Fuel Surchage increases to $9 effective 6/12/08

Flip2cruise

Glad I booked my fall of 2008 cruise in 2007....No surcharge for that one. And booked my 2009 cruise two months later. Only $5 night for that cruise.....I love it......:D

That works out to a few more brewskies........:p :p

What is a surcharge?

Well, I am in the manufacturing sector, and we have steel surcharges. The reason is this: with a commodity like steel (and fuel), the prices are gonig completely nuts due to various reasons. For steel, it's China. For fuel: Fuel prices are going nuts as well. So, a surcharge is something that is added on, and will fluctuate with the market. The "base" price remains the same.

Surcharges will go away should fuel go back to what it was before this whole surcharge thing happened. Well, in theory, anways. Surcharges are a way of communicating the impact of the fluctuating fuel prices with us, the consumer.

I MUCH prefer to have it a seperate charge. I can gauge the surcharge increase to what I see at the pumps. However, in this case, a $2 jump on a $7 surcharge is more than a 25% increase. Has fuel gone up 25% since the last surcharge increase? Not sure.

I remember the folks in my condo on the beach in Florida decided to go on a cruise, must have been very early 1990s. It was about $3000!!!! and I dont think that was for a expensive cabin. I didnt go, I was working, but I wanted to and looked at the deck plans and looked. Now I realize how much more expensive that cruise must have been. I think it was on princess.

I luckily never experienced these prices. On the 4 day in 1991, we paid $583 total for two with air from Denver. On the 7 day in 1992 we paid $1650 total for two with air from Colorado Springs.

I worked in reservation for Carnival from 99-02, adn the prices were not bad then, however I have no idea what they were with the other lines.

I MUCH prefer to have it a seperate charge. I can gauge the surcharge increase to what I see at the pumps. However, in this case, a $2 jump on a $7 surcharge is more than a 25% increase. Has fuel gone up 25% since the last surcharge increase? Not sure.

I don't really see what it matters if it's part of the fare or a separate line item - you have to pay it either way! And no, fuel has not increased 25% since the last increase...I actually think it's more like 8-10%, so you make a great point!

If it appears I'm contradicting my earlier post about including it in the fare and non-commissionable/commisionable, I'm not. I was just poking holes in the argument that they don't add it to the fare because they'd have to pay commission on it.

I don't really see what it matters if it's part of the fare or a separate line item - you have to pay it either way! And no, fuel has not increase 25% since the last increase...I actually think it's more like 8-10%, so you make a great point!

Except for the future forecasting part. Remember these are future bookings.

I luckily never experienced these prices. On the 4 day in 1991, we paid $583 total for two with air from Denver. On the 7 day in 1992 we paid $1650 total for two with air from Colorado Springs.

I worked in reservation for Carnival from 99-02, adn the prices were not bad then, however I have no idea what they were with the other lines.

In 1999 I paid $2,200 for two for a window cabin on the Elation 7 day. On the main deck no less. No airfare.

However, in this case, a $2 jump on a $7 surcharge is more than a 25% increase. Has fuel gone up 25% since the last surcharge increase? Not sure.

Nope... fuel has not jumped that high YET regarding an increase !

I think the cruiselines are easing up the fuel supplement to make up for when they had not implemented it when they needed to.

As another poster said, regardless of how they break it down is not really an issue... it's all about the bottom line of your total cruise costs and whether or not you will continue to cruise or if it reaches a point where an individual just cannot justify the costs for a cruise vacation. Everyone has a threshold to what they are willing to pay and I think many have reached or are getting close to their personal threshold now. Time will tell in the months to come I am afraid.

Nope... fuel has not jumped that high YET regarding an increase !

I think the cruiselines are easing up the fuel supplement to make up for when they had not implemented it when they needed to.

As another poster said, regardless of how they break it down is not really an issue... it's all about the bottom line of your total cruise costs and whether or not you will continue to cruise or if it reaches a point where an individual just cannot justify the costs for a cruise vacation. Everyone has a threshold to what they are willing to pay and I think many have reached or are getting close to their personal threshold now. Time will tell in the months to come I am afraid.

CNBC had a segment on the cruise industry a couple of weeks ago and Carnival said that the fuel increase was only covering 44% of the increase they were now paying and they said they would remain open to further increases in the future like all cruiselines would. I expect RCCL and others to follow with another hike soon also. This is from the Carnival website this evening. It's just becoming a sign of the times with everything else we buy that keeps increasing in price. :o

June 4, 2008

Fuel Supplement Increase

Effective for all new bookings on June 12, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $7 to $9 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy); and from $2 to $4 per guest per day for third/fourth/fifth guests.

The fuel supplement was necessitated by significant rises in fuel prices which have dramatically increased Carnival's operating costs. Unfortunately, we could not continue to shoulder this huge cost burden and it was necessary to implement a supplement to partially offset a portion of soaring fuel costs.

Implementing this fuel supplement was a difficult decision and we hope that our guests will understand that this is a necessary step in today's challenging economic environment.

My husband and I booked our first cruise on Carnival Conquest in August 2007 and received the military discount along with not having to pay the fuel surcharge. We paid $629 pp for a balcony. Right now the same room is $979 with a $7 dollar surcharge. We have saved $399 per person for a whopping $798 savings. Once we looked at it that way plus we will be driving to Galveston instead of flying which is also saving us money, we are really making money going on this cruise. Yippee!!!! NOT!!!! We will continue to cruise, although maybe at a lesser rate than we had hoped. We are already paid in full for September 2008 and have another cruise booked for November 2009. I guess our next cruise will have to wait for a big event such as a significant anniversary. We feel fortunate in the fact that we are at least driving distance from two ports, New Orleans and Galveston. That helps in saving airfare but with rising gas prices, who knows, it may soon become cheaper to fly than drive. We shall see!!!!

Cruises are still way cheaper than several years ago. I remember paying a $1000. each for the cheapest inside cabin on a ship.:eek: I do hate the fuel surcharges but everything is being affected by these fuel costs. I think cruising is still a great value.:)

I agree. 10 years ago I took my first cruise oceanview, it was the same price I am paying this year for a balcony.

Glad I booked my fall of 2008 cruise in 2007....No surcharge for that one. And booked my 2009 cruise two months later. Only $5 night for that cruise.....I love it......:D

That works out to a few more brewskies........:p :p

Iv got two I plan on doing late 09 that I booked when the fuel surcharge was ONLY $5 pp. hahahhahahahaa Imagine us looking back happily at only paying $5 pp per day extra. :D

With this latest increase, I guess DW and I will go ahead and book on RCI Liberty of the Seas. We were looking at Liberty OTS and Carnival Liberty in Nov. from Miami. With the Senior discount from RCI, and the raise in fuel supplement by Carnival, RCI is only $10pp total higher. So we will try out a newer and larger ship. I feel more and more cruisers will begin to look at the total cost on all lines and this will impact some of the so called loyalty to only 1 line.

I agree. 10 years ago I took my first cruise oceanview, it was the same price I am paying this year for a balcony.

Probably less when you factor in dollar buying power.

Iv got two I plan on doing late 09 that I booked when the fuel surcharge was ONLY $5 pp. hahahhahahahaa Imagine us looking back happily at only paying $5 pp per day extra. :D

Like when the gas prices drop their already high prices 5 cents, you think you are getting a deal. :cool:

We just all need to budget better I will say cruises is the way to go here is a example. I am going an a cruise next week the cruise with trasnfers and all the surchargers was a little under 700.00 PP for a ocean view for 5 nights.. Plus airfare was about 250.00 per person. about 950.00 PP .

I was in Vegas for 4 night stayed at the Rio last month the hotel was 475.00 For the 4 nights Plus 400 for Airfare So we are all ready at 875.00 Now lets add on cab rides Shows and food HMMM I know for a fact I went to a steak house one night and the check was about 250.00 for dinner and drinks and that was one night. So look at how much cheaper cruises are..

In closing 9 dollars a day is still cheaper. Remember you are on Vacation Maybe have 2 less drinks on the trip to pay for the gas or offer to bring a big paddle and row for a while

Just my thoughts JD

I agree cruising is the best value for the money! My issue is that this should be included IN the pricing instead of an add on. Someone explained it was because of comissions they'd have to pay on it which makes sense I guess. I still look at the bottom line and I always ask for my quoted prices on the compete site to include ALL extras in the final quote. MY dh has decided he'd like to consider an all inclusive resort vacation in the future. EGADS the prices I found make a cruise seem like a huge savings!! :eek: I will still cruise but I have looked for other ways to save money on expenses that can be reduced. :)

Are surcharges considered taxable income? May be another reason why it's separate.

Honestly, I don't care how they tack on the extra "fees". I just wish it was all advertised up front. Yes, I know it says at the bottom of the web page that "these fares do not includes taxes, fees, or surcharges", but now when scouting prices online, the price will jump over $100/pp when you add all this junk in. I guess it's no different than what the airlines have been doing for years now, but it makes it really hard to even figure out what you can shop for, as you don't know if the end result is going to be within your budget or not.

I hear you! I just retired last January (thus all the recent cruises:D ). I have a cruise this fall with g-kids and than one after you DH and I. We were just talking today about canceling the second because of the air cost.

Congrats on the retirement!!!

the price will jump over $100/pp when you add all this junk in. .

I had gotten out the calculater and for 2 of us, thats $126 on a 7 day, just for the new surcharges. I was kinda ok with $5, didnt take that big of a bite, but now its starting to sound like serious money tacked on.

Like when the gas prices drop their already high prices 5 cents, you think you are getting a deal. :cool:

I was just noticing that I can get 4 cents off a gallon at the gas station Iv been using if I pay cash. Then I said, thats a drop in the bucket!!! I might next time, never saw that it cost more to pay with a VISA card at the pump.

Archived