Navigator 5/24/08 review

We sailed on the Navigator 5/24/2008 voyage from Venice to Istanbul. This was not our first cruise, but it was the first on Regent. The overall impression of the cruise was very positive. The highlight was the crew who exceeded our expectations. The food on the cruise was variable, sometimes standard cruise fare and other times excellent. If you expect consistent fine dining on the Navigator you will be disappointed. The size of the ship was perfect. No mob scenes or long walks to any part of the ship. The veranda cabin we had (deck 7 mid-ship) was exceptional. I did feel significant vibration when we were in the ship’s aft area. I think cabins in the aft portion should be avoided. The self-laundry facilities are way too limited. If you plan to use the laundary be prepared for unstructured queuing and having your clothes removed by other passengers. One aspect of the ship that I haven’t read comments on is a sense of stodginess. We felt that too much of the entertainment was Sinatra era and quite dated. We are in our mid-60’s, but are also a product of the 1960’s and felt out of place with our love beads.

Thanks for your review. Overall, it sounds like a positive experience.

Your observation re stodginess is interesting, and not something I've ever encountered in the 9 cruises I've done on RSSC. Yes, there's a Sinatra emphasis in the alternative restaurant--really I think because the fellow who sings there sounds so much like Sinatra. But I hope Sinatra doesn't connote stodginess, since I have quite a few of his songs on my ipod (along with the Stones, Johnny Cash, Buckwheat Zydaco, and the London Symphony to name a few).

I have encountered some stodgy people on my cruises, certainly, but they were fairly easy to steer away from. Maybe I've just been fortunate, but have always found fun people to hang with.

I have only been on two Regent cruses, a Med one and a Caribbean one, which tend to trend downward, but I've seen production shows, comedy, magicians, a dreadful Beatles entertainment, and some really great cabaret singers. If I saw any strong emphasis, it might be a lot of British acts, but both cruises, people danced and even solos could dance with others or with the gentlemen hosts.

Our last cruise had lots of us in our 40s and 50s, including the delightful crys.

One of the main reasons I picked Regent for Christmas is that I am hoping a bit is going on with the crowd and that people come out at night.

We also experienced lots of movementon Navigator in the aft section. That disco really rocked! Because of the movement issues, I would not book guarantee on this ship I don't think unless it was the only way on.

On our 4/2007 Western Carribean cruise, I searched for the vibration (very hard to find) -- I did a reivew on CC. Depending upon the "motion of the ocean" there is a vibration on the Navigator -- however, it is not on every cruise. I agree that selecting a suite mid-ship or slightly forward (lower decks) is the best insurance that you will not be bothered by any vibration.

In terms of food. . . . it has been my experience that "consistancy" is rarely possible -- even with a 5 star restaurant in major cities. When you look at a cruise line -- they are dependent upon what is available at the ports they stop at (or from the freezer). As I discussed a couple of weeks ago on our Alaska cruise (Mariner), the halibut on the first night (Signatures) was not very good. However, a couple of nights later (after seafood was delivered from Alaska to the ship) -- the food was extraordinary (La Veranda).

We have been on all Regent ships -- and, look forward to our Navigator cruise in February, 2009 (as well as our October, 2008 Voyager sailing.). Regent is not for everyone -- it is a personal thing. If you prefer another cruise line -- no problem -- more room for us!

One aspect of the ship that I haven’t read comments on is a sense of stodginess. We felt that too much of the entertainment was Sinatra era and quite dated. We are in our mid-60’s, but are also a product of the 1960’s and felt out of place with our love beads.

I know what you mean. I don't really think they have cottoned on to the baby boomer's entertainment needs yet. They are still stuck back in the previous demographic--big glitzy broadway show-tunes, big band stuff, etc. But then I'm not a big show person, and even an elvis impersonator wouldn't impress me (lol!) They have one pianist, Hal Fraser, currently on the Paul Gauguin, who is very good and specializes in Elton John. I always enjoy him. I've just turned 60.

.......... I've just turned 60.

So did Elton John!

I would expect that such a short cruise, far away, should attract a younger ( more passengers under 60 ) crowd.

Archived