Do you think the Beehive is back in?

OK I'm being silly, if your not one of the B-52's or Amy Winehouse, I don't think you can really pull off the "Beehive"...

but our dance studio is doing Hairspray numbers for our spring recital. I had fun creating my own Beehive at tonights rehearsal.

It was so much fun creating the outrageous do. I looked more like Flo from Alice, but it was a great do.

I put the back of hair in a high ponytail, then I put two of my old "donut" curls hair pieces on over the pony tail, then teasted all that up and over, then took the loose front section and with a year of teasing and 1/2 can of hair spray I then combed it over to create about a 5 inch beehive.

Did any of you ladies ever sport a beehive for real? My mom had a teased flip, but not really a hive, and in the 90's I used to wear the more scaled down Ivana Trump french twist.

Heavens! All that "teasing" (required to get the "height") is soooo damaging to your hair!

Thank God I was "coming of age" as that particular hairstyle was finishing! No WAY I'd do it--even for stage! I'd buy a wig first!

I did it as a teenager because the style was made popular for teens on American Bandstand. I have baby fine hair though, so it never worked well for me. No amount of teasing and hairspray would stay very long in my hair. I really envied the other gals who could make their hair do that and stay nice. We didn't realize back in the early sixties how damaging the teasing could be to hair. Hair spray then was pretty harsh too.

My mom put my hair in a beehive-french twist for my KINDERGARTEN picture!:eek: I still cringe whenever I see that photo.

I think some women could pull off a beehive if they have a "look" going, but I don't think it's a day to day look anymore. Who knows, though?

Around here some women still wear a beehive, usually women from certain churches.

LOL.....funny topic. Not sure if my mom ever had a beehive, but in my Kindergarten or 1st Grade picture I had the "Dorothy Hamill".......remember that one? And to make it even worse, I have a cowlick in the front and it was sticking straight up!:eek:

Maybe it's back??! To be honest I asked my stylist last week to give me a bit of a sophisticated "do" for a rather swanky dinner we were attending and he had me teased up and in a french twist in no time. I was feeling a bit dated during cocktail hour but as I scanned the room there were quite a few other teased twists sipping their pinot grigio too!

Suzanne...I live in Baltimore, THE land of the beehive and John Waters. We've seen Hairspray here and on Broadway. Great show, very high energy.

No, I've never worn one myself, but I remember seeing many when I was a child. Baltimore has an "HonFest" (hon is an endearing word). Check out this video, it's hysterical!

http://www.honfest.net/whatis.html

Enjoy your new do and have a ball, hon! ;) :D

OK I'm being silly, if your not one of the B-52's or Amy Winehouse, I don't think you can really pull off the "Beehive"...

but our dance studio is doing Hairspray numbers for our spring recital. I had fun creating my own Beehive at tonights rehearsal.

It was so much fun creating the outrageous do. I looked more like Flo from Alice, but it was a great do.

I put the back of hair in a high ponytail, then I put two of my old "donut" curls hair pieces on over the pony tail, then teasted all that up and over, then took the loose front section and with a year of teasing and 1/2 can of hair spray I then combed it over to create about a 5 inch beehive.

Did any of you ladies ever sport a beehive for real? My mom had a teased flip, but not really a hive, and in the 90's I used to wear the more scaled down Ivana Trump french twist.

Sounded like fun Cruise Arizona.

I remember always teasing my bangs and spraying them with a white canned hairspray I think with the name Adorn??

The closest I ever came to having a beehive was on my wedding day, It was this huge braided immovable helmet on the top of my head. Not a hair moved!

I can remember not dismantling it and the 80 bobby pins until the next day and how much it hurt to try and brush it down.

I remember my older sister having her hair done in a beehive. Believe it or not, her hair was too long for it and the stylist didn't seem to know what to do with the length so he just wrapped it around and around into a tower. She ended up looking like something akin to Queen Nefertiti.:eek: :D

Nefertiti3.gif

I also remember her then wrapping it in toilet paper so it wouldn't get damaged when she slept:D .

I'm old enough to remember the beehive back in the day. I never had one, but I sure do remember them. That's when women went to the hairdresser once a week, had it washed and teased into that behemoth style and kept spraying it all week long with hairspray. Then they would wrap it with tissue paper before bed. Ugh! :eek: By weeks end it was as stiff as a board. Hopefully if it's coming back, it's a smaller, sleeker version.

I think that they are totally back in style!

I see them all over television these days. Every time I turn on the TV, there's another lady with a beehive.

They seem to go especially well with puffy sleeved dresses.

eb5098fdda5196d2eee2ce07b6354cb6.jpg

:eek:;):D

In defense of we Texas women, I just want to make it clear that this is **not** the way most of us wear our hair:eek: anymore. I don't even know how they get their hair to DO that:confused: The puffy sleeved dresses, however, are widely available in certain areas...

Honey I live in the south and you can't tell grandma anything!! They still love their beehives!! I kid you not, but some have beehives so strong that even a hurricane can't crack them :D :D :D !!

As long as there's aqua net and southern women, you will have beehives!!

What fun we had doing our little production of the highlights from Hairspray. DH took some pictures from the audience and they are not very good, but I'll see if I can work on one to put up here at CC.

When I was a kid in Atlanta we used to see ladies all the time that had the once a week beauty parlor do.

I rented the original 1980's John waters version of Hairspray, and I just loved the over the top hair do's in that version. There is something interesting when hair becomes sculpture.

Our show was tonight, and I was a very crabby as Velma Von Tussle, but I have to say that the highlight of the show was one of the girls "older brothers" as Edna. He really had fun and got into the part. His girl friend did his make up for him, which cracked me up. Lots of laughs, and then poignant moments to as we got into the serious side of the story too.

OK keep your fingers crossed and hopefully I can get a picture up tomorrow.

Sounds like fun. I hope you can post a pic.:)

Regarding my first post, I have been trying to find the kindergarten beehive photo, but so far no luck. Unfortunately, I have found a number of other childhood bad hair pictures of myself. It appears that I have had quite the bad hair life! I'd like to post them, but I haven't decided if I can take the humiliation.:D :o

I think that they are totally back in style!

I see them all over television these days. Every time I turn on the TV, there's another lady with a beehive.

They seem to go especially well with puffy sleeved dresses.

eb5098fdda5196d2eee2ce07b6354cb6.jpg

:eek:;):D

OMG! that is too funny! I'm definitely staying away from beehive hair-dos! Don't want to be associated with some hair cult ya know?! LOL

Laurie

I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of teasing and hairspray every now and then. :D I had my hair done on our last formal night on our last cruise and thought it looked awesome. I only wish I could make it look like that myself....

2391298753_7c3e9accd1.jpg

Archived