I'm so upset I could cry! I really screwed up my priceline reservation

MattnDJsMom

I am so upset I could just cry!! I was on priceline today trying to get our pre-cruise hotel reservation in San Juan and by accident selected the Rio Grande area - now we are stuck at the Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort - We got a really good price and I am sure it is a beautiful hotel but it seems so far away from Old San Juan and the Pier!! I am so disappointed and mad at myself for not paying attention. All the times I tried before I knew not to select that area - don't know what happened today - guess I just spaced out!! I know that this is ridiculous and that I should be happy that I got a AAA resort at a great price but I had my heart set on the Caribe Hilton. :(

Yes, I agree, try calling Priceline right away. I did the same thing one time a few years back, in put the wrong information and didn't realize it till the transaction went through. They took care of it and didn't penalize me in any way. Good luck.

Wendy

Hi, We just got back from SJU and did exactly the same thing you did. But it turned out fine. So if Priceline won't change your reservation, do this: Go online and rent a car at Charlie Car rental. We paid $20 for 24 hours, picked the car up at the airport and dropped it off at the pier. We drove out to the Wyndham which is absolutely gorgeous! The next morning we went and hiked Big Tree trail in El Yunque rainforest. We ended up at a waterfall, La Mina I think. Absolutely gorgeous. Then we went back to the hotel, checked out, thought about going for a horseback ride on the beach but headed for the cruise ship. We had a wonderful time and if you take the toll road, which parelells 26, it only took about 30 min to get to the hotel. We thought it was the best mistake we've ever made. The hotel is very peaceful, the room huge and the grounds and beach beautiful. So don't panic. But do call the hotel and get specific directions on how to get to the lobby once you are inside their gate as it was hard to find. Have fun.

I agree with the above post, don't panic if Priceline won't reverse it. The Wyndham is awesome, we just got back from it and when my review is up to that point I'll post a link over to it and you can see loads of pics. It's right across from the rainforest and the pool and beach are great! As mentioned above, if you take 66, which is a highway that parallels 26 for a while, it will save you a lot of time and the toll is only $1.50. We went from the hotel to OSJ in 35 minutes.

AAMECHS2 & Toonjie

Thank you both so much!!! I feel much better now. Priceline won't reverse it as I figured they wouldn't. We have actually already rented a car through Alamo for $32 (total cost for the 24 hour period) but have to drop it off at the airport and then get to the pier. I will definitely check out Charlie Car. I would much rather drop it off at the pier instead of the airport. Also, thanks for the info on the roads. We aren't going until August so we have some time to figure it all out.

I keep looking at the resort on the web to convince myself that its not so bad. How could it not be, right??? It looks absolutely beautiful! Now after reading both of your comments, I feel a whole lot better. It's our 10 year anniversary and I just wanted it to be so special. Thanks again for your reassurance. It helps so much!!!

Maureen

Here's a link to my full review and there is a lot about Charlie Car Rental at the beginning and there'll be more at the end as well as well as loads of pics. I would go with Charlie because you can rent at the airport and drop off at their office in the Condado area, which is about 7 minutes from the pier. They will also pick you up at the ship and take you to the Condado office to rent for a post-cruise if you are doing that, so it saves some cab fare.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783539

As far as the Wyndham, it is a magnificent resort! The staff was impeccable! If you read the reviews on Tripadvisor, I think the main complaint is by people who didn't do their research and rent a car and were stuck there eating at the expensive restaurants as their only choice. We were there for a 4 day post cruise, so when I get to that part of the review I'll be posting pics and discussing all the restaurants and activities to do around there. I would also go online and join Wyndham by Request, their frequent stay program. It's free and you get loads of benefits and even though we were on a SkyAuction reservation, we got all the benefits and an upgraded room. (I'll talk a lot about how I got it in the review.) For now, here are some pics to show you what a great resort it is:

Our Room:

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

Bathroom:

IMG_6502.jpg

Our view:

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_6499.jpg

IMG_6500.jpg

Hi Toonjie,

Thanks! Your pictures are beautiful! I have actually been following your review and can't wait for more. I will contact Charlie Car Rental this week. I can't imagine that it would be much more than the Alamo car we already have reserved (maybe even cheaper!) and the fact that we can drop off near the pier will make up the difference of taking a taxi from the airport. Unfortunately, we can't stay post cruise as we have to get home to the kids but Charlie Car will definitely work on the front end. Also, I would love to hear your suggestions for restaurants in the Rio Mar area. I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor and got a little nervous about what people were saying about the cost of food at the hotel. My DH is a slighly picky eater so I have to be very careful choosing a restaurant.

I can't thank you enough for all of your insight. I love reading your reviews and the information you provide is unbelievably helpful. I am sure I will have a million questions for you as we get closer to our departure date.

Oh and before I forget.....congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby boy!! Your wife is beautiful and I wish all of you nothing but the best!!

Here's a link to my full review and there is a lot about Charlie Car Rental at the beginning and there'll be more at the end as well as well as loads of pics. I would go with Charlie because you can rent at the airport and drop off at their office in the Condado area, which is about 7 minutes from the pier. They will also pick you up at the ship and take you to the Condado office to rent for a post-cruise if you are doing that, so it saves some cab fare.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783539

Thanks so much for the info!! I just went to Charlie Car Rentals and booked our car for next March! haha Talk about being early, eh? Grand total for the 24 hr. period is $35 and that gives us the freedom to go where we want. (We're staying at the Intercontinental.)

I love CC! I get so much good info here.

May I say those photos are absolutely beautiful:) and thank

you for sharing them with us.

Now, I have used Priceline and Hotwire before so I know

how it works but I usually only bid for "San Juan" which is

normally the Sheraton.

That resort looks marvelous.....its a Wyndam? In the

"Rio Grande" Zone? How many stars?

Thanks for the help and again...those photos are awesome:D

May I say those photos are absolutely beautiful:) and thank

you for sharing them with us.

Now, I have used Priceline and Hotwire before so I know

how it works but I usually only bid for "San Juan" which is

normally the Sheraton.

That resort looks marvelous.....its a Wyndam? In the

"Rio Grande" Zone? How many stars?

Thanks for the help and again...those photos are awesome:D

The Sheraton is a 3*, if you want one of the resorts, then bid on Priceline with just the resort category selected. Priceline only has resorts in 2 areas in Puerto Rico: 1. San Juan 2. Rio-Grande-Humacao. So if you want the Wyndham select Rio-Grande-Humacao and you can rebid by selecting any other area except San Juan since there are no resorts anywhere else except the 2 above area. You can do the same thing if you want a resort in San Juan. If you are trying to get the Wyndham on Priceline, you have a 50/50 chance because the other resort they have there is the El Conquistador. The other possibility is the one we used and that is Skyauction. It's just like Ebay for travel. We won an auction and got the room you saw in the above post for $120 a night. You have to read the auction for blackout dates, but if you win and the hotel doesn't have availability on the date you want, you get your money refunded as long as your date is not on a blackout date. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi,:) thanks for the help. I tried Priceline and my bid was rejected:rolleyes:.

I have plenty of time and if need be I will just do a regular

hotel on their regular website.

Comfort Inn has rooms available for 107.00. I think I will just

book a room there to have something on hold.

I am not leaving till January so I have time for rebidding.

Oh, I looked at SkyAuction~they have a major single supplement

which I don't want to pay. I sail solo and need a room just for me.

Hi,:) thanks for the help. I tried Priceline and my bid was rejected:rolleyes:.

I have plenty of time and if need be I will just do a regular

hotel on their regular website.

Comfort Inn has rooms available for 107.00. I think I will just

book a room there to have something on hold.

I am not leaving till January so I have time for rebidding.

Oh, I looked at SkyAuction~they have a major single supplement

which I don't want to pay. I sail solo and need a room just for me.

Single supplement????? The auctions for the Wyndham are for either single or double occupancy. If you found an auction that has a single supplement, just look for another hotel that doesn't have one. I've never come across one on Skyauction, it's always been single or double, you're just bidding on the room. Keep looking and keep bidding on Priceline, remember you can bid 4-5 times a day since there are only resorts in San Juan and Rio-Grande- Humacao.

Hi, ok thanks for the tip:) I put in a bid of 85.00 on Priceline and

it was rejected.

I will look at Sky Auction again and check with a bit more

detail.

Single supplement????? The auctions for the Wyndham are for either single or double occupancy. If you found an auction that has a single supplement, just look for another hotel that doesn't have one. I've never come across one on Skyauction, it's always been single or double, you're just bidding on the room. Keep looking and keep bidding on Priceline, remember you can bid 4-5 times a day since there are only resorts in San Juan and Rio-Grande- Humacao.

Hi, will you take a look for me? This is really funky.

I have never used Sky Auction before. I clicked on Puerto

Rico and am looking at the Rio Mar Beach Resort.

Reading all the information, the bid shows a certain amount

but when I read all the information, unless I am totally

misunderstanding it...it says $625.00 single supplement:eek:

and it says this particular bid is per person?

Anyway, I will keep looking.

Hi, will you take a look for me? This is really funky.

I have never used Sky Auction before. I clicked on Puerto

Rico and am looking at the Rio Mar Beach Resort.

Reading all the information, the bid shows a certain amount

but when I read all the information, unless I am totally

misunderstanding it...it says $625.00 single supplement:eek:

and it says this particular bid is per person?

Anyway, I will keep looking.

Here's a link right to an auction for it that has no supplement. No, bid is per room, remember to factor in and seasonal surcharge they might have for the dates you want. Just keep trying on another auction if the one you are bidding on goes too high.

http://www.skyauction.com/action/offer/1405678

Hi:) I need a room for January 2009....those are all for this

year (If I am reading it correctly).

Should I just put that link on my favorite key and keep checking

back?

Like I said, I have never used them before.

Thanks for the help:)

Hi:) I need a room for January 2009....those are all for this

year (If I am reading it correctly).

Should I just put that link on my favorite key and keep checking

back?

Like I said, I have never used them before.

Thanks for the help:)

Yes, you'll probably have to wait a bit until you find one for 2009. Just check every week or so.

Hi Lois,

Even though I was upset at first about getting the Wyndham Rio Mar, I am very excited to go there now (especially after seeing Toonjie's pictures and reading his review). But I wanted to let you know that we are going in August of this year and I bid $90 on priceline and that's what we got it for. So maybe just keep trying if that is the hotel you really want!

Hi, thanks for the reply:)..I might just do that:D

You are going in what I would consider "off season" (better

pricing). I am going in January (high season) but I will try

to bid again and see what happens.;)

• 1 month later...

Hi,:) still trying the SkyAuction without any success:eek:

Maybe as we get closer to the end of the year....

I need to get a room just so I know I have one and then

can try Priceline/Hotwire again...seems January the prices

are so high:rolleyes:

Hey Lois,

That stinks. We had a room booked at the Normandie hotel in Old San Juan before we got our priceline hotel. I booked directly through their website and the rate I got was $150 per night which I didn't think was that bad if we ended up having to take that one. I am sure the prices will be higher in January but may be worth looking into.

I have a friend who books through Priceline all the time and he says that you just have to be patient. Good luck!!!

Hi ya'll:D I was tired of looking and looking and looking:rolleyes: and decided

to up my bid and GOT IT:D

I am spending more than I usually do but the place looks

soooooooooo fabulous!

+34.07 taxes and fees

----------

I am HAPPY...especially after looking at all of toonjie's

pictures again:D

Hi Maureen, we need to turn the title of your thread into a positive

now...no crying:)

Archived