresh.

I will have to look into this one. I actually just met someone today who just went on this cruise last week! They told me a lot about Half Moon Cay and how much they loved it! I am going to go look into this...

We were on the Costa Magica Jan 2007. The average age on this ship was about 65. A lot of the snow birds cruise in January. Now being it would be during Christmas break and a shorter cruise you may have a younger crowd. The best thing about traveling in January was getting away from the Midwest winter! That alone was worth the age on the ship!:)

Archived