CCL Freedom pulled from summer 2009 Rome sailings!

quote=Kurbanfan Good business move or not.......Carnival leaves no other options for med cruisers other then to leave and cruise other lines.....not ridiculous at all........

True, but up until a couple of years ago Carnival didn't have a presence in Europe, so Carnival fans had to choose other lines then. It simply appears to be a market that Carnival wants to cut back on and is willing to give to other lines. Although a few will be upset, Carnival will probably gain much more by bringing the Freedom back to the US and expanding the east coast ports. And remember, Costa, a Carnival company, is the # 1 cruise line in Europe and they will still probably keep Princess and HAL there as well for the mass market. Who knows, they might even pull Costa from North America and have it exclusive to Europe????? I think with the fuel prices, high airfares, pain in the you know what problems with flying in general, the the entire travel industry will undergo massive changes in the next few months/years. I think everyone who still can afford to do these types of vacations will have adjust to these changes and be thankful they still have the ability to do what many will not.

quote=Kurbanfan Good business move or not.......Carnival leaves no other options for med cruisers other then to leave and cruise other lines.....not ridiculous at all........

True, but up until a couple of years ago Carnival didn't have a presence in Europe, so Carnival fans had to choose other lines then. It simply appears to be a market that Carnival wants to cut back on and is willing to give to other lines. Although a few will be upset, Carnival will probably gain much more by bringing the Freedom back to the US and expanding the east coast ports. And remember, Costa, a Carnival company, is the # 1 cruise line in Europe and they will still probably keep Princess and HAL there as well for the mass market. Who knows, they might even pull Costa from North America and have it exclusive to Europe????? I think with the fuel prices, high airfares, pain in the you know what problems with flying in general, the the entire travel industry will undergo massive changes in the next few months/years. I think everyone who still can afford to do these types of vacations will have adjust to these changes and be thankful they still have the ability to do what many will not.

I agree. And I also think your predictions of Costa is probably right on.

The next few years will be quite interesting to say the least.........

Cheryl I feel your pain. I can't take my kids out of school in Nov for a 12 night cruise. RCCL looks good. They are still doing the same ports. I wish I had the money to go this year, but its not going to happen. I plan on going 2010. Gives me time to pay it off. I don't like the costa ports for the western Med, But RCCL looks good

We were on the Oct. 12 sailing and now going on the Liberty Oct. 1st sailing but we lost all of our aft cabins. We had 11 afts as we booked the first day that the dates opened up. I checked RC for the sailing date and the ports are not the same and they wanted the same amount for their lowest inside cabin as what I am paying for an 8B balcony cabin.

I here you, I can't take my kids out of school, either, for an extended cruise.

I am very disappointed by Carnival's decision because I felt that they really had the best Grand Med itinerary for a someone like me who was cruising for the first time in Europe. I guess that I can't blame them, but, wow, I was really bummed out yesterday, that's for sure.

But, my disappointment lasted all of one day, though, and now I am booked on the Ruby Princess! Ha!

I've always wanted to try Princess and this turned out to be a good excuse to give them a whirl. Who knows, maybe I'll end up liking them better. Plus I suppose that it's good to try a variety of different cruise lines. Change is good, right?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my venting and rationalizing.

t.h.e.m.

Hey mek, we were going on the may 21st as well. we like celebrity, holland, and princess. do not like carnival or ncl but the ports were great, the price good, and that was the only time we could all go. do you know who sails from rome besides holland in may? we do not care for barcelona so that does limit us.

the reason cruises work in europe is that the price is fixed at us dollars and the same with air. the three days pre cruise hotel at 200 euros, trains, cars, taxis, meals is the tough part. we are going in nov. and got air for 580 nonstop from L.A.

We are not talking about the fall here. SUMMER! The summer sailings, when the kids are out of school are the ones that are hard to replace. I wish I could go in October, I would have the pick of the crop.

I am looking at next summer - just checked a popular on-line travel source and they have everything from 7 nights well below $1000 pp to 10 nights on HAL for around $1,500 pp and everything in between and up. Now if it absolutely has to be Carnival, then there probably is a problem, at least in the Med.

which cruise are you looking at? The OOsterdam 7/30/09? That pricing is okay, not sure if it fits my family's style. Plus, everyone wanted to go to Rome, but I can present it.

I had the 12 night med cruise booked (balcony) $2787.00 pp plus a $200.00 OBC.

I like the Legend and the Brilance, but both the July 19 & 31st have sold out balcony cabins. The 6/25/09 sailing is also sold out of double balcony cabins. That itinerary was very similar to the Freedom.

They obviously need one that sails from Boston, in my humble opinion!

Plus it needs to go someplace warm, not cold (ie not Canada)... And it needs to be a newer ship, not one of the older tubs that's on the cusp of being sold to the 3rd world market... And it needs to be cheap enough so I can afford it!

(Did I forget anythging?)

And just where can the boat go that meets your needs? I hear you, but from Boston it's a looong way south unless you like a lot of sea days. That's what you will end up having to go someplace warm.

But Canada isn't always cold - yesterday was 31 in Toronto and that's not F, but C on the scale, Today they say 32. :D :D

inco, did you actually expect proper knowledge of Canada from someone who thinks Europe is "3rd world"?! :eek: Good thing you indicated the Celsius scale, otherwise RatherBFishin would have really thought it's cold here. ;)

I think mek has some good points about the other Carnival lines that are cruising the Med. I bet someone looked at the big picture and saw that the Freedom was competing with HAL and Princess ships. And they probably want more Carnival ships to serve the US market from US ports. They probably are letting each line serve it's strengths. And I am sure air fare is a major factor. How many large families are going to book airfare to Rome vs. London or FLA?

If you go over to the RCL board, you will see that their cruises are being marketed as immersion cruises in many cases. Totally catering to the local populations. And I don't think they gave folks 1 years notice!

I too thought that the Freedom's itenarary was great with great pricing. I bet it reappears on a Princess or HAL ship.

I too thought that the Freedom's itenarary was great with great pricing. I bet it reappears on a Princess or HAL ship.

Or Costa.

BTW, On John Heald's blog yesterday he said to stand by for an announcement concerning the Dream next week.

Carnivals decision has more to do with the weak dollar making a U.S. vacation a bargain for European tourists. If Americans are finding it difficult to afford to goto Europe why not position ships were tourism is more attractive to another segment of the economy? Even if less Americans book cruises due to the economy Carnival maybe able to offer attractive cruise package to Europeans sailing out of U.S. ports. The other upside is reducing the necessity for many in the U.S. to fly to a port.

It would be great if the Dream takes over the Freedom Med cruises

That's exactly what I think is going to happen.

Originally, they said that the Dream was slated for completion Oct/09 but in a subsequent release they said June 09. It makes sense to me that Carnival would not want 3 ships in Europe in the summer of 2009, so they may have decided to keep the Freedom in Florida, have the Dream completed for late June and thereby save on trasferring the Freedom for early May and only miss May and some or all of June with a ship doing the Med itinerary. The Dream will probably do the Med itineraries for some of June right through to late October that the Freedom was supposed to do before it repositions to Florida.

From Carnival's standpoint, this makes great business and financial sense. There is usually more interest and hype for a new ship so I anticipate the new dream will sell well, especially if the Freedom isn't over there and the Liberty is only doing Baltic and not MEd cruises for the summer.

I was booked for the Freedom Med for May 21st and while I'm disappointed because there is no alternative for us, we are doing the Baltics THIS summer on the Splendor, so the Liberty next May is out, I understand why Carnival did this and am just glad they did it early enough that we hadn't bought flights, a year out is plenty of notice.

I'm not booking anything until the announcement for the Dream comes out next week. I'm betting it's doing the Med from at least July to October. If it is, I'm sure we'll be on it. Since I've already done the Med on the Freedom last summer I would love to sail the Dream instead. I love trying the ships when they're so new.:D

Originally, they said that the Dream was slated for completion Oct/09 but in a subsequent release they said June 09.

No, such release exists.

This is the latest

http://carnival-news.com/2008/05/07/the-pieces-start-coming-together/

http://carnival-news.com/2008/04/23/new-130000-ton-carnival-dream-to-be-based-at-port-canaveral/

If you have something contrary to that, please list it.

Sure it exists. :D

Here is a direct quote from the news release directly from Carnival

"Carnival is the largest and most popular cruise line in the world, with 22 "Fun Ships" operating voyages ranging from three to 18 days in length to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, New England, Canada, Bermuda, Europe, the Greek Isles and South America.

The line currently has three new ships on order, including the 113,300-ton Carnival Splendor, set to launch Carnival’s first Northern European cruise program July 13, 2008, and the 130,000-ton Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic – to be the largest “Fun Ships” ever constructed when they enter service in June 2009 and October 2011, respectively."

Here is the link to read for yourself.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/portholeawards_2007.aspx

If Carnival was smart, it will be ready in the summer to do a mini itinerary in the MEd just like the last new Carnival ships did and then head over to the US. Also the last 3 new Carnival ships were all ready before they were supposed to be. They have all sailed early, granted not 3 full months but as early as 1 month.

July to October is only 3 months. It can be done, I hope it is early and sailing the Med for late summer 2009. I guess we'll know for sure next week.

It actually makes perfect sense if this is why they cancelled the Freedom cruises, maybe they know that the Dream will be ready in June 2009 and it will do what the Freedom was supposed to do. These kind of huge decisions aren't made without alot of thought and reason, and this just kind of makes sense. At least I hope so:D

Also they never really say it will "Set sail" Oct 2009 just that it will be sailing out of Port Canaveral then. It could sail out of Europe first and be ready earlier. Stranger things have happened

Sure it exists. :D

Here is a direct quote from the news release directly from Carnival

"Carnival is the largest and most popular cruise line in the world, with 22 "Fun Ships" operating voyages ranging from three to 18 days in length to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, New England, Canada, Bermuda, Europe, the Greek Isles and South America.

The line currently has three new ships on order, including the 113,300-ton Carnival Splendor, set to launch Carnival’s first Northern European cruise program July 13, 2008, and the 130,000-ton Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic – to be the largest “Fun Ships” ever constructed when they enter service in June 2009 and October 2011, respectively."

Here is the link to read for yourself.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/portholeawards_2007.aspx

July to October is only 3 months. It can be done, I hope it is early and sailing the Med for late summer 2009. I guess we'll know for sure next week.

It actually makes perfect sense if this is why they cancelled the Freedom cruises, maybe they know that the Dream will be ready in June 2009 and it will do what the Freedom was supposed to do. These kind of huge decisions aren't made without alot of thought and reason, and this just kind of makes sense. At least I hope so:D

Also they never really say it will "Set sail" Oct 2009 just that it will be sailing out of Port Canaveral then. It could sail out of Europe first and be ready earlier. Stranger things have happened

Looks to me that someone at Carnival just transposed the dates. Because all the other press releases have Dream Oct 09 and Magic June 11.

I think you are setting yourself up for a disappointment. I cant see how they can construct a ship in 12 months. Dream might do a few Med cruises, but not a full season.

It doesnt make sense to pull a ship out and put a ship in, because they would be losing all the people that were already booked on Freedom.

Looks to me that someone at Carnival just transposed the dates. Because all the other press releases have Dream Oct 09 and Magic June 11.

I think you are setting yourself up for a disappointment. I cant see how they can construct a ship in 12 months. Dream might do a few Med cruises, but not a full season.

It doesnt make sense to pull a ship out and put a ship in, because they would be losing all the people that were already booked on Freedom.

Well, it could be a typo who knows, but no retraction or correction was ever made.

I'm not really setting myself up for disappointment, I'd love to sail the Dream next summer or early fall but there are lots of other ships and lines, I'll be on one of them. I would prefer a new Carnival ship though:D

Keep in mind that Carnival has not notified anyone officially that the Freedom is cancelled. It sure seems "odd" that they are letting this info out and within a week are supposed to announce the intinerary for the Dream. Hmmm IF (I'm just speculating) the Dream is ready early, that would just be the perfect ship for all those displaced Freedom cruisers to switch to. Good business sense. But like you said, if it's not done that early I think it will be done in time to do a Med trip or two and a TransAtlantic. I can't see them sailing her across empty. Some of those people who were booked on the Freedom for late Sept or early Oct. might get a chance to sail the Dream instead.

Either way, even though I'm one of the ones who was booked for Freedom Med 2009 and am now out of luck, having done all of Carnival's Europe itineraries, I can understand why they've done this. It's a new area for them, and with the future predictions of gas, it does make sense. But on the other hand, Carnival was the ONLY decently priced cruise over there. Many people who wouldn't normally choose Carnival in the Caribbean were willing to try it in Europe because the prices were so attractive and the ships so new. Who knows why they do what they do:D

Well, it could be a typo who knows, but no retraction or correction was ever made.

I'm not really setting myself up for disappointment, I'd love to sail the Dream next summer or early fall but there are lots of other ships and lines, I'll be on one of them. I would prefer a new Carnival ship though:D

Keep in mind that Carnival has not notified anyone officially that the Freedom is cancelled. It sure seems "odd" that they are letting this info out and within a week are supposed to announce the intinerary for the Dream. Hmmm IF (I'm just speculating) the Dream is ready early, that would just be the perfect ship for all those displaced Freedom cruisers to switch to. Good business sense. But like you said, if it's not done that early I think it will be done in time to do a Med trip or two and a TransAtlantic. I can't see them sailing her across empty. Some of those people who were booked on the Freedom for late Sept or early Oct. might get a chance to sail the Dream instead.

Either way, even though I'm one of the ones who was booked for Freedom Med 2009 and am now out of luck, having done all of Carnival's Europe itineraries, I can understand why they've done this. It's a new area for them, and with the future predictions of gas, it does make sense. But on the other hand, Carnival was the ONLY decently priced cruise over there. Many people who wouldn't normally choose Carnival in the Caribbean were willing to try it in Europe because the prices were so attractive and the ships so new. Who knows why they do what they do:D

There is a press release that Freedom is staying in FLL..how more official can you get?

Why wait a week? If they know for a fact that next week they will announce Dream will be sailing early, it make no sense and it a horrible business decision to cancel pax one week and bring out a new ship the next.

Pax would be overjoyed if they said, we are pulling Freedom out, but replacing her with a brand new Ship, but if you wait a week, that like a double whammy to those that have already rebooked.

They do what they do to make $$$ :)

There is a press release that Freedom is staying in FLL..how more official can you get?

Why wait a week? If they know for a fact that next week they will announce Dream will be sailing early, it make no sense and it a horrible business decision to cancel pax one week and bring out a new ship the next.

Pax would be overjoyed if they said, we are pulling Freedom out, but replacing her with a brand new Ship, but if you wait a week, that like a double whammy to those that have already rebooked.

They do what they do to make $$$ :)

You are assuming that the average passenger knows about this press release. I found out on here. Cruise critic amounts for a very very small percentage of cruisers. I bet barely anybody knows that the Freedom is cancelled. Who knows maybe they plan to offer the Dream for the late fall to cruisers displaced from the Freedom. The Dream is supposed to be made public sometime in the next week.

Nobody has bothered to notify me yet. I'll be surprised if anyone calls within a week to let me know my cruise is cancelled, by then, I'll know what the Dream's itinerary is.

We can speculate until we're blue in the face, and decisions that make no sense to us will to them and yes they do what they do to make money, but sometimes those decisions sure don't seem like it. Look at RCCL with their immersion cruises. They lost ALOT of passengers over that.

I still hope the Dream will be done early and sail the Med a time or two, if so I would be happy to change my cruise to fall 2009 to sail the Dream but I'm not willing to switch from the Freedom in May to the Liberty in the fall, I'll just find something else in the spring of 2009.

quote=SunFunCruiser

which cruise are you looking at? The OOsterdam 7/30/09? That pricing is okay, not sure if it fits my family's style. Plus, everyone wanted to go to Rome, but I can present it.

I had the 12 night med cruise booked (balcony) $2787.00 pp plus a $200.00 OBC.

I like the Legend and the Brilance, but both the July 19 & 31st have sold out balcony cabins. The 6/25/09 sailing is also sold out of double balcony cabins. That itinerary was very similar to the Freedom.

I think the itinerary most similar to the Freedom is the Legend for $2,899 for a balcony in June. All of the following do Rome, but the itineraries vary. Brilliance $2,899 + OBC, Solstice $2,299+OBC, Noordam $2,249. One thing to remember, these itineraries are so port intensive that the "style" of the ship is far less important, at least IMO, than when cruising the Caribbean. They all have good food and entertainment and kids/teens programs. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Hope this helps.

Originally, they said that the Dream was slated for completion Oct/09 but in a subsequent release they said June 09. It makes sense to me that Carnival would not want 3 ships in Europe in the summer of 2009, so they may have decided to keep the Freedom in Florida, have the Dream completed for late June and thereby save on trasferring the Freedom for early May and only miss May and some or all of June with a ship doing the Med itinerary. The Dream will probably do the Med itineraries for some of June right through to late October that the Freedom was supposed to do before it repositions to Florida.

From Carnival's standpoint, this makes great business and financial sense. There is usually more interest and hype for a new ship so I anticipate the new dream will sell well, especially if the Freedom isn't over there and the Liberty is only doing Baltic and not MEd cruises for the summer.

I was booked for the Freedom Med for May 21st and while I'm disappointed because there is no alternative for us, we are doing the Baltics THIS summer on the Splendor, so the Liberty next May is out, I understand why Carnival did this and am just glad they did it early enough that we hadn't bought flights, a year out is plenty of notice.

I'm not booking anything until the announcement for the Dream comes out next week. I'm betting it's doing the Med from at least July to October. If it is, I'm sure we'll be on it. Since I've already done the Med on the Freedom last summer I would love to sail the Dream instead. I love trying the ships when they're so new.:D

Lets hope

Archived