okies-whats the deal with bermuda and fla ports?

onehotpooh

Some ports are more welcoming of cruise ships, and some like Bermuda are expensive. They charge more for the port fees and the cruiselines cant always pass on these charges.

Ships go where its cheapest to take folks. Bermuda is wonderfull, we all agree, but how many would pay extra to cruise there?

Bermuda also used to limit the number of cruise ships that could go there. The port facilities are not very big (the island itself is only about 22 miles long and about 1-3 miles wide).

Some ports are more welcoming of cruise ships, and some like Bermuda are expensive. They charge more for the port fees and the cruiselines cant always pass on these charges.

Ships go where its cheapest to take folks. Bermuda is wonderfull, we all agree, but how many would pay extra to cruise there?

I am going in 8 days on Explorer....it sure beats Nassau or places like that.

Essiesomom has it for the most part. Fort Lauderdale to Bermuda is just over a 1000 miles, while New York to Bermuda is around 750. From New York, you leave Saturday afternoon, sail all day Sunday, get there Monday morning, leave Tuesday night and be back on Thursday. If you left Ft Lauderdale on Saturday afternoon, the earliest you could be there is Monday evening, so they'd just slow down, get there Tuesday, leave Wednesday night and get back Saturday morning. Don't think there is a huge market for a week long, one port cruise out of Florida that actually goes north.

Cruises from New York seem to command more money than from Florida, so they can probably get more for a 5 day Bermuda cruise out of NYC than they can for 7 days out of Florida. Plus they don't run Bermuda cruises every 5 days. They run a 2 week cycle, and combine a 5 day Bermuda with a 9 day Caribbean or Canada.

Essiesomom has it for the most part. Fort Lauderdale to Bermuda is just over a 1000 miles, while New York to Bermuda is around 750. From New York, you leave Saturday afternoon, sail all day Sunday, get there Monday morning, leave Tuesday night and be back on Thursday. If you left Ft Lauderdale on Saturday afternoon, the earliest you could be there is Monday evening, so they'd just slow down, get there Tuesday, leave Wednesday night and get back Saturday morning. Don't think there is a huge market for a week long, one port cruise out of Florida that actually goes north.

Cruises from New York seem to command more money than from Florida, so they can probably get more for a 5 day Bermuda cruise out of NYC than they can for 7 days out of Florida. Plus they don't run Bermuda cruises every 5 days. They run a 2 week cycle, and combine a 5 day Bermuda with a 9 day Caribbean or Canada.

? NCL has three ships doing weekly runs April through October from NY, Boston,or Phily, Baltimore and Charleston.

My wife's family is from Lawton(in fact her grandfather was present when they drew the lots for Lawton as opposed to the land rush in the other part of the state)...does that count? Does that make him a Later?

Celebrity has a 10 day cruise that sails from NY to Bermuda, then on the the Caribbean and terminating in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure if it is a repositioning or if they also make the return route.

Celebrity has a 10 day cruise that sails from NY to Bermuda, then on the the Caribbean and terminating in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure if it is a repositioning or if they also make the return route.

Its a repo....and only one day in Bermuda...goes to Aruba and Curacao to make this is legal(PVSA) trip. Its 200% more expensive than a one week I am taking....and isn't it 11 days?

The distance from FL is too far for it to be economical...most people don't want that many sea days for a very short stay. (it would suit me fine, but...). EM

It's not as far as you think. We sailed the NCL Dawn last year from NYC. First, we went to Nassau, then Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's private island in the Bahamas), and then Bermuda. It only took us a day and a half to get to Bermuda from GSC. I think it has to do with how many ships can be in port. Hamilton port is closed right now because they're renovating. St. George's can only dock 2 ships (and small ones only). And, King's Warf only has one pier (building the 2nd right now).

We absolutely LOVE Bermuda and would pay extra to go there.

Apart from the ship berthing issues, I bet that temperature has a lot to do with it too. Bermuda sits in the Atlantic and really isn't "Caribbean" enough...

Considering it's only barely south of the same latitude as Atlanta, I'd say not LOL. Unless you meant "caribbean" in style, not location LOL.

I've been in Bermuda in June and October. Both times it was hot, hot, hot. Around 90 degrees. During the winter months, it does get somewhat chilly. But, that doesn't stop tourists. The official season is April to November. But, I'd be willing to bet many take their vacations there in January.

i missed out on the msc cruise from ft lauderdale to bermuda. why in general do lines not do this route ( fla to bermuda). is it taboo? is it not popular enough?

pooh

It is because Bermuda restricts the number of pax and ships.

Another point right now Bermuda only has three places to dock, although you can always tender. They are completing a fourth dock as we speak. Bermuda closed two piers in Hamilton. NCL has a long term agreement for three ships to come to visit Bermuda. With one of the agreements being exclusive from Boston...no other ship can travel directly from Boston to Bermuda.(since its with the government of Bermuda it is exempt from anti-trust laws). So it would be difficult to go to Bermuda and dock unless you plan to be in Bermuda on the weekends when the docks are available.

I thought it was 11 day. Now I am referring to the Constellation. If you are talking about the Constellation yes it is repostioning. It repositions from Europe to NJ in Sept and where it does Canada New England crusies for about a month and then it repositions to Ft. Lauderdale.

RCCL Navigator OS stopped in Bermuda on it's TA from FLL to Barcelona this year, but it's going to stop in the Canaries next year instead. We were on her this year and looked forward to Bermuda very much. Unfortunately it rained the entire day. We were disappointed because I love Bermuda, and I wanted to share it with DH, who had never been there. Despite the rain, we had a great time, but he didn't really get to see how beautiful Bermuda really is. Perhaps we need to just make a special trip to Bermuda and stay there because it really isn't convenient to take a ship from Florda.

Considering it's only barely south of the same latitude as Atlanta, I'd say not LOL. Unless you meant "caribbean" in style, not location LOL.

But its in the Gulf Stream, so the water is warm and it warms the climate around it (okay, I'm sounding like a science teacher again, but that's okay, I'm a science teacher!)

I lived there for 3 years. It gets a little chilly in the winter months, think shorts with light sweaters. Very warm during the spring, summer, fall. I would love to go back again someday.

Archived