CCL Freedom pulled from summer 2009 Rome sailings!

Actually if you read it correctly it says that the Dream will be based at Port Canaveral beginning fall 2009. It doesn't say that it will be delivered beginning fall 2009. So I think there is a big chance that it can be delivered in June next year and (most probably) do some european cruises, before it crosses the pond.

Actually if you read it correctly it says that the Dream will be based at Port Canaveral beginning fall 2009. It doesn't say that it will be delivered beginning fall 2009. So I think there is a big chance that it can be delivered in June next year and (most probably) do some european cruises, before it crosses the pond.

Yup, that was my thinking too.. It's also what I'm hoping for. :D

I have to say, CCL never called me. I called them when I read that the Freedom was to be moved to FLL.

So, it does make me wonder and Dream ;)

I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them I haven't decided on what to do yet.

As for those balcony cabins on the Legend and Brillance, do you mind telling me which sailing you saw balconies avilable for just a double?

We cannot go until school is out late June. It will let me do a triple or quad in the balcony cabins, but not the double on any of the sailings I mentioned.

Trying to get my ducks in a row.

I would love to do that Solstice, but the price was a lot higher.

As for those balcony cabins on the Legend and Brillance, do you mind telling me which sailing you saw balconies avilable for just a double?

We cannot go until school is out late June. It will let me do a triple or quad in the balcony cabins, but not the double on any of the sailings I mentioned.

Your best bet may be to talk to a travel agent to find your best alternatives. If cabins are available for 3rd and 4th passengers RCCL should let you book them for only 2 people. Have you looked at the July 7, 2009 sailing of the Legend of the Seas? They have both D1 and D2 balconies available.

Your best bet may be to talk to a travel agent to find your best alternatives. If cabins are available for 3rd and 4th passengers RCCL should let you book them for only 2 people. Have you looked at the July 7, 2009 sailing of the Legend of the Seas? They have both D1 and D2 balconies available.

Yes, I have been in very close contact ;)

Yes, the July 7th sailing is over $1,000.00 more per cabin and no OBC :(

I would go for it, but most of the group will not.

I have this feeling this will have to wait another year, or go by ourselves.

Yeah, unfortunately the best deals were when bookings opened - back in March. You might watch to see if RCCL has another WOW special or if you can find a TA that offers onboard credit. Unfortunately, Legend doesn't have that many balconies and that is a popular itinerary so I don't think the price is going to come down, especially with Carnival (competition) pulling out of the market.

quote=SunFunCruiser

Hi - Balconies on the Solstice are being advertised for 6/15, 6/26, 7/6,7/17, and 7/27. No mention is made about triples or quads.??????

They are either 10 or 11 night itineraries and are RT from Rome. It looks like these are eastern Med cruises and do some of the Greek Isles. I'm seeing rates of around $2,300 - $2,600 pp.

I'm getting the run-around from Carnival here in the UK.

I found out this morning about Freedom being pulled. We were due on it in Oct 09.

I got right on to my TA who called Carnival to be told "changes are happening - we will send a letter explaining it in the next few days". When my TA pressed them for answers the person said all would be in the letter.

Not very helpful is it.

H

well, we decided on the Celebrity Summit July 9, 2009 sailing.

I did lose half my group, which is a shame. But, what can you do?

Summit is a nice ship. Not sure which category you've decided on, but we had one of the so-called 'Sweet 16' cabins with the extended balcony, twice the size of the normal balconies. Checking for your sailing, it looks like they are available -- any cabin from 6021-6035 on port side and 6016-6030 starboard. They're actually listed as a 2C, and even the Celebrity site doesn't distinguish the balcony size, but these are IMHO quite desirable.

I'm getting the run-around from Carnival here in the UK.

I found out this morning about Freedom being pulled. We were due on it in Oct 09.

I got right on to my TA who called Carnival to be told "changes are happening - we will send a letter explaining it in the next few days". When my TA pressed them for answers the person said all would be in the letter.

Not very helpful is it.

H

What sailing were you on, we were on the Oct. 12, 2009 and have booked on the Oct. 1, 2009. We lost 4 couples from our group we would be glad to have you join us. Linda

Interesting. More fuel for the "Dream rumour" fire.

Summit is a nice ship. Not sure which category you've decided on, but we had one of the so-called 'Sweet 16' cabins with the extended balcony, twice the size of the normal balconies. Checking for your sailing, it looks like they are available -- any cabin from 6021-6035 on port side and 6016-6030 starboard. They're actually listed as a 2C, and even the Celebrity site doesn't distinguish the balcony size, but these are IMHO quite desirable.

That is great information, thank you!

I had to get a 2B myself because I needed an inside cabin for my kids.

I booked cabin 7118 and the inside is 7105, any inside info on those?

I'm getting more used to the change, I've always wanted to sail Celebrity. Now I just need to work more to pay for it! LOL

OH, is Starboard the best side for the Summit?

Interesting. More fuel for the "Dream rumour" fire.

Hmmm, when I asked they said absolutely not. I spoke with several supervisors and sent an email to a CCL executive.

I'm not sure why they would get so many people upset if they are planning on having the Dream take over some of the Freedom's sailings.

Our party of four are in the process of rebooking (waiting on final confirmation from TA) but we are not happy. The 50 dollar on board credit does not cover all of the increased fuel surcharges we are having to pay. We booked the Freedom before the fuel increase this spring but now have to bear the additional costs because of the rebooking on the Liberty. When I called my TA she also said she had not heard anything from Carnival about the Freedom cancellation of Europe in 2009 but after calling them on my behalf she said they are not honoring the previous fuel surcharge rates for rebookings. I put down $2,000 deposit way in advance of the 2009 sailing and I think Carnival should not be charging more money for those of us on the Freedom that rebook the Liberty.

Our party of four are in the process of rebooking (waiting on final confirmation from TA) but we are not happy. The 50 dollar on board credit does not cover all of the increased fuel surcharges we are having to pay. We booked the Freedom before the fuel increase this spring but now have to bear the additional costs because of the rebooking on the Liberty. When I called my TA she also said she had not heard anything from Carnival about the Freedom cancellation of Europe in 2009 but after calling them on my behalf she said they are not honoring the previous fuel surcharge rates for rebookings. I put down $2,000 deposit way in advance of the 2009 sailing and I think Carnival should not be charging more money for those of us on the Freedom that rebook the Liberty.

That's just not right. I understand these changes happen, but Carnival should be accomodating in turn and not turn this into more of a negative experience for their guest. Suggestion: post your experience the comments section of John Heald's blog. You might get some impact that way.

Well, I seem to be way behind all of my friends on Cruise Critic (lol). Just got word Sunday night from our TA that our August 2009 cruise was history. I have been scrambling like crazy to find a replacement cruise for our group of 4 couples. Decided on the Oosterdam and like the idea of visiting the east Med instead. Everything works out the way it should, I guess.

I just hope everyone else who was affected by this unexpected event finds a suitable replacement cruise. Now all I have to worry about is how much it’s going to cost to get there (lol).

John

That is great information, thank you!

I had to get a 2B myself because I needed an inside cabin for my kids.

I booked cabin 7118 and the inside is 7105, any inside info on those?

I'm getting more used to the change, I've always wanted to sail Celebrity. Now I just need to work more to pay for it! LOL

OH, is Starboard the best side for the Summit?

Yeah unfortunately no inside cabins on Deck 6 forward by the Sweet 16s... but the location you've chosen looks pretty good. Celebrity will be a different experience in some ways -- we sort of go back and forth between Celebrity and other lines, not terribly loyal to a brand but we do enjoy Celebrity. The side of the ship would, I suppose, depend on your itin more than anything.

Where did you see this info? Just curious to read about it for myself...crew assaulted??

I also read about it on another cruise forum. Cant mention it, but Im sure any cruise mate could find it.;)

A purser was punched in the face.

Two 80 year old men got in a fight at the dinner table and one had a butter knife to the others throat. From reports it was either over a woman or politics or maybe both!!

Hope I dont get in trouble..but here is an excerpt from Kuki's review:

According to today’s Carnival Capers tonight’s scheduled entertainment was the Guest Talent Show. But I had no idea they’d be entertaining in the showroom and the dining room.

During dinner tonight, at the 3rd table over from us a man, who I’d estimate to be in his mid-70s, attacked a table-mate, also of the same “vintage”, and held a knife to his throat. It would have been more fitting perhaps, if it was a butter knife, but it was a knife from the tableware. Thankfully it didn’t appear that the man had his own teeth, so he hadn’t ordered the steak, and it was a simple table knife.

At first I imagined that since a second serving of bread is sometimes difficult to come by in the dining room, they were fighting over a dinner roll, or perhaps the attacker had lost 80 cents to the victim playing bridge or gin rummy earlier in the day.

The incident was brought under control almost immediately by a group of vigilante 90 year olds who’d organized earlier in the day (just before their naps), to help take back our decks and restaurants and hallways from the younger criminal element, who calls themselves AARP, who’ve slowly been trying to take over the ship.

They had taken to drag racing their walkers up and down the indoor Promenade Deck (too windy outside), putting other less agile passengers at risk, and continuing this activity late into the night… well past 9 PM.

Rumors abound that for security purposes the Captain is going to put a 9PM curfew in place for everyone over 65. There’s simply no controlling them!

Alright, I admit to taking literary license with the last few paragraphs, but indeed, for the first time ever on any cruise I’ve been on I saw another passenger (and he is at least in his 70s), attack another passenger, and he did indeed put a knife to his throat. And I’ll admit it wasn’t over a dinner roll. It was in fact over a woman at the table.

They were all traveling single, and one man decided his friend was trying to move in on “his woman”, and that set off the incident.

We were booked on the June 2nd Freedom cruise and decided we liked the idea of doing the Baltic cruise. We got the same fuel surchage as before and the $50 credit in addition to the $200 we had from before. We had been on the Freedom last year on the Easter Med and wanted to do the Eastern portion. However, I figured "hey everything happens for a reason" and went with the Baltic cruise. Hoping to meet some great folks........Trapper

Do you really think Carnival cares? If they really cared, they would have done everything they could to keep you as a customer. They figure since they own so many cruise lines, they have a lock on the cruise industry!!

They might be in for big surprise, I bet the competitors love this.

Carnival likes playing games with people, just last week they had tons of cabins available on the Freedom for June, July, August of this year - now they say they are sold out - I heard from an inside source they sold these rooms at huge discount without ever posting the discounted price on their website. This way they didn't have to give people OBC - So there goes the best price guarantee!!

Archived