Is it wise to pay gratuities before a cruise?

Dowunder

A question probably asked before, but as I am new to this cruise caper and from a country where tipping is not obligatory, I wondered if any experienced cruisers have paid gratuities before and after the cruise and noticed any difference in the service. I usually only tip if the service has been great and I can't help thinking that the ship's staff would have some way of finding out if the tips had been paid in advance.

If you are talking about pre-paying before you leave home, I think it is just a matter of personal preference. Some people like to have almost every detail of their vacation paid ahead of time and some don't. If they are paid ahead of time, your on board account will reflect what you have actually spent while on board (drinks, spa services etc. & a gratuity is added to those items on the spot) You might want to consider the conversion factor between Australian and US money. I do not think you will find a difference in the service you will receive.

If you are talking about giving a cash tip for some special service you expect from your room steward, butler etc. some people like to do that, thinking they will get better service. Then again, I've read where a butler will sometimes not accept a pre-payment. I've read that some people look at this kind of pre-payment as a "bribe" which is insulting to a professional butler, as if he will not perform well without a pre-payment, who would prefer you experience his services and tip him accordingly.

On board you will be asked toward the end of the cruise if you prefer to charge your tips to your on board account, or prefer to give out individual envelopes to your steward and assistant, your waiter and asst. waiter, the head housekeeper, the maitre d' etc. When you choose the automatic tip, I know that the service staff is informed that you have paid at that time, because I've received thanks both from the room steward and waiter. When you choose to do it in the envelope by cash I would guess that there is a greater chance the man/woman you are tipping may actually receive the surplus if any. Otherwise, all the tips go into a pool, I understand, for employees who work in the buffet or the open seating at breakfast and lunch in the dining room.

I'm one who thinks pre-tipping is more like a bribe to do good work rather than a thank you for excellent service. And one thing to remember, in some cultures it's considered an insult to pre-tip, and since there are so many cultures represented on cruise ships, better to err on the side of caution.

We have gone both ways and do not see any difference in service - always excellent. As to tipping for great service, I usually add an extra amount above the recommended amount for excellent service or special assistance. Be aware, as in most US services, the crew receive relatively low pay and the tips make a BIG difference in what they get. I realize in Europe and Australia (was there last year for business and LOVED it), tipping is done for special service, but aboard ship as in the US, tipping makes up a major part of their pay.

The above note is correct about the cocktail and buffet servers; the tip for drinks and so on go into the general account and split, so if we have a 'favorite' (usually a special bartender or waitress) at a bar/lounge we go to to socialize and dance, I'll tip cash directly/discreatly to them - my experience is they greatly appreicate it, making sure you are always serviced and remember your drinks. One young man told us we could order a bottle of wine and keep it at the lounge and use that instead of ordering by-the-drink which saved us. That was after I tipped him for taking care of us. We do this early on.

I don't consider it a bribe - maybe the professional butler wouldn't like it, but the wait staff greatly appreciate it so they can send more home.

On our first cruise on a Carnival ship (1992?), before they had tipping added to your bill, you'd get envelopes to put cash in and give to your waiter/asst waiter/matre de/room steward/asst. You'd do this on the last night and leave the envelope on the tables. We had a couple who were a bit loud and obnoxious (and he never took his ballcap off until I pointed out the sun had set 2hrs ago and we were inside!) sharing the table with us. When they got to the table and saw us and the other couples put our envelopes next to our plates, they asked what they were. We told them, and he stood up and said he forgot his and had to go back and get his. He asked his wife to go with him. As they left, I noted we wouldn't see them again and our poor Indian waiter would get stiffed. He was. Sad. A few bucks off us, but important to them.

Denny

We have gone both ways and do not see any difference in service - always excellent. As to tipping for great service, I usually add an extra amount above the recommended amount for excellent service or special assistance. Be aware, as in most US services, the crew receive relatively low pay and the tips make a BIG difference in what they get. I realize in Europe and Australia (was there last year for business and LOVED it), tipping is done for special service, but aboard ship as in the US, tipping makes up a major part of their pay.

The above note is correct about the cocktail and buffet servers; the tip for drinks and so on go into the general account and split, so if we have a 'favorite' (usually a special bartender or waitress) at a bar/lounge we go to to socialize and dance, I'll tip cash directly/discreatly to them - my experience is they greatly appreicate it, making sure you are always serviced and remember your drinks. One young man told us we could order a bottle of wine and keep it at the lounge and use that instead of ordering by-the-drink which saved us. That was after I tipped him for taking care of us. We do this early on.

I don't consider it a bribe - maybe the professional butler wouldn't like it, but the wait staff greatly appreciate it so they can send more home.

On our first cruise on a Carnival ship (1992?), before they had tipping added to your bill, you'd get envelopes to put cash in and give to your waiter/asst waiter/matre de/room steward/asst. You'd do this on the last night and leave the envelope on the tables. We had a couple who were a bit loud and obnoxious (and he never took his ballcap off until I pointed out the sun had set 2hrs ago and we were inside!) sharing the table with us. When they got to the table and saw us and the other couples put our envelopes next to our plates, they asked what they were. We told them, and he stood up and said he forgot his and had to go back and get his. He asked his wife to go with him. As they left, I noted we wouldn't see them again and our poor Indian waiter would get stiffed. He was. Sad. A few bucks off us, but important to them.

Denny

Enjoyed your review - u make some excellent points..

However, while u may not consider pretipping a bribe, in reality thats exactly what it is..

I mean, they may appreciate it but can send just as much home after the service is rendered as before. Tipping is for service already received to express appreciation for same. Pretipping is an attempt to ensure good or even better service and I believe, undermines the cruiselines attempts to provide good service to all.

Have happy cruisin'!

Many thanks for your comments. The reason I mentioned it is that when you book in Australia pre paid gratuities are added to your deposit and port expenses etc. unless you inform your travel agent that you want to tip after the cruise. I think it is because Aussies are not used to tipping and are notoriously bad tippers that they try to get the money up front.

We think the crew should be paid properly and not have to rely on tips! Also the pre paids are considerably more than the tipping advised in the brochures.

I've taken to seeking out my room stewards on the second day or so, when some of the dust has settled from the crazy workload of disembarking all those passengers while simultaneously preparing for a fresh set of guests...in general, they work very hard and are pleasant and professional. I've always given a few $20's to my stewards early on in the cruise. Is it a bribe? Maybe; I never really thought about it and I don't care. It really isn't that different from automatic tipping, billed to your onboard account. I don't ask for weird services, I never leave the room a pigsty, and I like the peace of mind of knowing that I've taken care of these guys/gals a little bit ahead of time.

We use the auto-tip which of course is at the end of the cruise on Celebrity however if the cruise is longer than 7 days we will often tip something extra mid-cruise. I have never looked at it as a bribe but just a reward for doing a good job.

Also the pre paids are considerably more than the tipping advised in the brochures.

I prepaid my NCL gratuities in Oz before I left...it was $10 per day for 14 days, total of $140 Aussie. Had I paid at the end it would have been US$140 - slightly more expensive with the FX conversion.

Not much in the scheme of things, but hey, every little bit helps!!

Cheers

Ging466:)

As for pre-tipping being a bribe. That presupposes that the crew is aware that the tip has been pre-paid and of the amount of the pre payment prior to rendering their services. I'd like to know what basis there is for such an assumption.

Just because a financial transaction occurs between the cruise line and a passenger- does not necessarily mean that the crew is aware of said transaction at any particular point in time.

Since there is a lot of assuming going on, I rather assume that the crew is not aware of the tip until the cruise has ended and it has been deposited into their account. I have not sailed on Celeb yet, but on each of the other lines where I pre-paid gratuities, I was informed that I could adjust same at any time during the cruise. If I can adjust, then I will assume that the gratuities have not been deposited into the individual crew member’s accounts until the completion of the cruise. Otherwise, the cruise line would find itself crediting and then debiting individual crew member accounts- something I assume they would not want to do. And I am also assuming that the cruise lines pay their staff via electronic funds- not in cash- something tells me that there is not a person walking around with hundred’s of thousands of dollars handed them out to crew members for their prepaid gratuities.

Another basis for my assumption that gratuities are paid to the crew at cruise completition is the time value of money. With all these boats in the water and all the pre paid gratuity money there must be- the cruise line can hold same until the end of the cruise and use the money for other busines purposes (a 1 week float if you will). That would simply be good business.

What some on here are not catching is, there is a difference between the auto tip and pre-tipping the staff in cash, in person. Auto tipping is totally different, as many passengers do select that option---and the staff isn't informed as to who's auto tipped until the end of the cruise in some cases they don't get those tips until the end of the month. BUT, when you see your staff person, and hand them their tip in cash on the first day of the cruise, that's a totally different thing.

If the questions is: "Do you give money to your room steward or others, in person, at the beginning of your cruise?", my answer is always yes. We give money to our room person and the concierge, if applicable. We also tip them at the end. Is it a bride? Of course. Does it work? We have always had excellent service, so I am going to say yes.

Mark

We've never tipped up front and we've always had excellent service on Celebrity. I think if you have a bad crew member, they're going to be that way if they're pre-tipped or not. But it is up to each to decide.

Quote "Tip the Cabin Steward a FEW 20's at the start of the trip" How can this be anything but a bribe???? Hopefully this is an honest steward who does his/her job regardless...or I pity those who find it difficult enough to pay the regular tips...as they won't be getting full service while the person bribing them gets better than average! There are only so many hours to go around to do their jobs and if they are giving preferential treatment to some....some have to be shortchanged. This is again an example of "ELITISM" in my estimation. Yes because they are poorly paid so the tipping is almost necessary, but this isn't that...nothing but a bribe! Had people on our last cruise asking for special treatment in Dining room (With a little extra under the table they explained), which made everyone else's food late...etc. Sorry I have too much American equality drummed into my system to accept this !

If you "pre-pay" tips, then they are added to that person's paycheck. If they "pool" the tips, then the payroll dept. knows about the tip! If you tip in cash at the end of the cruise, it's up to the "tipee" to either pool the tips or not--as they wish.

We never tip in advance and have NEVER gotten anything but exemplary service--these folks aim to please--no "bribe" necessary! If you get service above and beyond what you expect, a bit extra may be in order.

I think most cruisers tip waaaaay beyond the expected amount--(could it be the sea air????? I don't know!)

Quote "Tip the Cabin Steward a FEW 20's at the start of the trip" How can this be anything but a bribe????...again an example of "ELITISM" in my estimation. Yes because they are poorly paid so the tipping is almost necessary' date=' but this isn't that...nothing but a bribe! Had people on our last cruise asking for special treatment in Dining room (With a little extra under the table they explained), which made everyone else's food late...etc. Sorry I have too much American equality drummed into my system to accept this ![/quote']

Oh, damn, there goes my elitism showing again! It's those pesky $20's I give to people who WORK LIKE MULES making my bed and cleaning my bathroom. I'm from New York City, madam, and the how and when of tipping is an art here. If you can't or won't grease palms, don't expect service with a smile, just service. So, the other couple's dinner was brought out first - what does that tell you? A little goodwill goes a long way. Haven't you ever tipped a maitre d' for a good table at a restaurant? Paid a little extra for the best of something? And spare me the flag waving at the end of the posting - your self-described "American equality" doesn't stop you from taking advantage of cruising when most people can't. Please.

Oh, damn, there goes my elitism showing again! It's those pesky $20's I give to people who WORK LIKE MULES making my bed and cleaning my bathroom. I'm from New York City, madam, and the how and when of tipping is an art here. If you can't or won't grease palms, don't expect service with a smile, just service. So, the other couple's dinner was brought out first - what does that tell you? A little goodwill goes a long way. Haven't you ever tipped a maitre d' for a good table at a restaurant? Paid a little extra for the best of something? And spare me the flag waving at the end of the posting - your self-described "American equality" doesn't stop you from taking advantage of cruising when most people can't. Please.

Gee I knew there was some reason we avoid New york

So I guess if I stay in a nicer room than most, I am an elitist too? Hmmm. My grandmother, who was from Greece, always said it is nice to give to others if you have it to give. I think most of us taking cruises are probably better off than the folks working the cruises. So even if it is a "bribe", I feel good tipping early and often. Must be the elitist in me. And I live in Maryland.

Mark

Quote "Tip the Cabin Steward a FEW 20's at the start of the trip" How can this be anything but a bribe???? Hopefully this is an honest steward who does his/her job regardless...or I pity those who find it difficult enough to pay the regular tips...as they won't be getting full service while the person bribing them gets better than average! There are only so many hours to go around to do their jobs and if they are giving preferential treatment to some....some have to be shortchanged. This is again an example of "ELITISM" in my estimation. Yes because they are poorly paid so the tipping is almost necessary' date=' but this isn't that...nothing but a bribe! Had people on our last cruise asking for special treatment in Dining room (With a little extra under the table they explained), which made everyone else's food late...etc. Sorry I have too much American equality drummed into my system to accept this ![/quote']

Thank you so much for this comment! Every time I read about people who expect "special" treatment from their stewards or their waiters (regardless of whether or not they tip well), all I can think about is how that impacts those who simply want the staff to do an excellent job providing basic, regular service. So many people seem to only be happy if they think they are being treated BETTER than those around them. I don't like that mindset...

Archived