Solstice Dec 14 2008 non inaugural pricing?

like2cruz

I am booked on the December 14th Solstice and unfortunately can't move my dates to one of the bargain sailing dates, or the Thanksgiving new inaugural date. I called Celebrity and asked whether there would be a price reduction because this is now a non inaugural sailing. I was told that there was no information about reducing the price of that sailing date, and the Captains Club person I spoke with was not even aware this now sailed over Thanksgiving.

While I'm booked on several other upcoming cruises, and there are many more I could have chosen instead, I booked this specific cruise for the UNIQUE one-of-kind experience it offers. I was willing to pay more for this EXPERIENCE. Celebrity has continually enticed people little by little with tidbits about the Solstice, and even had priority booking for Captain's Club members opening on the summer Solstice 2007 - quite a nice marketing gimmick I must admit. I booked this cruise the first hour reservations were accepted, and have been eagerly awaiting the EXPERIENCE of this cruise.

Similar to an opening night play, it doesn't have the unique excitement seeing it three weeks later, when it's been reviewed by the media and fellow cruisers. I didn't chose the Solstice for it's itinerary, or time of year, but for the FIRST SAILING. I ddn't expect perfection on the first sailing; rather the shared excitement of the unknown.

Now that that will not happen for me, I'm left with the decision to sail on Dec 14th or cancel. Should I sail this date, why would any reasonable person be expected to pay an inflated rate of 1.5 to 2 times the price for the two weeks prior (granted the inaugural price would be the same).

At minimum, I think Celebrity could have shown more interest and concern for its loyal passengers and offered a cruise credit, speciality dining with wine, etc for passengers not able to switch cruises, who booked in good faith from day one, as well as the price reduction to the much lower rates the week prior. My two cents.

Hey Steve, I have to agree with you.

I was looking on the bright side - but that was easier until I looked at the new pricing being offered. GULP! The bright side dimmed a whole hell of a lot when I pulled out the calculator. Yay for those who have flexible schedules or don't have major $ investments in the 14th date already - but for the rest of us, it is painful to see what we are paying. They should have lowered the 12/14 pricing to match the other new vanilla sailings.

It is tough to swallow that I am paying twice what I would one week earlier for same experience. I only wish I could change - but we can't.

I have to think about this - that's a lot of money and the economy has tanked since we first booked. I can tell you what will happen if/when my DH finds out. I know it wasn't the intent - but not bringing the pricing in line (immediately for those already booked) seems a little like price gouging.

Lets hope they quickly rectify it. I see it has already come down a little - they should have matched the pricing out of the box so they don't lose business.

Some are leaving and going to other lines for better itineraries - and saving a bundle in the process.

While they are at it - they ought to toss out a little good will and send those who couldn't change - the maiden voyage trinkets - better yet (I hate that logo stuff) give me a choice - offer the inaugural trinkets (that I know some really want) - or offer a credit on board.

The OP is absolutely right in feeling the way he does. He is paying a premium price for a cruise that is sailing during a low season (i.e., low price) week. He paid more because it was an inaugural sailing. Now that it's not, the pricing should be more in line with what those who are sailing on the December 7 sailing are paying.

The weeks following Thanksgiving but before Christmas are notoriously the lowest priced weeks of the year. Why should anybody have to pay the same as what they were paying for an inaugural cruise?

Jo-Ann

Hi Everyone !

As the 12/14 sailing is no longer the Inaugural Sailing, it should lose some of its appeal. As cruisinelswhere noted, the 12/14 pricing did come down somewhat today, so there is some good news out there.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on pricing over the next several weeks. If many of the original 12/14 passengers move to other Solstice sailings, 12/14 prices still have a decent chance of declining further.

In fairness to Celebrity, a great of pricing and changes have taken place with Solstice in the past 36 hours, so a little patience will go a long way.

To those who are staying with the 12/14 sailing, I wish you a wonderful Cruise !

Well prices have gone down significantly, and that does that some of the sting out of no longer being on the first sailing.

I would hope Celebrity also gives those loyal customers who booked this cruise a year ago with high expectations some other consideration for missing out on the novelty of being the first on board.:rolleyes:

Just too add that we UK cruisers don't have the luxury of TAs that keep in touch like the US we can't cancel and rebook without loosing our £200 deposit when speaking to our TA yesterday after hearing the news of change they didn't know anything about it and when they phoned Celebrity UK they were non the wiser just told us to wait for a letter being sent out within the next week,

So if we wanted to change dates the prices of the new dates will have risen by that time.

We feel exactly as our fellow posters regarding the pricing and Celebrity and will see how the price drop and compare to other lines with better itinerary as you say why pay a premium price for a standard cruise.

Hi All, celebrity have posted the following updated prices today, a big difference in 45 minutes: These prices exclude taxes, gratuties etc

Prices from celebrity website today in Pounds

31/05/2008 Time12:58 PM

Interior Ocean View Balcony Suite

Nov 30-Dec 07, 2008 393.00 GBP 434.00 GBP 434.00 GBP 762.00

Dec 14- 21, 2008 1089.00 GBP 1190.00 GBP 1225.00 GBP SOLD OUT GBP

31/05/2008 Time 13:45 PM

Nov 30-Dec 07, 2008 SOLD OUT 388.00 GBP 398.00 GBP 918.00 GBP

Dec 14- 21, 2008 626.00 GBP 683.00 GBP 740.00 GBP 1,481.00 GBP

David & Lynn

Ugh! Disregard my last post. Mis-read prices this morning. Not at all where I thought they were.:mad: Thought I was looking at 12/14 but was actually looking at 12/7. My bad.

I believe fares will go down to these rates within the next two weeks but we're not there yet.:(

If fare's don't go down to at least match the 11/30 and 12/7 rates I'm going to cancel.

I went into the website but couldn't find this pricing that you all are talking about.

could you direct me please to the correct site for prices?

thanks.

Sadly, the non-inaugural cruise still has inaugural (premium) pricing. The pricing others are excited about are for the 11/30 and 12/7 sailings. If you can take advantage of those, I would jump on it.

If you are stuck on 12/14 cruise, I recommend calling customer service and emailing Celebrity. The supervisor in customer service I spoke with today seemed empathetic with the situation and encouraged me to send an email to Celebrity. Everyone says the pricing will drop - but it seems silly on Celebrity's part not to go ahead and offer more competitive pricing to those who are already booked. As it is, our party is looking at other options (competitors and land-based) for that week with much more reasonable pricing. If they were smart, they wouldn't want us looking . . .

here is the email for those in the same boat (sorry for the pun)

web_cruise_comments@celebritycruises.com

I have this cruise on hold. I am expecting the price to drop near to the prices of the previous couple weeks. Should I go ahead and pay the deposit expecting the price to go down and have the cabin I want or should I wait a couple weeks for the prices to drop? I'm talking a difference of $1700.

I have this cruise on hold. I am expecting the price to drop near to the prices of the previous couple weeks. Should I go ahead and pay the deposit expecting the price to go down and have the cabin I want or should I wait a couple weeks for the prices to drop? I'm talking a difference of $1700.

Well, as long as you don't mind them holding onto your deposit...go for it.

I don't have enough experience to tell you which way it will go - but suffice it to say a number of us are looking at the new HAL ship at significant savings - as well as other options. IMHO $1,700 difference is ridiculous. You could take a whole additional week vacation (offseason, anyway!) Or get an amazing suite and be totally pampered.

I am making this up - but I am guessing nothing will happen over the weekend, and we won't see changes until M-F. Everyone says be patient - but the other ships will start filling up (as people flock away from this date), so I think I may put deposits down to get the cabins I want. I am connecting with the rest of the family over the next few days to see what everyone wants to do - given the change in the economy, I would be shocked if this isn't the catalyst to make us dump the idea of 12/14 Solstice altogether. Just ridiculous price when other lines and similar dates are so much lower.

Ugh - now I have to learn the language and layout of new lines. I've not cruised Princess before and I did cruise HAL once. Can't say I loved the experience. But at half the price, I can suck it up!

We are stuck with this date - could play with a few days before/after but that's about all the flexibility if we want to go with our entire brood.

Good luck!

Jerseygirl3

Hi, glad to see your post. Maybe this is a lesson learned about the way X does things. I'm going to look into buying HAL stock if they offer an incentive don't need to keep both.

If I survive this stress & still stay with the Equinox TA I'll surely look you up.

The other Jerseygirl, but you're still the 1st

Regards twojerseygirl Natalie

Prices for our Jan 25th sailing are also the same-- & we lost a few from our cc board to the cheaper weeks--happy for them but we could not switch!

Apparently HAL also has a new ship and its rates are much more competitive than =X= at least for the week I have booked.

You might want to take a peek - the ship isn't built yet, but the blog is awesome.

Check it out - Eurodam - I've not been a big HAL fan, but with pricing half of what =X= is charging; suddenly I am a fan!

I doubt that there will be price adjustments until after June 12th, if any then. They will wait and see what is happening with the folks who have an opportunity to move to the inaugural cruise or the 11/30 and 12/7 cruises. I know we are not moving to the inaugural cruise and there would be significant savings by moving to one of the others; but I am really leaning towards just cancelling the whole trip. We are not big on 7 day sailings in the Caribbean, just too short for the trip to the east coast plus have been there many times so really nothing new to see. The inaugural experience was the attraction but not now.

Greetings, I have news to report – I emailed and called =X= today. I did so Saturday, but that didn’t work out so well. Today was much better!

First, I must tell you two pieces of advice I received when I spoke with the very pleasant agent. I even asked her what to tell others in my boat and mentioned Cruise Critic. She offered this:

1. Please have faith (her words). Celebrity has a good track record of righting wrongs and the process of evaluating and updating pricing has to go through analysts, etc. and it takes some time. She indicated she thought my concerns were valid - and she had faith in her company to fix them.

2. Second – and more importantly, she suggested I advise other passengers to call as well - especially before they move to another line. She said the comments and concerns really are shared with the powers that be – and will escalate the matter so that a decision will be swift.

In other words, it doesn’t matter how compelling I presented my issue . . . and while they are addressing my issue to my satisfaction (I think), it doesn’t take care of the rest of my fellow passengers. So, plan to carve out an hour (took me 55 minutes) and call Customer Service - when that doesn't work, ask to be transferred to Executive Resolution. Expect this person also not to have authority - except to transfer you to the real person who does - the magic 3rd person - the 3rd time was a charm! I recommend calling during regular business hours - maybe an hour after the phones open – I figure the best staff work at peak times and you are likely to get the best results then. After the cup of coffee - but not at end of day when they are exhausted from talking to folks like us :)

I sent an email and called, fyi. I presented as compelling argument as I could – and treated the rep with respect and politeness. Having the info on the other cruises (HAL has new ship, Princess and RCCL) I think may have helped too.

Good luck – lets hope we will still see each other on 12/14. I know some are canceling because this cruise is no longer a special occasion – I understand and am so sorry that we won’t cruise together. Honestly? Canceling is still an option for us – I spent most of Saturday researching other options. We are waiting until the rest in our party have a chance to evaluate the news, and look at options that will make everyone happy.

I'll post more on the roll call.

I may be wrong, but it's my guess pricing for the 12/14 'non-inaugural inaugural' sailing will continue to drop, and perhaps dramatically once the June 12 window expires for passengers to switch to the 11/23 sailing. Once that two week window expires, and everyone originally booked on 12/14 has had their chance to move to 11/23, then I believe the 12/14 departure will no longer be priced and treated as a premium sailing. Just my hunch and purely speculation! Hopefully all it's going to take is a little patience....

Beav, it looks like inside cabin pricing went down overnight on

the Dec 14th sailing. I know most people don't book insides but

maybe the other cabin catagories will follow along over the next

few days..so you are correct in your assumption.

Ohhhh, that's good news. It would take a little sting out of the disappointment over the inaugural if the pricing was competitive. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't fix already - it just adds insult to injury.

Interesting, when I look at =X= site, and I click on rates and dates for Solstice in December, sometimes the 12/7 sailing is missing and sometimes the 12/14 is missing.

Yet, I can see it when I search, then click on "show more details", - on this window the 12/14 sailing is missing. If you then click on "dates and pricing" the 12/14 is also missing.

What's up?

It will be interesting to see if they actually wait until the 12th before opening those dates to the public. Forgive me for being a little pessimistic but my faith in Celebrity has been tested in the last week.

I think mass emailing is the way to go. I am sure other members remember when Celebrity was planning to charge a fee for the Thallostherapy Pool on the M Class Ships.

We all emiled to the powers that be against this new fee. They paid attention and the fee was dropped.

Archived