Desperate Plea to 5/25-6/1 Star Cruisers!!

cookingchick

I'm really hoping that some or all of you from the Star Princess Alaska cruise out of Seattle on May 25th-June 1st can help me out.

I arranged this cruise for my mother in law and her grandson...it was her second cruise and she had an absolutely fabulous time. Here's where the problem comes in. DH and I bought her a digital camera for Christmas and she took it with her on the cruise. She took lots of pictures and gave the memory card to my DH (a computer dude) to upload and print the pictures. Well, there was nothing on the card. Apparently at some point she deleted all of the pictures she had taken (she's a bit iffy in the techie department). So now she has no pictures of the trip.

I'm appealing to all of you who may have some generic digital shots taken on the ship, during the cruise, on excursions, etc. that you could share with me. I know that my MIL would be so thrilled to have anything that she could look at to remind her of her adventure...I would be eternally grateful.

I'm not sure how to facilitate such a transfer of pictures but if an e-mail address would be easiest, they may be e-mailed to princess@vilden.com.

We have called Princess to ask about getting a video from the sailing and they told us that you could only buy it on the ship but I'm going to see if my TA can obtain one for us.

Again, anything y'all could do to help me out would be so very nice...my MIL is a great lady and I'd really like to make sure she has memories from this exciting trip. Thanks, y'all.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THE CARD OR TRY TO RESUE IT!!!!!

As CaptainKlutz has said, recovering all of your pictures is not a problem as long as you have not modfied or reused the card. If you have, you may be able to get some of them back.

Lots of luck.

DON

I've forwarded the website link to DH and he's checking it out as we speak...I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for the info, Bruce & Don!

Yes, please let us know. I hope she is able to recover her photos.

Well, I just spoke with DH and the recovery attempt didn't work. I can't imagine what she must have done to the pics that we can't even recover them from the card but that's water under the bridge, I guess.

Anyway, we're back at square one so if anyone has any pics they'd be willing to share, please let me know.

We DID get a lovely e-mail from a cruiser in Laguna Niguel who offered to take pics for us on her upcoming cruise on the Star...I thought that was sooooo nice. :)

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my post...

I really hope someone is able to help you. I think what you have done and are doing for your mother in law is wonderful (as well as how you speak about her). She is very lucky to have you.

You might try posting this request on the Roll Call thread for that cruise as well. You may have a better chance at reaching people who were actually on that sailing that way.

That thread is located at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685590&page=3

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, jtmalt! I just posted one there and one of the cruisers is a local guy so maybe he'll come through for me (that's you Cruzman!).

I contacted my TA this morning and asked him about the cruise videos. He said they're copied on demand while the ship is cruising but they don't archive any copies so I'm out of luck there! I'm just going to keep hoping that my Cruise Critic buddies here will help me out!

Don't give up on the card until you've had someone try to reformat it. I had this happen with the first pro card I bought for my Rebel XT a couple years ago. I had bought my card at a local camera shop, and they helped me with it and then replaced the card. See if someone in your local camera store is willing to help you out with reformatting it.

Good luck!!

I really hope someone is able to help you. I think what you have done and are doing for your mother in law is wonderful (as well as how you speak about her). She is very lucky to have you.

Thanks, jwave. She's a pretty awesome lady and even though she sometimes rubs me the wrong way, she did raise my DH singlehandedly and he turned out to be even more awesome than she is so I'll be forever grateful to her! :)

I can't help you with your situation, but I am in tears reading your post. GOOD LUCK.....I truly hope that you are able to get some photos from others on that cruise. All of this being said, we sail next week, and will make sure to keep ALL of my photos just in case this situation happens to someone on my cruise. I hope when you get some photos, & you will let us all know. You are a dear woman for caring so much.:o

Don't give up on the card until you've had someone try to reformat it.

Good luck!!

DO NOT TRY TO REFORMAT THE CARD!!

That will greatly reduce the chance of getting anything off it. Unless your Mom somehow did a low level format of the card to did not actually record anything to the card, a computer guru who specializes in data recovery still should have a chance to get something off it.

DON

You might try posting this request on the Roll Call thread for that cruise as well. You may have a better chance at reaching people who were actually on that sailing that way.

That thread is located at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685590&page=3

Good luck!

That is a great idea:)

Hope you get some and let us know how it goes:)

could it be possible that she saved the pictures to the memory on the camera and not the card?

Cindy

We were thinking the same thing last night. We're having dinner with MIL tonight so we will take a look at her camera and see if that's what happened.

Thanks for the suggestion, jtmalt! I just posted one there and one of the cruisers is a local guy so maybe he'll come through for me (that's you Cruzman!).

I contacted my TA this morning and asked him about the cruise videos. He said they're copied on demand while the ship is cruising but they don't archive any copies so I'm out of luck there! I'm just going to keep hoping that my Cruise Critic buddies here will help me out!

I knew there was a reason I hadn't deleted all my pictures from my sd card yet. I downloaded them to my puter, but all the pics remain on the card. If you will e-mail me (callsos at gmail dot com), perhaps I can make those pics available to you. Hey, I can burn all of them to a CD and you can save those that you want. We took over 500 pics on this trip, so you should be able to find some worthy of keeping. I'm real busy today with my high school class reunion, but I can certainly get back to you tomorrow.

Just another thought.

For around 100 bucks you can buy an eye-fi card for your camera. Anytime your camera goes near a hot spot for wireless internet your camera will email your pictures home.

If something happens to your camera you will still have some if not all of the pics. :D

Archived