I'm Canadian Eh! - Airlines

toberman

I've been searching forever for airfares to FLL. We live in Canada, but are close enough to the border to consider US airlines. We hear so much about airline problems in the States (I think 5 have closed up this spring), that we are leary about booking with any of the 'discount' airlines. Does anyone have any experience with JetBlue (Syracuse), AirTrans (Rochester), or Southwest (Buffalo)??

Southwest offers pricing that is 1/3 of what we have here in Canada (Toronto). I have to drive almost 3 hours to TO, so driving to any of the other airports in minimal time extra.

Also, I think?? clearing customs, immigration, etc is sooooo much easier in a car.

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

Doug

Southwest is a well established and financially able airline. Airtran is probably the 'least' of the three mentioned... Least what, I'm not sure in the crazy world of airlines... But I wouldn't hesitate to book Southwest (I think they only book 6 months out though rather than 10 months like the 'Bigs').

As a fellow Canuck, all I can say is that I've flown with all three and not had a problem. The only difference is that you generally pay 20-60% less than a similar flight out of Toronto.

Past performance is still no guarantee as airlines are continually jeopardized by fuel prices and escalating costs, but you're probably ok with any you listed.

I've been searching forever for airfares to FLL. We live in Canada, but are close enough to the border to consider US airlines. We hear so much about airline problems in the States (I think 5 have closed up this spring), that we are leary about booking with any of the 'discount' airlines. Does anyone have any experience with JetBlue (Syracuse), AirTrans (Rochester), or Southwest (Buffalo)??

Southwest offers pricing that is 1/3 of what we have here in Canada (Toronto). I have to drive almost 3 hours to TO, so driving to any of the other airports in minimal time extra.

Also, I think?? clearing customs, immigration, etc is sooooo much easier in a car.

Doug

Also in Canada, but the left coast, I'm a bit leary now of booking US based airlines. I'm sick to death of them changing the schedule on me. Air Canada does it a bit, but not nearly as much as United, AA, Alaska, US Air etc. Also, our border line ups are insane so going through customs at the airport is far easier.

Just be careful with bridge traffic in Niagara Falls... especially on a friday or saturday ... give yourself lots of extra time. and let's hope you don't hit an early snow storm in buffalo at time of the year. it can happen!

i agree, if you have to drive 3 hours, i wouldn't hesitate to add an extra hour on to that to save some money. you might look at westjet too out of toronto.

let us know what you decide. i just returned from FLL in April and the Air Canada counter was horrendous ... stood in line for over 1 1/2 hours to check in.

I've flown all three and would say JetBlue or Southwest are definitely acceptable and relatively reliable. I've flown AirTrans a couple of times and was reminded of a Russian Aeroflot plane with basic, very crowded seating. However, when we did fly AirTrans, we got to the airport VERY early and were able to upgrade to "First Class" for $35/pp. That meant we got a slightly wider seat and a bigger bag of chips.

West Jet is good for flights to Florida. Only thing is they don't go to Miami! They go to both or either Orlando and Fort Launderdale. I can't remember for sure but it's one or both. They have deals ALL THE TIME too.

Doug

Hi,

We're in Oakville - west of Toronto, and an hour or so from Buffalo. We've got two kids (currently 8 & 5) and the main reason that we have NOT flown out of the US is that most of the flights are not "direct". With the kids, I'd rather not have to change planes in a busy airport where I don't know where I'm going, and hope my luggage makes it. If it was just me and hubby, no problem - I'd do it in a second - the savings have been pretty great !!

Also, double check the cost of parking at / near the airport before you go. I know some people that DO fly out of Buffalo, and they've recently mentioned that with airfares creeping higher, plus parking costs, the savings is shrinking.

I agree with one of the other poster's comments about the US airlines changing the schedules -- hubby flew AA from the south-west US via Chicago to Toronto, and he got stuck in Chicago for HOURS because they just "cancelled" his connection, and the next Chicago - Toronto flights were full. Give yourself time and watch where the connections are and how many other flights are scheduled on the same route -- that will help you figure out your chances if one of your legs gets cancelled, or a delay causes you to miss it. The chances are that with Air Canada or West Jet, they have the same plane going down and back again, so they usually stay better with their schedules -- thats been my experience anyways.

ALWAYS fly down the day before so that you have time to fix problems!!

I've flown all three and would say JetBlue or Southwest are definitely acceptable and relatively reliable. I've flown AirTrans a couple of times and was reminded of a Russian Aeroflot plane with basic, very crowded seating. However, when we did fly AirTrans, we got to the airport VERY early and were able to upgrade to "First Class" for $35/pp. That meant we got a slightly wider seat and a bigger bag of chips.

Great :( I booked AirTran $ 240.00 pp all in return out of Vermont to Ft Liquordale this coming January. I'm in Montreal and the price was $600.00 cheaper each to drive 75 miles south for my one stop over a non stop from YUL:eek:

I hope Air Tran (who are turning in decent numbers money wise) isn't as bad as Cubana Air or Aeroflot..... :cool:

another canuck here...have you checked out westjet....it goes in to Ft Lauderdale and Orlanda, Tampa and 'west Palm beach (not sure on the last one)....also if you have the time drive all the way down..there are lots of motels that have free parking for cruises if you stay the night before at their hotel..at least there was...have not checked this out for some time...

Another Canadian here!! We live within an hour of Buffalo and booked direct flights to FLL on JetBlue for our cruise in October. We booked early before fares started increasing. It was also important to us to have direct flights. Cruisetoddler ... with 2 kids the exact same age as yours ... i completely understand the importance of direct flights and I was thrilled when we found great direct flights.

I've heard positive things about Jetblue and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are right.

We live just outside of Toronto and flew JetBlue last year from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale (short stop over in NewYork). I must say that I truly loved flying with Jet Blue. I would book them again in a heart beat. Next time however, I will book a direct flight as the trip with any stopover makes the day a long one

Due to a snow storm, they had to de-ice the plane in Buffalo and we missed our connecting flight to FLL. Jet Blue made sure that all passengers were on the next plane out of NY which was about 30 mins later. All in all we landed in FLL about 20 mins after our scheduled landing.

I have never flown southwest but my MIL has done so and says she has never had any problems with delays or cancellations.

If it is geographically feasible, the flights from the states are much cheaper than any flight going out of Toronto.

Good luck with your plans!

My wife hates driving and does not like to fly with connections (poor me). I just booked with westjet for a late Jan direct flight to Orlando return (booked just before fuel surcharge went into effect) and we can still check two bags. the price was 1300.00 for he two of us from Ottawa. So for anyone that can go to the US and get the great airfares (take them). I think Canadian airlines should be grounded and the canadian people should not have to bail them out.

Toberman, we also live in Kingston and for our past 3 cruises ALWAYS fly out of Syracuse. Very easy drive (much better than to Toronto and Pearson). We have flown US Air, Delta and Continental and maybe a couple of others. The only thing with Syr. is that it is nearly impossible to get a direct flight so be prepared for one days air travel. You will probably save roughly $200.00 per seat flying out of the US. Have a great trip. :D

Live in Toronto area, and flew AirTran in Nov07 to FLL for a Princess cruise. Had to connect in Atlanta (as with most AirTran flights) but all flights left on time or early and arrived on time or early. It is a no frills airline, so only soft drinks & peanuts are complimentary, but you can bring your own food on if you like.

Staff was friendly, would book them again without hesitation.

We fly out of PHL and BWI all the time and always fly AIR TRAN....New planes, great service , and good on time schedules.

Good to hear. I have a buddy in the business that tells me that their new routes out of Burlington Vt are with newer aircraft....

They have to do better than our flight last January. Under cloudless perfect skies and calm weather from the north pole to the Caribbean, US Air left us in Phil for TEN HOURS because one of their aircraft was broken and they had to load us aboard a cargo flight that came in from Ireland!!! They couldn't get a closer replacement. A dozen or so Celebrity cruisers missed their San Juan sailing because of the outrageous delay.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Crossing the border is a breeze for us - it's a 30 minute drive, and in Nov - no back-ups. Much easier I'm thinking to clear Customs in a car than it is at Pearson. However, WestJet puts some great seat sales on. Guess I'll wait til closer to final payment date for the cruise to make a decision.

Doug

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Crossing the border is a breeze for us - it's a 30 minute drive, and in Nov - no back-ups. Much easier I'm thinking to clear Customs in a car than it is at Pearson. However, WestJet puts some great seat sales on. Guess I'll wait til closer to final payment date for the cruise to make a decision.

Doug

It's been my experience that the best prices by far are well before the flight date. The Air Tran I just booked was on sale 8 months before flying.

IMHO air travel will be getting MORE expensive over the next few months/years not less. I'd keep a close eye on fares and book early if I were you.

WE have done it twice so far out of Burlington Vermont to Florida

Price was 250$ pp to FLL out of Burlington connecting thru NYC JFK.OUt of YUL it was 700$PP WAY TOO MUCH

Comfy seats ,great snacks -LOVE THOSE BLUE CHIPS!!!

Am doing it this summer to NYC for Caribbean Princess and this winter to FLL

Looking for cheap flight to SJU for March

Give yourself lots of time to get to airport

It takes us at least 2.5 hours to drive to BUrlington in winter.

I like jet blue

Hey Doug.

I understand your situation all too well. I'm currently trying to price air out of Toronto to Orlando for Feb '09 for my family (hubby and 2 little ones 2 & 3) and both WestJet and Air Canada are currently priced at $3400 - $3600. That is simply OUTRAGEOUS for a 3 hour flight.

This past January hubby and I (sans kids) flew out of Toronto on Northwest to Fort Lauderdale. We did have to connect in Detroit but their terminal is very nice with lots of shopping and dining options. I believe we got the flights for $680 for both of us, versus Air Canada's $1700.

The experience with NWA was good but it certainly was no frills. We would fly with them again, although not with the kids as there is no "entertainment" of any kind (movie, tv in seat or even XM radio which I understand Air Tran has).

I have a friend who swears by Southwest and according to an article I read yesterday, they are less likely to go belly up over the next few months than some other airlines (and I believe they rated NWA as being high on the potential list for bankruptcy).

Good luck and let us know what you do in the end!!

Jill

Archived